The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Thanks much. Luckily I'm WAY beyond the stage in my life where feedback is much of an issue. I'm really shooting for unique tone rather than high volume. The few times I've pushed the volume level to high levels it hasn't hinted at feedback, which may be the result of the high top stiffness, even though there's no bracing present on the underside of the top.

I've been building for something like 35 years and I still find it prudent to test "in the white" to see if there's anything that needs tweaking before committing to final finishing, especially with a design that I don't have prior experience with.

I previously had two thinline Teles that started out as standard MIM Fenders. I built new bodies for them using methods more closely associated with acoustic guitar construction with figured woods and they were both exceptional guitars. I gave both of them away when I gave up playing out using an electric guitar.

I really didn't have a strong desire to have another electric, but a friend who plays bass walked up to me and handed me the S-D '59 bucker that he purchased new many years ago to put in his bass before realizing it wouldn't work.

So the whole project started with a free pickup.
I'm excited to see the finished project! The '59 is a great pickup. I have a couple and it can go from clean to overdrive to gain while maintaining great tone.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Given the thickness of the sides, I’d call it a fully chambered electric. Though with the f holes there’s obviously some acoustic resonance. Regardless of the label, it looks like it’s already a great build, and I’d love to hear and see it once finished!

Electric: 1997 Epiphone Dot (heavily modified), Fender Blues Jr. lll (BillM mods/Cannabis Rex speaker).
Old 03-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up Nice!

Whatever you want to call it, I think it would be a disservice to the beautiful grain on that top to do anything other than clear coat it. As you already noted, the clear will darken the wood anyway and it is a great looking piece of wood already.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 03-08-2019, 07:10 PM

Appreciate the comments!

It will definitely get a Youtube video to demo it as well as I can.

I'm also inclined to leave the Douglas Fir natural and give it a protective finish. It does have a bit darker natural coloring than something like Sitka that's ss white to start off with.

I'll have to test out a couple of possibilities for the finish regimen on some scrap.

Although a natural to darker burst would look cool...
Old 03-08-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Whatever you want to call it, I think it would be a disservice to the beautiful grain on that top to do anything other than clear coat it. As you already noted, the clear will darken the wood anyway and it is a great looking piece of wood already.
Agree. Looks great.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Yep: "hollow-body electric" sounds about right.

It looks good in the natural colors. It reminds me of something that I've seen before. This one maybe:

Photo from https://kitarablogi.com/tag/anders-liljestrom/
The above is a Parker copy. A real Parker will set you back at least $30K and that's the 2008 price, However Ken Parker will fly to your location, anywhere in the world, and set the guitar up for your playing style.

For current prices contact Ken Parker...but if you have to ask, then you probably can't afford it.

https://kenparkerarchtops.com/
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 03-09-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
The above is a Parker copy. ...
Only if you feel that every thin and hollow single cut guitar with a minimal six-on-a-side headstock design is a copy.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 03-09-2019, 08:25 AM

I'm up to a grand total of $125 so far...

Everyone has their personal preferences for design, I've always considered the Parker head stock hideous. That's just my opinion, though.

(Don't flame me, man!)
Old 03-09-2019, 12:22 PM

Nice guitar! Very interested to see the finished product, and to hear how it sounds.

I actually like some of the unique designs on Parker's archtop guitars including the unusual peg head, the neck attachment and the trapeze tailpiece. Very different and innovative if not an improvement on the overall tone and functionality of the guitar.

I also like Anders Liljestrom's "interpretation" of the Parker peg head. Looks elegant but meatier.

But, everyone has their personal design preferences, as you mentioned.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
Nice guitar! Very interested to see the finished product, and to hear how it sounds.

I actually like some of the unique designs on Parker's archtop guitars including the unusual peg head, the neck attachment and the trapeze tailpiece. Very different and innovative if not an improvement on the overall tone and functionality of the guitar.

I also like Anders Liljestrom's "interpretation" of the Parker peg head. Looks elegant but meatier.

But, everyone has their personal design preferences, as you mentioned.
Thanks, I will get to it when the weather breaks and I can sand outside where I won't dust up the shop. Until then I have it hanging behind the door to the basement where I keep whatever I'm currently playing the most.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars