The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-31-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
K&M Heli (or Heli2) A frame guitar stands.
Reasonably priced, lightweight, foldable, well balanced. I used them at home, and take them to gigs. Never been a problem and never done any damage.
just make sure you get the acoustic one, not the thin one for elecs.

I have the black one (sans cork). I love it!
Old 05-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Hercules for this guy. To me, they top em all.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabby84 View Post
I have the black one (sans cork). I love it!
I've got a couple of the black ones as well, even though I prefer the cork. What initially sold me on the K&M Heli is that my favorite guitar store, Dusty Strings in Seattle, has $5,000+ guitars sitting around in them. I figured that if it's good enough for those guitars...
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM

I have a very simple one that folds up nice and compact: Stagg SG-A106U BK

Does the trick, and since the "vertical" leg folds down flat I keep it under the gig bag that holds my guitar when not in use, so the bag doesn't sit directly on our stone floor.

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-31-2019, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I like the D & A Starfish stand. Very stable. A bit heavier so probably not great if you want to use it for gigs but a really nice stand. They are not the cheapest but they are the most well made and stable in my experience. There are two models. I have the active one. Here's a link:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-guitar-stand

There a some good choices out there at a variety of price points so you should find what will work best for you.

Best,
Jayne
I would like to second the D & A Stands. They are super stable. I have a second one coming this Saturday.
They make One that is $69 and one that is $49. The only difference being the head in the headstock rests. One is a locking rest. I use the less expensive of the two and love the way the Headstock rests in it.
5 legs give me that added extra protection, which is worth it for piece of mind.
Even for Gigs, I do not mind the little bit of extra weight. I can not find the exact weight difference, but I would presume it is no more that 2 lbs verses a hercules. And D & A fold up easily as well.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...e-guitar-stand
Old 05-31-2019, 10:09 AM

Hamiltons. Already made that recommendation once. Very stable, footprint not really larger than the guitar, does not muck up the finish like a cheap stand might. I prefer it to the Hercules, although I have one of their triples as well. (Which might be a good apartment option)

As my dad use to say: "buy cheap, buy twice." A good stand will last for decades. Why buy cheap when the price difference is the cost of a couple of beers and a burger?
Old 05-31-2019, 10:40 AM

I really like this one: https://www.stringswing.com/product/...and-clamp-cc04

Stable, easy to carry, makes use of existing mic stand, and cheap. I also have their mixer/preamp stand and my daughter has their dual violin/mandolin hanger. Great products.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:19 PM

Does anyone have experience with this one?

https://www.k-m.de/en/products/stand...phis-pro-black

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 05-31-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Have tried them all and went with solid ground stands. Children and dogs have little chance of knocking over your guitar with one of these. Their prices are not for the faint of heart though.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_D View Post
My two favorite stands right now:

Hercules

Fender
I agree 100% with Willie_D on this. Both are reasonably heavy, so they stay put, but are heavy enough that when I do a gig I throw them all into a heavy duty duffle bag.

The Fender regularly goes on sale on Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day for $15 US. Don't know how much they would charge to ship to Israel
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 05-31-2019, 01:03 PM

I use Hercules hangers on my apartment wall, where my electrics hang year 'round and my acoustics rotate during the more humid months. I don't have enough hangers for all of them, so they get case time in the summer, as well. I have one of these that I use for whichever guitar is the flavour of the moment:

I also have a Cooper Stand for taking with me when I go play somewhere else and need a stand. It fits in a gig bag or my backpack fairly easily and is light, but quite stable. I recommend the more klutz-proof plastic ones, because two of the wooden ones have cracked along the grain by the pivot screw when I half-stepped on them, while the plastic holds up a bit better to the occasional trip/stomping
Old 05-31-2019, 01:25 PM

Hercules travlite GS301B, very sturdy and compact when folded. Pictured with Simon and Patrick dread, very similar to your Seagull I'm guessing.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I have a few of the cheap basic stands around the house, and they work fine for all shapes and sizes of guitars (even my high end 5k ones). Though for playing out I prefer to haul the bigger Hercules, which just works much better with the lock and release mechanism. Though I have one that just has a little foamy pad to lean the guitar again (GS412B). No complaints about that so far.

For home use go cheap [image removed]

Better for playing out [image removed]
Agreed 100%. As long as you don't run into it or have an earthquake any GC type stand should really be fine. My guitar is always in the case and I only put it on the stand if I'm in the middle of practicing and need to take a break for any reason. The case is the safest place anyway though some will argue it's a hassle to do the 15 seconds to get it out (or put it back). Seeing the case is enough of a reminder that I don't need to see the actual guitar nor place it in danger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Hamiltons. Already made that recommendation once. Very stable, footprint not really larger than the guitar, does not muck up the finish like a cheap stand might. I prefer it to the Hercules, although I have one of their triples as well. (Which might be a good apartment option)

As my dad use to say: "buy cheap, buy twice." A good stand will last for decades. Why buy cheap when the price difference is the cost of a couple of beers and a burger?
I've never had any stand muck up my finish but then again I don't do nitrocellulose so that's probably why. "Buy cheap, buy twice" might be OK for some things but a $25 stand isn't cheap like a $10 one is and you can get the $25 one for $15 on sale most times. I've had $25 stands that have lasted for a decade or more (in fact I've NEVER broken a stand nor had one fall apart on me) and why get one when the difference is the cost of a couple of beers and a burger? Simple, I'd rather have the stand AND the beers and burger. Sometimes that's the real choice for those without money to burn.

Last edited by 619TF; 05-31-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:59 PM

Full names from Amazon:
"Hercules GS432B A/G Tri Guitar Stand"
"AmazonBasics Guitar Folding A-Frame Stand for Acoustic and Electric Guitars"

I have both of these which work very well. The Hercules is good because I like to keep our guitars out so we remember to play them. Its good for my 7yo daughter to have visual reminder. The Hercules is very stable. We keep it in a corner so its out of the way but still close at hand. We put her mini-Fender on the AmazonBasics A-frame stand. What's nice about it is that you can control how wide the "A" open. The mini-fender isn't as wide as a full size and the strap pin on the end was hitting the hard wood floor.

No one around me in Ohio carried the Hercules, so I had to go amazon.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2019, 03:15 PM

Seems like the Hercules hanger is easily the winner in votes here!!!

I guess I will probably get that one! Easier since I don't have to order from abroad!

Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion