The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-06-2020, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
As mentioned, Waveform 11 is free and no such storage limitations, or any other for my needs(solo guitar) - I must be missing something !
Well first off "Cloud" storage is not "limited" per se. it's just a different storage method as opposed to local storage on your own computer or external drive.

Second I was talking about full featured DAWs not limited featured set "Free" versions .
So what is missing is the full feature set (whether or not you personally might use those features is a different situation/discussion)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 08-06-2020, 06:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
... And given I use Pro Tools as the DAW It uses RX "Connect" as opposed to selecting it as the primary outboard editor as described in the Reaper link and I believe is also the case for Logic Pro.
RX Connect is shown in the [iZotope] plugins drop-down but if you select it in Logic Pro X, you get a plugin-like window, but it recommends using RX as a standalone. (I don't see any way you can actually use it otherwise, since all the controls are disabled!)

It was another little disappointment I've had with iZotope on OS X and/or Logic Pro X. I love their tools, but decided I won't upgrade anymore (unless I must) since they seem to have focused on other platforms.

Old 08-06-2020, 11:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well first off "Cloud" storage is not "limited" per se. it's just a different storage method as opposed to local storage on your own computer or external drive.

Second I was talking about full featured DAWs not limited featured set "Free" versions .
So what is missing is the full feature set (whether or not you personally might use those features is a different situation/discussion)
My comment was made also knowing what the OP uses his DAW for, not just myself. For some of us at least, the need to rely on cloud storage is undesirable and dependent on good upload/download capability that some of use still don’t have.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube

Last edited by RodB; 08-07-2020 at 12:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I never used the cloud storage features. I'd rather store my stuff on my stuff.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
RX Connect is shown in the [iZotope] plugins drop-down but if you select it in Logic Pro X, you get a plugin-like window, but it recommends using RX as a standalone. (I don't see any way you can actually use it otherwise, since all the controls are disabled!)

It was another little disappointment I've had with iZotope on OS X and/or Logic Pro X. I love their tools, but decided I won't upgrade anymore (unless I must) since they seem to have focused on other platforms.
I am not sure I understand exactly what you are saying
Communication on a thread is often difficult, and I do not use Logic so I am not sure of particular similarities and or differences. Also I am still using RX 4 (so there very well could be other changes in the newer versions) I was just stating what is on the iZotope web site, where iZotope makes the distinction of having to select iZotope as the "External sample editor" in Logic, where in PT you do not have to do that .

But let's back up a bit. In Pro tools there are two distinct types of plugin categories. The real time non destructive ones that show up under the "Inserts" button on the track channel strip in the mixer window, as a dropdown ( which play the processing but do not overwrite original file) . And then the destructive ones that are in the "Audio Suite" category in the header bar as a dropdown. Which are destructive and an (overwrite the file) But can be auditioned before rendering and can be un done if rendered .

iZotope shows up under both categories BUT the Spectral Repair module and RX Connect are only accessible thru the Audio Suite in PT

To use the Spectral repair
In PT and RX 4 I have to set up an Aux track and choose "RX Monitor" from the Inserts tab on the Aux track the "Monitor" (black arrow )plugin allows me to hear/monitor in real time the audio selection I am working on in the Stand Alone spectral repair window while the PT session I am working on is still open .

Then I have select the the section of audio I want to repair in PT then open Audio Suite and select RX Connect then I am all set I do the repair and select render In RX then sent to PT

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 08-07-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 01:40 PM

Aren't all DAWs "non-destructive"...at least until you do some sort of intentional "render in place"?
Old 08-07-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
Aren't all DAWs "non-destructive"...at least until you do some sort of intentional "render in place"?
Here's a good Wiki article that covers the difference between destructive and real time audio editing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_...20immediately.
Old 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
No, because some basically "render in place" every time you modify a track.

Audacity is an example of a destructive editor. To add an effect to a track, it calculates the new waveform and replaces the old waveform with the new effected waveform. You can Undo, but you can't just turn the effect off. It really becomes a problem if you then edit the track further. Unless you undo all your subsequent changes, you can't go back and undo that first effect. I moved from Audacity to Reaper years ago and wondered why I hadn't gone to a "real" (non-destructive) DAW sooner.
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
What that seems to describe is destructive editing.

I think using "editor" is a little confusing, because that often implies just that, i.e., editing (altering) an audio file. This is different from inserts/plugins that are non-destructive, at least in my mind (Logic Pro user POV).

I use the standalone RX for point fixes, like string squeaks, maybe occasional, noticeable sibilance or plosives, and then use that edited audio file in the project, though I save an RX project (at least until done with the mix), so I can undo those changes if needed and backtrack. (And sometimes, of course, I'll only open RX for the final mix.) The plugins are nice, but I know at least one or two that do not work if I automate turning them on/off, as I usually don't want something looking for plosives and "fixing" everything on an entire track that looks like one to RX, since it's going to guess wrong sometimes. Mouth-clicks on a pure vocal track, yeah, probably Ok, but some things I single point fixes, especially spectral-repair, which generally requires unique settings for specific, small regions.
I do the same. Rx does a really nice job of cleaning up the little squeaks and stuff.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD