The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-12-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

Default MIM Strats…best years?

What are…generally considered the “golden era” of the Fender MIM Stratocasters?

Last edited by TDavis; 05-12-2022 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:03 AM

The one I currently own is a bit older than a decade-old reverse model without the official "Jimi Hendrix model" branding. I like it quite a bit. I've owned two other ones, one newer and one older. I didn't particularly care for the older one (maybe circa 2001 or so? I don't exactly recall). It had the traditional three single coil array and all, but the pickups weren't "Strat-y" enough somehow. The newer one was a dual humbucker model* that I sometimes miss, but I go through electrics for the adventure of it.

My feeling is that rather than worrying about "good years" that you select more on any special features you want and play them to see how you like the necks and so on.

*Obviously not traditional Strat sounding either, but the thing it did pleased me.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 05-12-2022, 11:07 AM

I'm thinking the past couple of years they've been great. Not sure if it's still the case but in the past a lot of MIM strats had ceramic pickups.
Old 05-12-2022, 11:56 AM

The standard series has been pretty consistent for a long while...

The real gems in the MIM lineup are the Classic series from about 20 years ago, 50's classic, 60's classic...those guitars were outstanding and an absolute steal on the price...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-12-2022, 12:10 PM

From my experience, they're all great guitars.
Old 05-12-2022, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

I have had older ones and newer ones. In general they are all nice, but I think the ones being produced today are as good as any.
Old 05-12-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post

The real gems in the MIM lineup are the Classic series from about 20 years ago, 50's classic, 60's classic...those guitars were outstanding and an absolute steal on the price...
I bought a Classic 50s Series less than 2 years ago in a small town--it still had the hang tags on it, and the "classic" pricing as well. Its absolutely beautiful, and the one guitar I don't play regularly--its too pretty to wear out just for a few minutes of playing (I have 3 other Strats for that).

It looks like this:

Old 05-13-2022, 08:18 AM

I have an MIM Lone Star Strat from about 10 - 12 years ago. It's just a very nice guitar and has been my main band guitar (along with a Tele) for quite a few years. The Lone Star has an SSH pickup configuration, which makes it very versatile. And the pickups are really nice - all USA made. The two single coils are Fender Texas Specials, the Stevie Ray Vaughn pups; and the humbucker is a Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates, made famous by Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. (Stevie Ray + Billy G are Texas boys, thus the Lone Star name) If you can find one, I'd recommend checking it out. Love mine.
Old 05-13-2022, 09:32 AM

I'm certainly not an expert is "classic" or "best" years for MIM Strats, but I have a 2004 50th Anniversary in Aztec Gold that probably gets more playing time than any other electric I own. The middle pickup was replaced with a Fender Custom Shop Texas Special, but other than that, it's all original.

It was originally owned by Dave Erkin, 1964-65 lead guitarist with Lewis Elliott, leader and bassist, in the one-hit wonder band "J Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers." This came from his estate.

Old 05-13-2022, 11:11 AM

Mine is a 2012. It had ceramic pickups which were promptly replaced with custom wound David Allen pickups, new pots and some other upgraded electronics.
I paid $385 for it new. It’s a fantastic guitar.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster

Last edited by rokdog49; 05-13-2022 at 02:08 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:56 PM

The Fender MIM Strats have been a consistent value.

If you're ok with "vintage" frets and ceramic pickups, those were common until circa 2008. In 2008 the frets became "medium jumbo", and the block became thicker--the serial number moved to the back of the headstock as well.

The pickups became Alnico V once the "Player" series took hold. They're a little "hotter" than the Alnico Vs that populate the American series. How that translates to the sound is up to the individual buyer.

They're great guitars overall. I have 3 Fender MIMs. Two of them are "Standard" models that originally came with ceramic pickups but have been upgraded to Alnico V (one with Fender MIA standard pickups, the other with Seymour Duncan SSL-1s). The 3rd is a Fender Classic Player 50s model that is the equivalent of the Vintera model--I posted a picture of it earlier in this thread. I'm obviously a fan.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:09 AM

The Fender MIM stuff has done nothing but get better over time. The guitars they are making now are great right out of the box: no need to upgrade this or that like back in the day. Right now you can get a gig-able, lifetime guitar for well under $1000 from Fender Mexico.
Old 05-15-2022, 06:18 AM

This is a 2014 limited run in Rangoon Red .
I found it better than a Custom Shop one which underwhelmed me and ultimately I sold it.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnicol View Post
This is a 2014 limited run in Rangoon Red .
I found it better than a Custom Shop one which underwhelmed me and ultimately I sold it.
That’s a beauty.
Love the color and really love me some maple necks on Strats.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-20-2022, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a used 2004 MIM Strat at GC about a month ago. It's the Blue Agave color with rosewood fretboard. It sounds and plays great. The neck feels fantastic. Overall, it's an excellent guitar.
Gibson J-45 Standard
Breedlove Pursuit Concerto CE
Takamine F400S 12-string
Yamaha FG800
Citation CIT8000 "The Survivor"
Electrics:
Fender Standard Stratocaster (2004)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars