The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Good Luthier near Gainesville, FL?

Does anyone know a good luthier near Gainesville, FL? I don't need an ultra-professional per-se, but I would like someone to install my bone saddles and deal with a slight intonation issue I've been having with my Martins.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks ahead of time!

Jason
Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 PM

Simon Fay is near Port Canavaral, siesta key guitars in clearwater, and I am in Hilliard. I dont know of anybody in Gainesville.

Ken Hodges
Old 09-23-2008, 07:44 PM

Don't know of anyone in Gainesville but Doug and Bill at: http://www.guitarfactory.us/ in Orlando have done some nice work for me including a refret of my Collings and a neck reset on my Hummingbird.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 09-23-2008, 08:07 PM

You ahve all the ones Ken mentioned. Simon Fay is in New Smyrna, about 2 1/5 hours from you. There is also another builder/ tech near here in Ponce Inlet. He does exceptional work as well. There is also Ken Miller in Tallahassee.
With both Kens and Simon building they might be pressed to do repair type work. Personal experience I would recommend David Bryson in Ponce Inlet to you.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:46 AM

Doug and Bill in Orlando at the Guitar Factory are the only folks doing mostly repair work that I know and trust...on Saturday's, they actually do simple repairs while you wait! Don't know if a nut replacement would fit or not!

I believe they are an authorized Martin repair facility.

Plus, they're fun to talk to.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodges_Guitars View Post
Simon Fay is near Port Canavaral, siesta key guitars in clearwater, and I am in Hilliard. I dont know of anybody in Gainesville.
Ken, Sieata Key Guitars (David Bland) is in Sarasota, not Clearwater.

FWIW, installing a nut or saddle is usually something I'd entrust to a tech as well as a luthier. Sam Ash and Music Center stores usually have someone on site who does such things.

Dave
Old 09-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Chip at Chip's Music in Jacksonville is very good and extraordinarily honest. 904-641-2003. On Southside Boulevard just south of Beach Boulevard, if you're familiar with Jax. He's WAY overqualified to do the work you mention.

There is also a Martin authorized repair guy in Alachua. I've never had him do work, but the Martin authorization is usually a good indication of quality. 352-256-6420, according to the Martin Website.

Go Gators!
-Bob
Old 09-24-2008, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Whoops, the Alachua guy's name is Michael V. Stapleton.
-Bob
Old 09-24-2008, 04:52 PM

Default thanks for the advice!

Thank you all for your advice...I'll look into the people you have mentioned...I'm trying to stay local b/c I don't have much free time away from work at the moment. The reason I was looking for someone rather skilled was more because of the intonation issue than anything else. I really would like to get rid of it! Even if I have to pay a little extra for quality work, but thanks again for all of the responses!
Old 09-24-2008, 04:55 PM

Jason,
Im not sure how far you are from David Bland, but I highly recomend David. No doubt you will get more than what you pay for!
A good job and a great friend!
Kragenbrink Guitars Building Blog
Old 09-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Default Success!

Hey guys...thank you for all your input. I ended up getting both my martins taken to Guitar Factory in Orlando and had bone saddles put in both. The sound is amazing!!!! The staff was very friendly and the price was right. Thank you all for your advice, and if you are need of repair work I would definitely recommend giving the guys at Guitar Factory a call! (Might want to leave a few weeks time to get a slot in line though...they're very good, but very busy as a result!)

Jason
Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 PM

Default I know this post is old, but ...

I use Tony's Stringed Instruments & Speaker Repair in G'ville. He has been working on my guitars (including a McPherson & Larrivee steel-string and Alvarez Yairi classical) for about seven years now, and I totally trust him. His prices are VERY reasonable as well. For his info, e-mail me [email protected].
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 AM

Tony probably set up 10 guitars for me when I lived in Gainesville. He does a phenomonal job and I highly recommend him.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM

I'm looking for a luthier within driving distance of Gainesville, Florida to repair a crack in the bridge near the pinholes in a Nigel Forster 10 string guitar-bouzouki that I've recently acquired from England. The maker, who now lives in Australia, recommends a superglue fix (fine superglue followed by medium superglue). I really want to get this done right. Any recommendations on qualified repair people/luthiers would be much appreciated, including ones who are several hours' drive away.
Pete Turner
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM

Me too, Dixie County by the Swuannee River, always looking for a good Tech/Luthier close by !!! PM me with the info of you can !!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion