The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 07:53 PM

Can’t speak to those vintage ones, but as an owner of an ll16, I can say first hand that guitar is no joke, don’t know how it’s as cheap as it is, high quality, superb sound.
Old 03-29-2020, 08:47 PM

If you can, check out the A5 series. Could be a sleeper...

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster

Last edited by jp2558; 03-29-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:51 PM

Default Need Advice on Yamaha Acoustic

I love Yamaha guitars and I got 4 of them: AC4Kii, FG5, LS-TA, and FS820. They are all different but all great! Once in a while I get sudden urges to sell one of them or maybe two to upgrade to a Martin or a Taylor or whatever else but then I play them and realize I don’t really need anything, I got a Yamaha guitar to scratch whatever guitar itch I may get
Old 03-29-2020, 10:44 PM

I agree with you about how great Yamaha guitars are. I can't help with your question. The LS 26 is probably the best guitar I've owned. I would never consider resale value a big factor. Playability, sound, and my enjoyment/ease of play are what's important to me. Good luck. Keep us apprised .
Old 03-29-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts67 View Post
Can't provide any input on vintage models, but I have a new FSX5 and it is excellent. I can say without a doubt that it competes with the Martin 00-18. and you can get the FS5 (no pickup) model for $1200, or less if you shop around for a used one.
+ 1.

I bought a FS5 new in May 2019 instead of a Martin 00-18. It costs half the price of a new 00-18 and IMHO just as good...if not better....but that is debatable. I love Martin guitars too.

The FS5 is MIJ, and has A.R.E. (torrefied) Sitka top. It has an aged warm tone with lush overtones. It has mahogany back n sides.

If you’re looking for a rosewood back n sides Yamaha, then these Red Label guitars may not be suitable.

Enjoy your search for your next Yamaha! I see you really love Yamaha guitars as shown in your signature. Welcome to AGF!
Taylor GS Mini Koa (2017)
Martin LX1 (2009)
Old 03-30-2020, 08:17 AM

Welcome to the forum GirlNextDoor.

I cannot comment on the higher end LL's - the cost difference between the LL16 and the LL26 is significant. I have an LL16D and it is terrific - not made in Japan but the build is superb.

I also agree that buying a used model - regardless of what you decide - is the right way to go. There is an LL16D on Reverb in excellent condition available now - the listed price is probably a tad high - you can likely get it for a bit less.

https://reverb.com/item/33030209-yam...ctric-with-hsc

I am not affiliated at all with the seller.....
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM

Hi Justin:

Thanks for the info about the posting on Reverb. I watch that site all the time. I did look at the LL16D that is posted. In addition to the LL16D, I saw a used FG-180 50th Anniversary model with upgrades. I happen to like Mahogany b/s acoustics a lot, and have watched some comparison YT videos with the old 60's FG-180 and the 50th Anniversary model. The newer model sounded phenomenal. The L-15 model that is one of the items I am interested in, a Japan-made custom shop guitar is also on Reverb - mint condition.

I wish that I could actually see a higher end model in person but it's next to impossible. That being said, I bought a used LD-10 from Guitar Center, and it is a beauty, all set up with electronics. I've been really lucky buying used acoustics at Music Go Round as well.

This quest is keeping me centered and focused on something other than work and this health crisis. I am a librarian so I like doing research. LOL.

Deb

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Welcome! Gee, I'm surprised no one with vintage Yammie experience has responded. Lots of them around here, or so I thought. I owned a vintage FG-150 for a while but ended up selling it. I called Yamaha and based on the serial number they said it was built between 71-'72. While it produced a stunning tone that rivaled my solid wood mahogany Martin, it did suffer from neck issues. My luthier said it needed a neck reset, which many vintage Yammies do. It was not worth undertaking. I would be careful about the need for neck resets.

By the way, I have bought and sold guitars on Reverb. It's really been very easy, and I've had great experiences.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post

Hi Justin:

Thanks for the info about the posting on Reverb. I watch that site all the time. I did look at the LL16D that is posted. In addition to the LL16D, I saw a used FG-180 50th Anniversary model with upgrades. I happen to like Mahogany b/s acoustics a lot, and have watched some comparison YT videos with the old 60's FG-180 and the 50th Anniversary model. The newer model sounded phenomenal. The L-15 model that is one of the items I am interested in, a Japan-made custom shop guitar is also on Reverb - mint condition.

I wish that I could actually see a higher end model in person but it's next to impossible. That being said, I bought a used LD-10 from Guitar Center, and it is a beauty, all set up with electronics. I've been really lucky buying used acoustics at Music Go Round as well.

This quest is keeping me centered and focused on something other than work and this health crisis. I am a librarian so I like doing research. LOL.

Deb

Hello,

I have a vintage FG-180 w/red label. The guitar shop I got it from, which specialized in old, expensive guitars (paraphrasing..), had it listed as an “80’s” model. However, after talking to a Luthier who owns his own shop and knows infinitely more than me about such matters, I have now come to believe that it is from the late 60’s or possibly early 70’s.

Anyway, I’ve had it for about 5 years, and at the time it came from a one owner home (Father who was looking to upgrade to a Martin he’d always dreamt of, but now that kids were away at college, would finally be in reach). It had had a, “recent neck reset,” & somewhere a long the way, a bone nut & saddle.

I can’t speak to any of the other Yamaha’s; but I have primarily played Guild acoustics from the 90’s (like the D-25 / D-4; or DV-6, which is like a D-40). And I can’t tell you how much this sounds like a really nice old guitar, despite being laminate — I guess there’s 7 layers in the construction?

Whatever it is, in my head it reminds me of a vintage D-18 in terms of tone, mind you I’ve rarely played, let alone owned one of those!

I should also note that for a good while I also had a Bourgeois Vintage D. And I always told folks, that if my house were on fire, and I had to run back in and could only grab one—id be perfectly fine either way... (& that’s not an exaggeration!).

The newer anniversary model (50th FG), looks very nice. I don’t know a lot about them, but as I understand it they are all solid wood, and have a wider nut width (though I don’t know if the neck profile or shape is like mine: which is kind of a fuller, thicker ‘V’ shape // however with the skinnier nut, my 5’ 6” frame can handle it with a plum!).. sorry I babbled; it’s what I do best—

P. S.) it does seem to come with a nice case, and like my Dad always said, “You don’t play the case!” (but for some strange reason, I tend to get hung up on it; especially when used it comes with one that doesn’t fit—my favorite models had an archback design, &’so if not original, they were always notorious for such things.)

P.P.S.)) I have had much luck with Guitar Center & Music Go Round, too... (our local one is great!)
Old 03-30-2020, 10:23 AM

I've got an FG-180 50th Anniversary and they are the real deal. The tone comparisons and YouTube reviews are very accurate. I had long searched for a used D-18 and when the 50th came up for sale locally, I grabbed it. I finger picked it for 30 seconds and shook the sellers hand. It does have a 1.75" nut which may not suit some. Mine is all stock and the tone is so rich and full, I have never felt the need to upgrade. Sometimes you pick up a guitar and it sounds so sweet, you don't want to touch a thing. This is one of them. The consistency of Yamaha guitars is truly amazing. Right up there with Guild.

Good luck with your searches, Deb, and let us know how it goes. Cheers.

Dan
Old 03-30-2020, 10:25 AM

Hi GuitarsforLife:

I had to laugh out loud when I saw your comment about guitar cases...because I, too get hung up on those. I just chalk it up to my being my usual nerdy self. I like the archtop versions the best too.

When I listened to the YT video comparison on the two FG-180 models, I noticed that some of the subscribers mentioned that these models sounded a lot like a D-18. I haven't seen a Martin D-18 in person either.

It's funny that you mentioned Guild guitars because I have looked at those as well on Reverb, particularly the Tacoma Washington built D50 Bluegrass Special. I have never seen an older Guild and I don't know anyone who owns one. Those dreds look large to me, particularly the D55, their flagship model.

I have relatives who played in a band for years, and they all had Gibson electrics, really expensive awesome guitars but I was just a kid then and admired them from afar.

I just love guitars I guess...it blows me away something made out of wood, or carbon can make such beautiful sound, based on the type of wood, and its internal bracing. Just amazing.

Thanks for your input. Everyone on this forum has been so gracious.

Deb

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-30-2020, 10:29 AM

I had a 90's MIJ LL400 and recently an LL-TA. The Japanese acoustic was just superb. I found the Chinese LL to be overbuilt, and I found the neck to be a little chunky for my liking.
If I had $$, I would get the FSX5. I'm a big Yamaha fan.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:39 AM

Yeah, believe me: I can get way too sentimentally attached to my instruments... I regularly post up pictures of guitars gone by on social media (should probably caption them, “r.i.p.” or something or other!).

Honestly, guilds are great guitars. When I started playing about 20 years ago, I think they may have been part of the top or big three, If not, certainly 4 (can’t remember where Taylor was in the mix-but surely coming on strong). Gibson and Martin being the others that I am aware of.

In my particular market they had a certain popularity, that coupled with the fact that some of my favorite artists played them—this was the 90’s—got me started on my journey.

They were once thought to be suitable substitutes for some of the other makers because they were slightly cheaper. They have their fans, but they are far far fewer than the rest. And especially with the many many relocations of factories since the closing of the famed Westerly, R. I. plant in 2001.

Since then, they’ve been to Corona (I think?), Tacoma, New Hartford & now Cordoba- or wherever that factory is...again, I think!

I haven’t honestly kept up with all the changes and I’m one of their biggest fans. Locally, they’ve not had a presence new in shops—save the foreign / import models —since that time (~apx. turn of the century).

Let’s Talk Guild is the forum to be brought up to speed in rather short order should you choose to dive into that pool. They have their own space, and sound, etc. I like them because they’re what I know (though the old Yamaha reminds me more of some of them than any other I’ve owned).

The models I referenced are all dreads. The D-40 would be like a D-18, I think... the guild forum is full of nerds and I say this in the most complimentary way (it is on a much smaller scale than here, in terms of sheer numbers; kind of like the popularity of the brand).

I don’t have any experience with the Tacoma D-50 bluegrass special. But they do. First hand, in some cases. Off hand I believe it’s got an Adirondack/red spruce top, and Indian rosewood back and sides. If it doesn’t say B.G., then I think it is Sitka Sorice—

If I were given a black check: I’d probably be on the lookout for an F-30. This is kind of like a 000–18. Spruce & mahogany. Lots of folks have played these, and the few I’ve gotten my hands on have been perfect for me.

But they, like a lot of other models within the brand and it’s varying nomenclature (like now, for instance), can get mindnumbing-ly confusing. Meaning depending on which era you look at, specs can change...

Sorry again if this is a jumbled mess! Hope there was something in there that was of informative purposes. Best wishes!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Hi GirlNextDoor

Welcome to the AGF!

I have owned an LL-35 and it was fantastic. I currently own a L-20A which is the next model up from the L-15 you mentioned. Again that guitar would be fantastic as well.

You could not go wrong with either guitar, and both will sound fairly similar. Now, the LL-35 is made of "Jacaranda" rosewood. Jacaranda is a nick name that Yamaha has used for many types of exotic rosewoods including Brazilian and Madagascar and Coral rosewoods, all of which Yamaha has used since the late 60's early 70's on their upper end models. The LL-35 that I owned appeared to be made with Madagascar Rosewood. The L-15's are made with Indian Rosewood. They will both sound similar, with maybe...MAYBE...the Indian Rosewood L-15 sounding a touch smoother and warmer/deeper...MAYBE.

Either guitar is really equally well made. If you are buying online, I would go with whichever looks better to you, just basic aesthetics, and/or whichever seems in better shape or is a better price, or any combination of factors thereof.

You WILL NOT go wrong with either!!! They are both really superb guitars, and I would stay with one of those two over the LL-16 and even the LL-26, though the LL-26 is also on par quality wise with the LL-35 and L-15.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Hi Duff:

Thanks for your response. It is so appreciated. I almost nabbed a used L-20A that was posted on Guitar Center's site this past month. I just didn't get to it fast enough. I do have a question for you since you have owned an LL35. There is an LL35 in excellent condition on Ebay for sale now, and there is also a LL35 on Reverb listed for tons more money. The thing is, the item for sale on Ebay looks like the L15 with the inlaid purfling that resembles marquetry. It's supposed to be a 1986 model. The bill of sale is included in the photo carousel, and it clearly shows that it's an LL35. Also, the pick guard is not the standard Yamaha style; it looks more like the older models where the dove was used on the headstock.

The listing for the LL35 on Reverb shows a modified jumbo body style with normal white binding with black railroad lines. There is abalone around the soundhole. When I have googled the LL35 the images that are displayed all show the plain binding and the standard pick guard.

I am just confused, and perhaps there is a simple answer - models changed from year to year. Any thoughts? What did your LL35 look like?

Thanks!

Deb

Yamaha DW-15
Yamaha LD-10
Yamaha FG-461S
Yamaha FG- 450SA
Recording King RD10
Old 03-30-2020, 05:54 PM

" I almost nabbed a used L-20A that was posted on Guitar Center's site this past month. I just didn't get to it fast enough."

There were two L-20A Yamaha guitars on the GC site last month.
One of them was mine.
It was the onw with a John Pearse Arm Guard on it.
The guitar was starting to show signs of age.
The binding was starting to life in a few places and the frets were about ready for replacement.
The neck was straight though and the tone was fantastic!
The asking price was about right.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
yamaha acoustic, yamaha ll16, yamaha ll35