The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaynor View Post
AB is more like NB-meets-PB: Bright and punchy, with very pleasant overtones, but brighter still than either NB or PB. AB is not really that similar sounding to monel, which has its own strong and uniquely intriguing sound. And AB is definitely not like 80/20, since AB has lots of overtones.

AB is a fabulous string for a dark sounding guitar - it's a bit too much "much" for a bright sounding one.

It keeps its tonal goodness about as long as NB or PB, but nowhere near as long as monel.
This is a great recap of EB AB strings. I've used these AB strings on a number of guitars with mostly good success. PB is a little warmer sounding, so that's still my default for most guitars.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Well, I've just installed a set of Ernie Ball Aluminium Bronze Medium Light (12 - 54) strings on my deep bodied OM42, and I am just totally blown away. They sound incredible.

Deep bass, sweet mids and crisp, clear top end - but the sustain, articulation and projection between strings is incredible. Playing fingerstyle, the difference over my previous (and long loved and played) D'addario Phosphor Bronze set is like night and day. Strumming a chord sounds like a heavenly choir has joined in.

Maybe this is early days (okay, it is early days, they've only been on an hour or two) but wow. Just wow.

Perhaps I have just stumbled across that sweet spot when a particular guitar and a particular set of strings come together, but I am beyond happy with the sound I am hearing right now. Longevity and durability I can't comment on at this moment, but thank you Ernie Ball. Thank you.
Wanted to second your thought as I have found this out this year as well. Only been playing consistently now for 2.5 years and this year started to get particular about tone.
I was looking for the best match with my Martin D-16. When I put on the the EB Aluminum Bronze (12-54) on the Martin, I was blown away too.

I loved the tone and projection of this little match made in heaven.
Love your comment about sweet spot - I too wondered if it is a sweet spot in the pairing of Martin guitar and EB string alloy. At any rate, I have stuck with this combo after trying several others. Regular PB strings are fine, but the Al-B are sweet.

BTW I put these two together without seeing your posting, and we have each arrived at the same conclusion independently.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 10-28-2018, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
AB is more like NB-meets-PB: Bright and punchy, with very pleasant overtones, but brighter still than either NB or PB. AB is not really that similar sounding to monel, which has its own strong and uniquely intriguing sound. And AB is definitely not like 80/20, since AB has lots of overtones.

AB is a fabulous string for a dark sounding guitar - it's a bit too much "much" for a bright sounding one.

It keeps its tonal goodness about as long as NB or PB, but nowhere near as long as monel.
Great assessment. I suspected the ABs are a great fit for the guitar type.
I seem to get a little more life from AB but it is a function of the hours played I am finding, since I am playing 2 or 3 guitars now regularly.

2022 Taylor 714ce, 2020 Martin D-28 Modern Deluxe, 2013 Martin D-16GT, 1980 Yamaha FG-335
Old 10-28-2018, 09:54 PM

For me they match well with Martins. They also last almost as long as elixirs for me.
Old 12-13-2018, 09:23 PM

I had to see what all the fuss was about so I bought a couple of packs of Ernie Ball Medium Light Aluminum Bronze today. I put them on my Taylor 714ce and my pre-2007 Taylor 214 which is all solid wood. I agree with what others have said about them. I am not the best at articulating the sound but hey have so much punch and zing to them. They sound so crisp. I know that Taylor's are already bright so it did brighten the sound up even more which is fine with me because it also improved the lows. There is definitely more low end and it seems like there is more articulation or separation between the strings. I especially can't believe what a difference it made in my 214. It's a new guitar!

The only thing I don't like about them is what others have pointed out. i am so used to the coating on Elixirs and these EBs feel kind of rough or something. My fingers don't slide up and down the strings as smoothly. I can live with it because the trade off is the best sounding strings I have heard in my opinion. I'm hooked so far. Will have to wait a few days and see what they are like after they settle down as others have also pointed out.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:45 PM

I picked up a set to try on my Eastman, and finally put them on tonight. I am seriously impressed. They settled in remarkably quick, and held tune almost from the get go. They truly do sound like a mix up of Nickel Bronze and regular phosphor Bronze. They’re smooth, like NB, yet they have this bite and zing to them like PB.

One caveat: this is what I hear on THIS guitar. A few years ago I tried them on my d18, and I disliked them greatly (though the wood combo was similar). But on this Eastman, they are pretty stinking nice.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
I picked up a set to try on my Eastman, and finally put them on tonight. I am seriously impressed. They settled in remarkably quick, and held tune almost from the get go. They truly do sound like a mix up of Nickel Bronze and regular phosphor Bronze. They’re smooth, like NB, yet they have this bite and zing to them like PB.

One caveat: this is what I hear on THIS guitar. A few years ago I tried them on my d18, and I disliked them greatly (though the wood combo was similar). But on this Eastman, they are pretty stinking nice.
I also noticed how well they seemed to settle in and stay in tune well right off the bat. I just wished they didn't feel so grabby on my fingers.

Yeah I could see where a Martin person would not want them on theirs so much since it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Martin for it's warmer tone. These would brighten one up a bit I would guess. My ears just tend to love the crispy bright sounding guitars more. That goes back to the way I have always equalized my car or home stereos all of my life. I tend to pretty much crank the treble all the way up and put the bass just somewhere just above the middle as well as my midrange.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
I also noticed how well they seemed to settle in and stay in tune well right off the bat. I just wished they didn't feel so grabby on my fingers.

Yeah I could see where a Martin person would not want them on theirs so much since it kind of defeats the purpose of having a Martin for it's warmer tone. These would brighten one up a bit I would guess. My ears just tend to love the crispy bright sounding guitars more. That goes back to the way I have always equalized my car or home stereos all of my life. I tend to pretty much crank the treble all the way up and put the bass just somewhere just above the middle as well as my midrange.
Funny how we feel/hear different things, isn’t it? I don’t notice any crabbiness, but I usually play uncoated strings. I also hear a clarity with these, but not an excessive treble or lack of bass. On this OM, which is quite mid-heavy, they sound more balanced than Martin retros did. The bass also seems a bit more pronounced woh these (even though the bass strings were mediums on the Martins). These guitars are funny things, aren’t they?
Old 12-14-2018, 07:48 AM

On my two Taylors I've put them on, they've brought out a bottom-end that Elixirs must be damping and more clarity and volume than they've ever had. I'm two for two on loving them on my guitars and my Koa GS is next. I'm very curious as to what they're gonna bring out of it.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treenewt View Post
Funny how we feel/hear different things, isn’t it? I don’t notice any crabbiness, but I usually play uncoated strings. I also hear a clarity with these, but not an excessive treble or lack of bass. On this OM, which is quite mid-heavy, they sound more balanced than Martin retros did. The bass also seems a bit more pronounced woh these (even though the bass strings were mediums on the Martins). These guitars are funny things, aren’t they?
Yeah it is funny about all the different little nuances we all identify with in every aspect of guitars. I notice more clarity overall and as Tnfiddler said below, I can tell that I am getting more volume out of my two Taylors than ever. As far as the treble, I guess I could be mistaking more treble with more clarity or even just the fact that I went from several months old Elixir PB Nanowebs to shiny brand new strings. I guess for me I notice more low end, more volume, punchier, brighter and more articulation or string separation. Each string just seems to stand out on their own better. I was hoping they would do a lot more for my 714 but there is an improvement.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctvolfan View Post
Yeah it is funny about all the different little nuances we all identify with in every aspect of guitars. I notice more clarity overall and as Tnfiddler said below, I can tell that I am getting more volume out of my two Taylors than ever. As far as the treble, I guess I could be mistaking more treble with more clarity or even just the fact that I went from several months old Elixir PB Nanowebs to shiny brand new strings. I guess for me I notice more low end, more volume, punchier, brighter and more articulation or string separation. Each string just seems to stand out on their own better. I was hoping they would do a lot more for my 714 but there is an improvement.
In the end, I think we can both say #winning!
Old 12-14-2018, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

ctvolfan, just wait a few days, when they begin to mellow out (in a really good way). They're my favorite non-PB string. And I can't play coated strings b/c of the tone, as much as the feel.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on your description.
I've got them on my J45 right now, with several hours of playing time including band practice.I don't think AB's sound like Monel either.
There are overtones for sure. They have a uniqueness to them and that makes them interesting. They are definitely rougher to the touch for me and a little more squeaky than I like. I would also not use them on a bright guitar. They are still pretty bright after some break-in.
I'll leave them on long enough to perceive the beginning of the decline in tone.
After that, probably back to those high priced Titaniums. My J45 loves those and they are the easiest to play, smoothest and quietest strings I have used.
I got a set for my birthday...can't beat that.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-15-2018, 05:10 PM

Tried these today after reading this thread. Put them on my Yamaha LL16R - didn’t care for them and removed them after 2 hours of playing. They were too twangy or jangley.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 12-15-2018, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
.I don't think AB's sound like Monel either.
There are overtones for sure. They have a uniqueness to them and that makes them interesting. They are definitely rougher to the touch for me and a little more squeaky than I like. I would also not use them on a bright guitar. They are still pretty bright after some break-in.
ABs do not sound like monel. Retros are some of my favorite strings for so many reasons discussed here ad nauseam. I wouldn't recommend ABs on an overly dark guitar either, in my experience they just get muddied up. The ABs sound nice but I've yet to find any of the guitars I've had completely at home with them. I have some on deck to try on my Journey OF660 so that could change.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion