The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 09:13 PM

Default Gibson Masterbuilt strings- part deux

I started an earlier thread talking about the Gibson Masterbuilt strings as they sounded and played on my Martin D35. I have to say without equivocation, they are different than any other PB strings I've tried. They are warm and full. I had to try them on my Taylor 814ceDLX even though the Elixirs it had on it were only 2 weeks old (I've saved them for another time).

At first blush, I think I could throw these strings on and go do a gig moments after. They sound absolutely terrific on this guitar, which surprised me. Today I would have to say they're probably the best sounding strings I have had on this 814. But that's today, with fresh, new out-of-the-package strings. In this moment they have the right amount of everything. Will I feel that way tomorrow, in three days, in a week and half? Only time will tell.

But what I can say based on my experience with the D35, is that someone who has a guitar that sounds a little to harsh or bright or strident... Try these strings. There is just something about them that no other string has.

Stay tuned... Tomorrow is another day and I will come back with an update regarding how the strings settle.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-18-2019, 10:28 PM
Guest 728

Thanks for keeping us posted -- I'm following this thread series with great interest!
Old 06-18-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Thanks for keeping us posted -- I'm following this thread series with great interest!
Me too
Old 06-19-2019, 04:56 AM

Their Masterbuilt 80/20’s are the benchmark for my J35 so far. But aren’t they made by someone else? When I researched this several months ago, most of the learned folks around here seemed to conclude that D’Addario was making them for Gibson. I have yet to try the D’Addario’s. And of course, it could be a different formulation of wrap, etc.., so that the Gibson strings aren’t just re-badged D’Addarios.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 AM

Good luck trying to find out who makes the Masterbuilts for Gibson.It's one of the great mysteries of our lifetime.
I was never a fan of any 80-20's but the Masterbuilts on a J45 are...right!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2019, 05:11 AM

it is a fact, Gibson Masterbuilt strings are made by D'Addario.

I like them as well (My favs are Phospher Bronze). Don't last as long as Elixir Nano PBs but they're also about half the cost.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perchman View Post
Their Masterbuilt 80/20’s are the benchmark for my J35 so far. But aren’t they made by someone else? When I researched this several months ago, most of the learned folks around here seemed to conclude that D’Addario was making them for Gibson. I have yet to try the D’Addario’s. And of course, it could be a different formulation of wrap, etc.., so that the Gibson strings aren’t just re-badged D’Addarios.
Ditto on my J35. I'm going to have to try the PB's also.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
it is a fact, Gibson Masterbuilt strings are made by D'Addario.

I like them as well (My favs are Phospher Bronze). Don't last as long as Elixir Nano PBs but they're also about half the cost.
How do you know that? No offense, but I need proof.

If it's true are they manufactured to a "proprietary spec" designated by Gibson?

Can't wait to hear your reply...seriously.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM

I got that from Gibson Customer Service.

if you want more proof, not sure to tell ya..
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
How do you know that? No offense, but I need proof.

If it's true are they manufactured to a "proprietary spec" designated by Gibson?

Can't wait to hear your reply...seriously.
Yes, a "proprietary spec" made for Gibson. They are not just re-branded, re-packaged D'Addario strings.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Day2 update:

The strings have mellowed overnight. They still sounded good, but lost some articulation. I tried a few bridge pin tricks to see what could bring them back to what I was liking last night. I had a couple fails along the way, but learned some things.

I first tried a complete set of Buffalo Horn pins. Yes, it brought back a ton of articulation, but at the expense of some warmth. But along the way I made a mistake and put the wrong pin in the Low E. I'll explain the issue below. I also discovered that ebony pins are brighter than I previously realized. I was short one buffalo pin and temporarily put that in the high E string and the timbre was just "off".

As it stands, I have a set of ebony pins from 1-4 with 5&6 being buffalo horn. It seems that the 1-4 ebony bring back the richness and the buffalo pins add back the articulation that got a little muddy overnight. These are WARM sounding strings. So anyone who asks "which strings are warm?" it's gotta be these.

My screw-up was in swapping pins without a great light, in the Low E, I accidentally put in a custom pin sent to me by Knives&Guitars. It is a buffalo pin, with a hollowed out center and a brass or copper tube inserted. Let me tell you, this pin created uncontrolled sustain in that string. It was just so out of character from the others it was shocking. I think it was the harmonics that just kept on and on and on. Obviously I searched for a solid buffalo pin and that solved that problem. [picture below- note the 6th string pin]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridgepins_6hollow.jpg (27.8 KB, 172 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Yes, a "proprietary spec" made for Gibson. They are not just re-branded, re-packaged D'Addario strings.
You're correct, each spec for 3rd parties adhere to a different standard.
If you compare EJ16s to Masterbuilts, they are different.

Gibson J200 strings have red silk wraps, so even among these, there are variations.

There was a D'Addario Factory Tour video that was circulating a few years ago, company names were not specified, but there was a segment where they talked about this, and how they can adjust their manufacturing process to provide the proper specs as defined by the contracts.

Not exactly a gripping video to watch but it was a bit interesting to know what goes into this. More than you'd think.. (At least more than I realized)
Old 06-19-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I got that from Gibson Customer Service.

if you want more proof, not sure to tell ya..
Ok thanks, much appreciated!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You're correct, each spec for 3rd parties adhere to a different standard.
If you compare EJ16s to Masterbuilts, they are different.

Gibson J200 strings have red silk wraps, so even among these, there are variations.

There was a D'Addario Factory Tour video that was circulating a few years ago, company names were not specified, but there was a segment where they talked about this, and how they can adjust their manufacturing process to provide the proper specs as defined by the contracts.

Not exactly a gripping video to watch but it was a bit interesting to know what goes into this. More than you'd think.. (At least more than I realized)

That makes sense as the Gibson Strings don't look or sound the same as their
D'Addario counterparts.
I find the 80-20's lose that zing (thankfully to my ears) pretty quickly. They then settle in to a nice punchy warm tone which is still articulate. Unfortunately, it seems that only lasts for a couple of weeks of everyday playing...at least for me.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-19-2019, 02:11 PM

Is there a coated Masterbuilt?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion