The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2020, 10:45 PM

Talking Here's an idea

If this group already has a few guitarists.. why not make a single string washtub bass.... A much shorter learning curve.
Old 10-16-2020, 01:56 AM

Actually- we did discuss how spoons should have improved “Wandering boy” yesterday!

Lots of helpful info but let me summarize where I am now

I am sticking to rhythm guitar and my Yamaha LL16 works great

I am being encouraged to play lead - have worked on Bank of Ohio and trying to get it up to speed. Will try next time

Singing is something I am slowly adding- lots of good singers in the band so I don’t feel really comfortable but I am trying
Old 10-16-2020, 04:24 AM

So, I just started guitar (about 10 weeks in) and love watching this guitar repair-luthier Jerry Rosa on YouTube. He builds beautiful mandolins (Rosa String Works). I’ve been intrigued because he says they are easy to learn and play. The problem is, I don’t love the sound. Well, fell into the rabbit hole and discovered the Octave Mandolin. Holy cow!!! I am sooooo tempted to buy one. That would be a cool instrument for a bluegrass band, especially if they don’t already have a player. Looks like Eastman has a very nice entry level one, and you could buy Jerry’s online course for a quick way to learn.
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 10-16-2020, 04:49 AM
Charter Member

Back in '75 shortly after Id moved to a town for a new job and knew no-one.
I discovered a bluegrass jam in a local pub.

I thrashed away on my Martin playing G,C and D all night and got recruited into two working bands.

However when I met up with the first, they asked me to double on mandolin, and the other suggested I play Dobro.

I managed to find a dobro in the west End (London - Tin Pan Alley) and my girlfriend at the time got a luthier friend of mine to order a mandolin,. an Ibanez 524 top of the range F5 style.

I knew nothing about either, and there wasn't much online in 1975, so I just listened to the few records I could find and made it up.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:35 PM

Default Getting started w Bluegrass- which instrument?

Again - many interesting comments and good advice.

Wanted to give some more updates since I just spent 2,5 days on a bluegrass workshop. Great fun and I learnt a lot even though I only have done 4 years of guitar playing.

We were around 6-7 banjo players , 6 violin players, 1 dobro bass and 4-5 on guitar. The instructors switched between violin, guitar, mandolin, banjo and upright bass.

A lot of really accomplished singers and reinforced the message by some people here that the songs need to be sung - helps with the phrasing as well when playing.

I had a lot of fun and felt really welcome- most of the other students were super experienced but not everyone. I felt really motivated to work harder on rhythm guitar and spice up chords and chord changes. Will also try to nail down some solos and try to do more lead playing. Will not try to learn banjo - is “banjo tinnitus” a medical condition? Will try do more singing even though I still can’t sing very well.

My favorite song was “Fare thee well”. We also played “Prayers bells of heaven “, “Kentucky waltz”, “I know what it means to be lonesome “, “Crying my heart out over you”. Each song had its own character and created a nice mix.

Again - super-skilled instructors that made a great weekend for everyone who participated!
Old 10-26-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryE View Post
My favorite song was “Fare thee well”. We also played “Prayers bells of heaven “, “Kentucky waltz”, “I know what it means to be lonesome “, “Crying my heart out over you”. Each song had its own character and created a nice mix.
Well, if you enjoy those songs and still want to play rhythm guitar, you might think about old-time rather than bluegrass. No pressure there for the guitar to take a lead.

One other thing that a piano guy might want to think about is accordion. Especially if the band wants to play for dancing, such as a square dance.
Old 10-26-2020, 04:56 PM

Actually- I am settled on guitar for now although if I stumble upon a mandolin some day I may buy it.

Piano is something I will always play but my repertoire is a mix of classical, jazz and popular music.

Accordion.... that will never ever happen.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion