The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM

Default String Squeak

Hi Folks! This may be a player problem, but I have an enormous amount of string squeak on my Alvarez Parlor Guitar. It was happening on the original strings and is happening with GHS Americanas I have on it now. My other acoustics and the 12 string don’t squeak nearly as much. Is it the reduced tension on the short scale combined with my potentially ham hock technique?! Any advice, or light hearted technique jabbing, would be welcome!!

Mark
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM

Using coated strings seems to help for me
Old 06-19-2019, 12:58 PM

I have extremely sweaty hands and I don’t get squeaky noises. However sometimes my hands get extremely dry, and that’s when I notice the squeak. Maybe try lubrifating your hands with water?
Old 06-19-2019, 01:43 PM

Elixir Polyweb strings are among the least squeaky choices. I actually use them when recording for that reason. You hear finger squeak much more easily in a recording than in live situations. Of course, good technique minimizes the squeak but no one is perfect. Some brands and types of strings are just squeakier than others.

I've read that classical guitarist John Williams uses a bowl of warm water in the studio. He soaks his fingertips for a minute or two, dries them thoroughly, then rolls tape.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post
Hi Folks! This may be a player problem, but I have an enormous amount of string squeak on my Alvarez Parlor Guitar. It was happening on the original strings and is happening with GHS Americanas I have on it now. My other acoustics and the 12 string don’t squeak nearly as much. Is it the reduced tension on the short scale combined with my potentially ham hock technique?! Any advice, or light hearted technique jabbing, would be welcome!!

Mark
Lower the tension somewhat on one or more of your other guitars and see if the squeaks increase when played.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-19-2019, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

I like to hear squeak when listening. It is such a natural sound, and helpful in knowing when the fingers are moving.

Last edited by vintage40s; 06-20-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:06 PM

Recently, I tried coated strings (Elixir) for the first time. For certain songs, I've had to work hard on improving my technique to reduce string squeaks and have had some success by concentrating on completely lifting a finger off a string before moving it to a new position on the same string. But I still do get some string squeaks. The coated strings reduced the remaining squeaks to almost nothing. Not sure that's a good thing technique-wise (seems like cheating), but they definitely helped. The downside for me with those strings is that they're not quite as bright as I like and they are actually slippery enough that I occasionally run into left hand finger moves where a finger slips off a string. That takes some technique adjustment to fix.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:07 PM

More pronounced on newer than older strings is my experience.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:42 PM

You should try Finger-Ease. $4-$5 per can. You can spray it on, or like me, wipe it on with a sponge applicator (saves product). It's supposed to make strings last longer, but I don't know about that. But it will reduce friction and while it won't eliminate string squeak it will reduce it.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-19-2019, 03:55 PM
Guest 728

D'addario Flat Tops
Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colder View Post
Using coated strings seems to help for me
I thought that increased squeakiness was a main feature (or issue) of coated strings ...
Old 06-19-2019, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post

Yeah this. Maybe silk wraps too, but I havent tried those in about 20 years so I dont know for sure
Old 06-19-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarxan View Post

Mark
Hi Mark, I've seen, and sometimes had this issue, and I would say that it a combination of three things.

1. New strings, or newer than on your other guitars,
2. Parlour guitar? Perhaps more treble yhan your oyhetr guitars,

and ...

3. the player ! Technique. I used to know a chap that bought loads of really expensive guitars, and played fairly well, but I simply couldn't bear to listen to him because he really made his strings screech.

I suppose it is something to do with the habit of sliding your fingers up/down open strings.

It is worth continuing with the strings until they mellow down a little and also try to look at what you bare doing that causes it, to see if you can modify your method to minimise or eliminate this.

Remember that small bodied guitars often give more trebles, compared to the bass that you might be accustomed to on your other guitars.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I thought that increased squeakiness was a main feature (or issue) of coated strings ...
The reason I tried Elixirs for the first time was because a professional finger style player who was going to play my guitars requested them. One of the things she likes about them is reduced squeaks.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:16 PM

There is definitely a technical element here. Visualize yourself hammering-on an entire chord the instant you want to play it. This eliminates a significant amount of squeek.

Barring that, it helps to grow old and slow down a bit. If this is not an option, coated strings help. Seriously, however, I squeek a lot less in my 60s than I did in my 20s. It's kinda nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion