The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-18-2019, 06:57 PM

Default My Taylor 514ce FM Limited versus Eastman E8d

So I am primarily a jazz player
...but love acoustic steel strings as much as I love my D'angelico and Gibson es 175. Anyway, I play mostly fingerstyle and for about 4 to 5 years had a beautiful 2014 D18. Loved that guitar but realized I needed a more responsive fingerstyle guitar. Hence, I traded it plus $$$ on a beautiful Martin 00-28. That guitar is still breaking and is a joy to play with.

Despite owning the Martin 00-28 and a beautiful 514ce FM limited I started missing my former dread. I loved that D18 and maybe I will get another one someday. Anyway, I live in Mass and was at Souh Shore Music and they had a beautiful sounding Eastman E8d, which is copy of a D28 not a D18 and I was smitten. I have owned several Eastman's before and own a T185-MX which is to die for so I was comfortable with the purchase.

Eastman's are NOT Martin's, neither are their archtops Gibsons. I own Martin's and Gibsons and they are special but Eastmans have a unique sound and no it is not about their "value" it always pissed me off when people say "it sounds great especially for the price".

Anyway, I think the Eastman acoustic sound is a little closer to Collings than a Martin (and not to insult Collings owners ... they are NOT Collings). Well below are some vids of how it sounds:

AB'd against my Taylor
https://youtu.be/xKjyXnsYu70

Eastman E8d Ab'd against Martin HD28
https://youtu.be/zHwNY41RWqo
Old 06-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

the eastman sounds good

Last edited by docwatsonfan; 07-05-2019 at 05:48 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion