The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
It took some inadvertent force to do that. Perhaps the guitar was removed from the stand by pulling it forward before it was out of the stand, so that the back of the guitar was pressed against the stand which levered the the tips of the arms into the front of the guitar.
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=pr...2&sName=QL-632
I don't have a stand but I guess one should remove a guitar slowly and carefully upward.

Truthfully sometimes when I pick it up normally out of the stand it just make a loud bang. I don't even see it happen, but I know it's hitting that hard plastic tip. What a terrible design. For now I super glued the foam to the tip, and will get a couple of new stands as soon as I can. I can't believe a name brand stand like that would be so awful!
Old 05-26-2019, 03:50 AM

I really thought everyone would be like quit your whining baby, it's just a few scratches. But everyone on here has been really cool about it. I guess guitar enthusiasts all feel a lot of affection towards their guitars and can relate when they get needlessly damaged, in this case by a reckless name brand stand manufacturer.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:11 AM

Actually I just got a new Alvarez ad 70. Truthfully they are both great guitars, but being that I like folk, old time, and old country I think the AD70 really has the sound I'm looking for. But I have 2 two year old twin tyrants, and I practice a lot less, because I never take the guitars out when they are around. They've done everything to my epiphone pro-1 classical. They've dragged it on the floor, they've stood on it, they've played tug a war with it. Weirdly even though it's a cedar top, there's not one gouge on it, only very superficial scratches in the lacquer. Maybe it's time to turn the 6s into a beater.

I know Willy Nelson plays only his 50 year old guitar that is falling apart and has a huge hole in the sound board. At what point does getting dinged up, scratched up, and gouged up affect the desirability of the guitar? I saw a used Guild D25 going for about $500 here in Tel Aviv. I was tempted, but it has two big gouges on the sound board from the pics. I don't know if it has any other issues, but assuming it is just the gouges on the sound board, could it be a good deal? I mean a good deal, rather than saving for about 2 years for a new D40.

https://www.yad2.co.il/products/all?...=image-gallery
Old 05-26-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Feel for you on the ding.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy something (even roached), if it had killer tone. If it played well, I would consider that gravy. Not sure about price in Tel Aviv. I recently sold a pretty impressive, minty/played '78 Guild D-35 with hsc for $500 tho. The market here, not wanting to meet a lot of shredders, and an avatar who needed dental surgery prompted what I thought was a blowout price. Still took awhile for it to sell. Guild's imo don't often fly off the shelves like some do. (Things like a D-28, or a GS Mini, at a blowout price, seem to take flight in short order.)

I'm partial to cedar, but found they do ding much easier, and pretty hard to keep mint. If the D-25 was a great guitar, with a couple nasty gouges, I would watch & put in an offer that I was happy with, once it had been available for a bit.

If I got it for a great price, I would enjoy the crap out of it, and call it "Scar".

I'm a Larrivée disciple, so my guitars stay out.

Not like cases aren't capable of doing their own brand of damage.

An eleven year-old, a CFM 640 steal me first blue case, and a mint 1988 D-28p filled me in.

Feel a little better?

All the best.

Oh! And congrat's on the AD70. Sweet. I'm a big Yairi fan.

Last edited by Blind Dog; 05-26-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: ngd
Old 05-26-2019, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Ask me again why I never use a guitar stand.
why do you never use a guitar stand?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
I wouldn't hesitate to buy something (even roached), if it had killer tone. If it played well, I would consider that gravy. Not sure about price in Tel Aviv. I recently sold a pretty impressive, minty/played '78 Guild D-35 with hsc for $500 tho. The market here, not wanting to meet a lot of shredders, and an avatar who needed dental surgery prompted what I thought was a blowout price. Still took awhile for it to sell. Guild's imo don't often fly off the shelves like some do. (Things like a D-28, or a GS Mini, at a blowout price, seem to take flight in short order.)

I'm partial to cedar, but found they do ding much easier, and pretty hard to keep mint. If the D-25 was a great guitar, with a couple nasty gouges, I would watch & put in an offer that I was happy with, once it had been available for a bit.

If I got it for a great price, I would enjoy the crap out of it, and call it "Scar".

I'm a Larrivée disciple, so my guitars stay out.

Not like cases aren't capable of doing their own brand of damage.

An eleven year-old, a CFM 640 steal me first blue case, and a mint 1988 D-28p filled me in.

Feel a little better?

All the best.

Oh! And congrat's on the AD70. Sweet. I'm a big Yairi fan.
Actually that does make me feel a better. Maybe I need to see about meeting up with some open jam sessions. Probably is im not that good and not much of an old time scene in Tel Aviv, though there is a bit.

I'm not actually in the market for another guitar as I just got an AD 70 and don't expect to buy another guitar for sometime, cept maybe an alvarez rd26 or other cheap lam to let my kids beat on. I just really want a guild. Oh well.

What is a steal me first case? How did it damage your guitar? You still enjoy playing it? I would just get aggravated every time I saw it.

What is a larrivee disciple?
Old 05-27-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
It took some inadvertent force to do that. Perhaps the guitar was removed from the stand by pulling it forward before it was out of the stand, so that the back of the guitar was pressed against the stand which levered the the tips of the arms into the front of the guitar.
http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=pr...2&sName=QL-632
I don't have a stand but I guess one should remove a guitar slowly and carefully upward.

I really baby the guitar. I only ever picked it up gently not in hast or carelessly. The plastic tip is really hard and actually has a relatively sharp edge when not covered by the foam. It bangs really loud when picking the guitar up normally. It's just a horrible design. I can't believe this is a name brand stand supplier
Old 05-27-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgepin View Post
One of two things look to be going on here either the tips have worked there way out of the end of the stand which I have had happen or they cut the foam WAY to short.

I would think about protecting that spot of raw wood maybe with a drop or two of C.A. glue ( crazy glue ) Locktite has a great CA glue.

I never liked the foam padding on guitar stands so I opted to do this and it has worked great for many years

A hot glue gun and a old towel.
Why did you think the foam insufficient? I have a stand like that for my banjo, not problems with it whatsoever. Though I'm thinking of trying the towel hot glue gun trick..though I would probably just get glue all in the wrong spots and tangle up the towel. It looks really professional

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion