The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2019, 11:28 AM

Default My name is Tom and I'm a string-aholic

String fickle....string ADD...bi-polar string disorder. That's me.

Each time I get a new guitar I spend a small fortune changing strings every few weeks in search of the elusive 'perfect for me.' All things considered, it's really not the money. String choices are personal and a small price to pay. But I've tried so many on my Martin D-18 and D-16RGT and it can be frustrating. Both my dreads are set-up identically so that's out of the equation. The struggle is real.

Removing mediums is the first change I make to any guitar that comes standard with them. Light gauge is always my starting point and there's
no point listing every string I've tried. It'd be easier just providing a link to a string vendor who stocks everything. That's how it seems anyway. But this I will say....though I own only Martins my ears and fingers just don't bond with Martin strings (except perhaps Retros). Not a bash, just preference.

Two weeks ago I installed DR Sunbeam Lights on my D-16RGT. A possible eureka moment....volume increased somewhat, the tone rich and full, and most of all the round-core design makes for a happy left hand.

Yesterday I replaced the DR Rare Lights on my D-18 with Sunbeams. Same basic results as the D-16RGT, and the Sunbeams even seem to accentuate the inherent properties of mahogany.

The biggest surprise is that I no longer 'death grip' the neck, and that's allowed for a more relaxed posture.

Hope this feeling lasts.....
Old 06-11-2019, 12:54 PM

Hi Tom, my name is Rick, and I too am a string-a-holic. I used to mainline Retros, but finally found some redemption in Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and DR Sunbeams. I like 11's, except on my cheap RK 12-fret slot-head, and there I use 10's. Currently have my other RK strung out on 12's, but honestly, I just can't take the hard stuff anymore.

Now, if I could only find a set of nylons for the LaPatrie that had a brighter treble response. Oops, falling off the wagon yet again ...
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 06-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Trying new strings is also one of my favorite sub-hobbies. I recently found D'Addario NB's and tried a set on my cedar top Breedlove, and it's like a different guitar. I immediately ordered 4 more sets - 2 lights and 2 light top, medium bottom for my spruce tops. Now to get a day off so I can try them - lol.
Breedlove Pursuit Concert CE
Songbird Phoebe hammered dulcimer
and some ukes
Old 06-11-2019, 02:01 PM

D'Addario Nickel Bronze 13's are my current favorite.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 06-11-2019, 02:10 PM

I've gone through this as well...it started when either my ears got tired of the Elixirs I had been using ever since they came out, or something is seriously amiss with their QC (I suppose it could also be counterfeits making their way into the supply chain). Tried a great many different strings and finally settled on the John Pearse PBs; I like the 570C lighter-than-lights (11-52) on my Larrivee L-10 and the 600L on guitars that I tend to use for open tunings.

One thing, though...I recently re-discovered Martin Marquis, which I used to play with back in the 80s...I don't even remember why I quit using them, but I just tried a set on my L-03 and just WOW. Best sounding strings I've ever put on that particular guitar. It will now be a matter of seeing how they last; if they're anything like the Pearse strings, which last better than any other non-coated strings I've tried, I may have to try them on some of my other guitars, although I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with the 570C for the L-10.

And so it goes...I now have a huge inventory of new sets of strings, a whole drawer full of them...I won't run out any time soon if there's a zombie apocolypse.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 06-11-2019, 02:16 PM

My name is Wade, and I use, prefer, recommend and endorse John Pearse strings, not only on my guitars but also on my mandolins, mountain dulcimers and banjos. Which gauges and string alloys go on which instruments depends on how each instrument responds to the different alloys.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-11-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmgjsps View Post
Hi Tom, my name is Rick, and I too am a string-a-holic. I used to mainline Retros, but finally found some redemption in Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze and DR Sunbeams. I like 11's, except on my cheap RK 12-fret slot-head, and there I use 10's. Currently have my other RK strung out on 12's, but honestly, I just can't take the hard stuff anymore.

Now, if I could only find a set of nylons for the LaPatrie that had a brighter treble response. Oops, falling off the wagon yet again ...

Hi Rick - that’s two very different sounding string sets there, almost opposite ends of the tonal spectrum to my ears, with sunbeams being warm and soft edged vs EB AB’s being metallic and sharp edged..

Do you use them on different guitars or do you like them both on the same guitar?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 06-11-2019, 02:32 PM
Charter Member

Hiiiiii, Tommmmmmmm........

I love to experiment with strings, as well... at least until I find a good pairing for that guitar, and then I tend to stick with them for a while (maybe running an occasional different set to mix it up, validate that what I have still works, etc.). I've played D'Add and DR, but right now, I've got GHS on all of my acoustic guitars: Signature Bronze for the ones that need some zing, Vintage Bronze on ones that can afford to be tamed a little, and their standard PB lights on everything in between. Just like Goldilocks for strings!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:47 PM

My name is JC and I’m a stringyholic. Currently partying with Martin Retros, John Pearse PB and DR Rares. All 13s.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:49 PM

Everybody on here is a string-aholic.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 06-11-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
No, actually, many AGF participants seem to leave their strings on forever, and express bafflement at the idea that anyone would want to change their strings more than once a year. If then.

So while the people who’ve posted on this thread so far might be “string-aholics,” it’s not a universal condition on this forum, not by any stretch of the imagination.

whm
Old 06-11-2019, 02:59 PM

I do the same as described herein seeking the best tone from each guitar. I think that makes us tone monsters not string-aholics.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
No, actually, many AGF participants seem to leave their strings on forever, and express bafflement at the idea that anyone would want to change their strings more than once a year. If then.

So while the people who’ve posted on this thread so far might be “string-aholics,” it’s not a universal condition on this forum, not by any stretch of the imagination.

whm
That was my granddad. He always looked at me like I'd grown a second head if he saw me removing guitar strings that weren't completely black and dead. But he grew up in the Depression, and you just didn't waste a dollar you didn't absolutely have to.
Breedlove Pursuit Concert CE
Songbird Phoebe hammered dulcimer
and some ukes
Old 06-11-2019, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCROTTY View Post
I think it's an entrance requirement.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:05 PM

I’m fortunately not ‘afflicted” with the “disease”. I can use any premium brand of strings and my guitar loves them all.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion