The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2019, 12:36 PM

Default A frame guitar stand destroyed my guitar!

I kept it in mint condition until now. It's a seagull S6. I live in Israel and the selection of name brand products is limited. I couldn't find a name brand stand with a neck support, so I got a QuikLok A-frame stand. It left ugly gouges in my guitar. Pieces of plastic from the tip even broke off into my guitar!

What's everyone's opinion about scuffed up guitar? Does it affect the sound or value? It certainly aggravates me and make it look ugly.

https://ibb.co/0n6mVbR
https://ibb.co/ggCHs2k
https://ibb.co/nMJcQBQ
https://ibb.co/z5CFXDP
Old 05-25-2019, 12:47 PM

I don't understand how that happened

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-25-2019, 12:50 PM

Saying that it destroyed your guitar is an over reaction but I can understand your frustration. Those dings will affect you way more than it affects the guitar. No effect on sound and minimal effect of the value.
Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Cedar tops are easily "dinged".. those do look like more than just dings but I guess the problem is the structure of the stand itself. I don't use these anymore (just put them back in the case) but when I did, I used to bang them on the stand's "horns" half the time setting them down
Old 05-25-2019, 12:57 PM

Could something else have caused that?
I can't imagine how soft rubber could make two gouges in the soundboard.
The location of the damage may just coincidentally be near where the stand touches it.

Last edited by Tico; 05-25-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Sound, no...value, yes. Sorry to hear that...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 05-25-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

It looks like the protective foam pulled away from the metal end? It that what dented the guitar?
Old 05-25-2019, 01:53 PM

The plastic tips are made of really hard plastic. Sometimes just picking the guitar up it clangs into the tip and makes a loud sound. I didn't realize it actually did damage to the guitar! I'm gonna get some of the stands that have neck supports and don't have anywhere to bang off
Old 05-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Sorry about your discovery.

I have a similar stand, also without neck support, but in my stand there are no hard rubber parts touching the guitar. I keep my Seagull M6 Gloss (Sitka spruce top) on this stand for more than two years, it is on the stand permanently, all days, I even sold the hard case I used to keep Seagull in. No problem with the guitar.
Old 05-25-2019, 02:56 PM

Ask me again why I never use a guitar stand.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:13 PM

Those dings are minor but when it's on my pristine guitar, it's painful. A luthier or person skilled in refinishing can make them almost completely disappear. I watched a video (maybe stewmac?) and what can be done with cyanoacrylate or super glue, is amazing. It takes skill, practice and the right supplies but it can be done. Not a do it yourself project. Ask me how I know.
Old 05-25-2019, 03:35 PM

Ramble, I’m sorry you had to learn the hard way how easily dented cedar tops are. But there was an element of “operator error” here, as well. The first time you heard that noise as you pulled the guitar out of the stand you should have asked yourself: “Wait - what just caused that sound?” and then figured it out so you would have known how to avoid it from then on.

There’s no point in beating yourself up over this now, and please don’t take my comments as criticism. But with something as fragile as an acoustic guitar you have to be aware of these factors, particularly when you’ve got a guitar with a cedar top.

Anyway, from the photos the guitar doesn’t look destroyed, you’re getting a different stand and from now on you’re likely to be a lot more alert about this sort of hazard. Avoiding future mishaps is mainly about staying mindful.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-25-2019, 03:38 PM

Tube Sound, I don’t believe that this guitar is a good candidate for the procedure you’ve described. The dents are fairly deep and in an awkward spot. I doubt it would work on this instrument.

whm
Old 05-25-2019, 05:26 PM

One of two things look to be going on here either the tips have worked there way out of the end of the stand which I have had happen or they cut the foam WAY to short.

I would think about protecting that spot of raw wood maybe with a drop or two of C.A. glue ( crazy glue ) Locktite has a great CA glue.

I never liked the foam padding on guitar stands so I opted to do this and it has worked great for many years

A hot glue gun and a old towel.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I don't understand how that happened
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6stringedRamble View Post
The plastic tips are made of really hard plastic. Sometimes just picking the guitar up it clangs into the tip and makes a loud sound. I didn't realize it actually did damage to the guitar! I'm gonna get some of the stands that have neck supports and don't have anywhere to bang off
It took some inadvertent force to do that. Perhaps the guitar was removed from the stand by pulling it forward before it was out of the stand, so that the back of the guitar was pressed against the stand which levered the the tips of the arms into the front of the guitar.
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=pr...2&sName=QL-632
I don't have a stand but I guess one should remove a guitar slowly and carefully upward.

Last edited by vintage40s; 05-25-2019 at 07:33 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion