The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-19-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
After my experience with the V-neck of the Martin CEO-7, I would never have purchased another V without a lot of trying it out for an extended time.

Then, one day I was in a local guitar store and they had just gotten in a 000-28vs. It not only was a Modified V, but it's also a 1 13/16" neck. Although I always loved the look of these I passed it by and tried another couple of guitars. Then, on a lark, I tried the VS and walked out with it an hour or so later.

Love it so much -- the neck and tone -- I'm one more guitar away from being a one guitar man, with a few other instruments like Mandola and Bouzouki.
Thats pretty cool Hoyt! I've owned a CEO7 and a Collings with a 1 13/16" neck but parted with them eventually because I didn't get on with the necks. Recently I played a friend's OOO28vs. I was shocked how much I liked its relatively wide, V-shaped neck! Really awesome guitar!
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 AM

I have the OM-18V, OM-28V and the 00-18V........love the V neck
Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 AM

I’ll be the outlier here: I find Martin’s modified V neck to be fairly uncomfortable to play. The modern neck profile is much more to my liking, so that’s what I’ve got on two of my Martin guitars, including the Custom Shop 12 fret 00-21 I had built to my specifications last year.

I’m glad Martin offers a V-shaped neck, but it’s just not for me.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-20-2019, 05:32 AM
Charter Member

I'm with you, Jim- I love the Mod V neck.

I was talking with the sales guy at a guitar shop recently about Martin necks and how they are mostly the slender MLO shape these days. He theorized that Martin copied that shape from the Taylor neck in order to steal some sales from Taylor. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but I thought it was quite possible.

Speaking of Taylor, they build a gorgeous guitar, but their neck just does not work for me, too slender. Too bad for me.

I just traded my beloved 00-18V (with a Mod V neck) for a Goodall Standard, sight unseen. I was afraid that I wouldn't like the Goodall neck, but it turned out to be quite chunky, with a nut that measures a bit over 1 3/4". It took a few sessions, but I now really, really like it. I sat down with it last night and for the first time did not notice how big it is- my hand just took to it like they've been together forever.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

If I was ever to own a Goodall it would be the Standard. Wonderful guitar...enjoy it Ken!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Jim. It went from Seattle to the High Rockies, and took a few days to acclimate. But last night it all came together and sounded like a million bucks. I'm very happy with it.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
My first experience with the V neck was my dad's 2002 D18V which I did not care for. Seems really sharp and kind of hard to play. Then I tried a CEO7 which seems much softer with its V and it felt so good in my hand I had to have one.
I've noticed a big difference in the feel of the Mod V between a 1-11/16" nut vs. the 1-3/4". I had an HD-28V that I didn't care for, but the 000-28ec is fine.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillStephen View Post
I've noticed a big difference in the feel of the Mod V between a 1-11/16" nut vs. the 1-3/4". I had an HD-28V that I didn't care for, but the 000-28ec is fine.
I agree...I had a CS Adirondack HD-28V with 1 3/4" nut that I should have kept?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 06-20-2019, 07:40 AM

I prefer the Mod V as well. The new MLO profile and don't forget the newer tapered finger board, which tightens the string spacing at the bridge are not my cup of tea. You can see in my Sig. the Martins I own. All Mod V with wider string spacing. All very comfortable to play for extended periods of time. I have owned a couple of the newer MLO profiled neck guitars hoping to adjust to them, but, ended up selling those. YMMV, JMHO, etc, etc..
Breedlove D20 SM
Recording King RP2-626
Ibanez AV4CE
Gretsch Tenor Uke
Martin C1K Uke
Old 06-20-2019, 09:15 AM

I'm on the fence about them. I really like the "bark" that the HD-28V has but I don't feel like it would be a good daily playing guitar. My personal favorite neck profile is Larrivee's which has sort of the opposite feel.

10 years ago when I set out of my first foray into guitar building I was donated a short scale Martin neck with a modified V profile and dovetail that somehow snuck its way out of the factory. While I like the satisfaction of carving my own necks and the ease of working with MT neck joints I'm tempted to finally use it in a build along with some 1/4 X bracing that I bought at Martin a couple of years ago:

Old 06-20-2019, 09:29 AM

Another fan of Martin mod-V. Also like the slightly mellower mod-V on my 1-3/4" Collings dread. The latter is 2-1/4 @ the bridge vs 2-5/16 on the OM-28V. The slightly narrower taper is noticeable and faster for up the neck playing, swing chording etc. The wider OM is great for fingerstyle, but flatpicks well also.
Old 08-27-2021, 06:13 AM

Default Mod V neck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
After my experience with the V-neck of the Martin CEO-7, I would never have purchased another V without a lot of trying it out for an extended time.

Then, one day I was in a local guitar store and they had just gotten in a 000-28vs. It not only was a Modified V, but it's also a 1 13/16" neck. Although I always loved the look of these I passed it by and tried another couple of guitars. Then, on a lark, I tried the VS and walked out with it an hour or so later.

Love it so much -- the neck and tone -- I'm one more guitar away from being a one guitar man, with a few other instruments like Mandola and Bouzouki.
Hi Hoyt. What do you mean about the CEO-7 ? I’ve just got one delivered and I love the sound but not keen on the neck profile. It might have to go back. Guess it’s early days yet though
Old 08-27-2021, 06:44 AM

I used to think I didn't like the mod-V as years ago when I first tried one it gave me hand pain almost immediately. Then, about a year ago, I lucked upon a great deal on a D-18V and went for it. This time I am finding I love the mod-V, so much so that I have since picked up an HD-28V Adi with the same neck profile and still love it. In fact, if I could have this neck profile on all my guitars I would.
Old 08-27-2021, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Mod V's are in the minority for sure. Martin sells a fair number of 000-28EC's (they have mod V's) and it's been out for maybe 20 years(?). That model has yielded three ltd. ed. versions as well w-mod V's(Black-Belleza Nera, White-Belleza Bianca and the OM-Clapton Navy Blues). All three sold well, though there were ltd numbers of course. I have the Belleza Nera and a CS 000 12 fret all mahogany w-mod V. I have no issues with playing that profile and like the change in feel from time to time. However, based on AGF posts and what luthiers are making, I agree a majority of players prefer other profiles.

Last edited by gmel555; 08-27-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2021, 02:56 PM

I also like the mod V on the 00-28vs I had. It had a real good feel to it. I would imagine for the majority of people who want a modern playing acoustic the mod v just didnt fit the bill.

Like many on here I was sad to see the vintage series go. But I guess in terms of profit the numbers just didnt add up for martin.

1934 Gibson Kalamazoo KG11

www.reverbnation.com/jamesascott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion