The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2019, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Default Buzzing d string setup question

I have an Emerald X7 nylon that I generally enjoy but have working on the setup. I replaced the saddle with a custom bone and the strings are about a week old. I have had this problem with other strings too.

I also replaced the pickup with a schatten so no under saddle. I have taken the nut down and may have gone a touch far in a couple of slots.

When I barre up higher than 6th to seventh fret I get a lot of buzz but mostly just from the 4th string. Action is around 3.5mm in that area so relatively high. Playing barres from below the 5th seems to not have the issue

Visually it seems fine so I'm scratching my head on what to look for next. I may give up and take it for a pro setup.

Any thoughts on other ideas before I take it in?
Old 06-03-2019, 02:16 PM
Guest 728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
  • I replaced the saddle
  • I also replaced the pickup with a schatten so no under saddle.
  • I have taken the nut down

I may give up and take it for a pro setup.

With the new saddle, a removed UST element, and a recently filed nut, there are too many recent changes to diagnose this online. I would suggest taking a fret rocker (a credit card will work) and see if you have any high frets above the sixth, but I think a comprehensive setup would save time and guesswork, and get everything sorted out at once.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion