The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-26-2021, 12:11 AM

Default Headstock repair

So, I bought a cheap guitar with the headstock broken off to practice some repairs on. My question is this, the break left the end of the truss rod exposed. Maybe 1/2 inch or so can be seen. Do I need to worry about getting glue on the truss rod? Does the headstock end of the truss rod even turn?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-26-2021, 03:50 AM

A good practice is to always mask off or protect areas where glue is not wanted regardless of whether it affects them or not

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-27-2021, 03:45 PM

Some two-way rods have a rod that turns. In that case, it should not be glued. But if it is a single action rod (i. e. aluminum channel) that adjusts at the soundhole, there is no problem gluing to the truss rod. In fact, it may help reinforce the repair.
If this is not a simple reglue of the peghead, I recommend the backstrap repair. I am not a fan of splines, dowels, or metal fasteners.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
headstock, repair, truss rod