The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Default Emerald Pinless String Change Video

Hi Guys,

Quick tabletop iphone selfie video of my technique for changing my X30 strings with the pinless bridge. And a shout-out to the new strings, good lord the guitar sounds so good! Elixir polyweb 13/56.

Last edited by byudzai; 12-19-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Great video - thanks for the post. Your method is a variation on what I normally do which is to apply tension to the paddle end only which is where I ran into problems with the ball popping out. With your method you keep the tension all the way. I'll try some variation on this.

I'm glad you showed the closeup at the end as it shows what I saw with mine when I finished in that the balls can be seen. I sent a photo to Kevin who said it looked fine and I'm now almost a week into playing it including a gig with no issues so I'm going to assume it's not going to pop out.

I did manage to get a photo of the inside where you can see how the balls sit. There doesn't appear to be an sort of extra reinforcement material under there so I'm assuming the carbon fiber will hold forever. I did notice that the B string seems to seat deeper than the rest which makes sense as that was the string that I had a bear of a time getting the ball end out. It was stuck in there.

It would seem that maybe the drilling of the hole opened up a little too much in the slot area. I'm going to post the photo here and then send that along to Emerald as well so they have the issue on file in case that area is weakened and becomes problematic down the line.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Note how deep the ball sits on the B (blue arrow) compared to the others...

Old 12-19-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I'm glad you showed the closeup at the end as it shows what I saw with mine when I finished in that the balls can be seen.
Noooooooooooooooooooo cover up dem balls that's indecent exposure!
Old 12-19-2018, 06:52 PM

Your balls are peeking out under the carbon. I think that's normal though.
Old 12-19-2018, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

At least they aren't Schweddy.

(SNL reference)

-------------

I'm impressed with changing strings with the guitar on your lap. I use the kitchen island counter with a padded blanket covering the counter - it's a good standing working height.

It's been a few years since I tried Polyweb (vs Nanoweb). May have to put a set on one of the guitars as a test again.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 12-19-2018 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2024, 09:49 PM

Default Capo to hold new string

So here's a guitar maintenance tip for changing strings.
If your guitar has a bridge which holds the ball end of the new string in a slot beneath the soundboard (rather than with pegs for example), like Emerald guitars utilize, and you are frustrated by the string end popping back out while you are working on the other end at the tuners, utilize a CAPO to hold tension on the new string in the bridge slot, freeing up both hands to thread the tuner end of the new string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber