The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Build Thread: Circa 000-12c German Spruce and Euro Maple

I first started talking to John in 2008, in part because of the posts from fellow member, Jim Magill. I've played many examples of his work over the years, but it wasn't until 2016 that I received my first Circa - my beloved Adi/Madi OM.

I commissioned two additional Circas a few years ago with the firm belief that John Slobod was/is making the best vintage Martin replicas available today. Since my tastes are firmly rooted in that tradition, having started to evolve in 2012 after many visits to Schoenberg Guitars, it seemed like a great idea to queue a couple of builds with John to satisfy my passion for the vintage Martin sound in its various manifestations.

While I had many ideas for what to do on these additional slots, it wasn't until I played one of John's maple 000s two years ago that it became clear to me what I really wanted in my next build. John delivered a German spruce and maple 000-12 (non cutaway) to Schoenberg last year that so thoroughly blew me away that I decided to commission its cutaway-equipped twin. My review of that Circa can be found here. It was quickly snatched up by someone who I believe may have read the review.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=451997

Although I generally prefer red spruce, John felt very stiff German spruce would be a good pairing with maple. I wouldn't want to go against his advice. To me, the 000-12c is a fantastic guitar because it has the punch of presence of an OM but with a deeper bass and more girth.

Body: 000-12 with cutaway
Top: German spruce (Slobod "killer" grade)
Back and Sides: Euro maple (also Slobod "killer" grade)
Neck: One piece mahogany
Headstock: Slotted
Neck Profile: Medium C
Tuning Machines: Waverly
Frets: EVO Gold 55090
Bridge: Ebony pyramid
Fingerboard: Ebony
Binding: Ivoroid
Purfling and center strip: Style 28 center strip and herringbone top purfling
Nut spacing: 3 7/16"
Saddle spacing: 5 37/38"
Case: Hoffee

Here are some photos of the German spruce top, which is super stiff across and along the grain. Very tight grain spacing.

And the European maple, still rough sanded, but the flame comes through nicely.

Last edited by justonwo; 08-08-2018 at 02:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Photos of the final guitar:

Last edited by justonwo; 09-23-2020 at 09:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Of all the things John is capable of, this, to me, is his wheelhouse. He has perfected the 12 fret 000 IMO, particularly when married to some European maple. I will follow this thread very closely. My OM is a few weeks out. I'm expecting excellence.

Mark
Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Man, I am really into John’s Euro Maple Guitars....The wood sets John selected for your build are sick! Is this build starting soon?
Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHw View Post
Man, I am really into John’s Euro Maple Guitars....The wood sets John selected for your build are sick! Is this build starting soon?
Yes, he’s about the join the plates. John always has the best wood. It’s almost unfair.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Yes, he’s about the join the plates. John always has the best wood. It’s almost unfair.

Awesome! Looking forward to this build~
Old 08-06-2018, 05:03 PM

This is going to be a good, fun, descriptive thread!
Old 08-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

I always enjoy watching John work (thanks for sharing)... A good maple guitar is a joy to play.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yummy maple

Ahhhhh.... maple. Yum

This will be fun to follow. I LOVE my new John Kinnaird OVERLORD in figured Maple and Cedar.

Looking forward to following this beauty! Thanks for sharing...

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 08-06-2018, 10:45 PM

This build is going to rock!

John is an absolute wizard with maple, and it's a shame that there aren't more of his maple guitars out there. He definitely loves working with maple.

I am still beaming about my adi/maple OM. It is insanely good. I can only imagine how good your 000c is going to be.

It's funny that he told you he's using "killer" grade woods on your build. He told he was using "retirement" grade woods on mine.

Can't wait to see/hear how build evolves!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:05 PM
Charter Member

Well good grief man...Circa, and materials like this will make a unicorn. I think it’s Eric Schoenberg who says a 12 fret w a cutaway is the ideal...well done everywhere Juston.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerFoodie View Post
This build is going to rock!

John is an absolute wizard with maple, and it's a shame that there aren't more of his maple guitars out there. He definitely loves working with maple.

I am still beaming about my adi/maple OM. It is insanely good. I can only imagine how good your 000c is going to be.

It's funny that he told you he's using "killer" grade woods on your build. He told he was using "retirement" grade woods on mine.

Can't wait to see/hear how build evolves!
Killer is his favorite word to describe tonewood. Makes me laugh every time. Did you buy the 000-12 from Schoenberg? I was trying to figure out who bought that guitar? It rocked my world.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
Killer is his favorite word to describe tonewood. Makes me laugh every time. Did you buy the 000-12 from Schoenberg? I was trying to figure out who bought that guitar? It rocked my world.
I remember reading your review at the time and seriously thought about driving to Schoenberg to test drive it. I am ashamed to admit that the reasons why I didn't want to fall in love with it is because it didn't have a maple neck and a cutaway. I have a rule now that if it's a 12 fretter, it needs to have a cutaway.

With my build, I vacillated between an OM and a 000c. I'm still tempted by the thoughts of a 000c - I believe Al's current Circa is a 000c.

There is a 00 in maple there that really piques my curiosity. No cutaway, but I really do not _need_ another guitar!

I am seriously considering another Circa build, but so far have resisted all temptation to commission another.

Your guitar is going to rock!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

KILLER...!!!!
Old 08-07-2018, 01:13 PM

So awesome. One of the most memorable guitars I have ever played is Mike D's Euro Maple Circa. With the matching neck!

Its gonna be amazing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop