The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-26-2022, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

My son ordered a Fender Strat made to order from their website. It’s translucent red, hard tail, with a maple neck with rosewood finger board. Jumbo frets. Locking tuners. He loved my Squier Classic Vibe Strat more… and I swapped with him (money going his way).

I really can get any tone out of this thing, and I’m proud to be its caretaker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5D9D2BA4-9607-4A68-B57B-4158ACACE565.jpg (23.5 KB, 176 views)
Old 04-26-2022, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

So cool you can do guitar stuff with your son, Sal.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 04-26-2022, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

I'm a Les Paul guy.

Swore off looking at new ones after 2006.

Bought a NEW one last week. 2022 Les Paul 60's Standard.

Now have to put some decent tuners, and a bone nut.
Old 04-26-2022, 06:26 PM

I like the way the Strat looks, but I prefer the way the Tele feels. The LP (I've owned three) is just too darned heavy.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:33 PM

My Comins GCS1-ES in violin burst.

I also like the classic looks of those 335s, but I prefer the single cutaway on my Comins.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:35 PM

I only have the one: Fender Mexican tele, 90s, toploader bridge.

Paired it with a 65 PRRI. All I need, for sure.

That guitar sat in the gig bag in a closet for about twenty five years. Decided to start up again, pulled it out, put new strings on it, good to go.

Have to love a Tele.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:00 AM

Taking the hypothetical house burning down as real:

I'd likely be overthinking it and end up under the collapsing building.

Taking it as objective logistical question:

You should probably grab the one that is hardest to replace, not necessarily your "favorite" or "most played." Secondary concern if you gig: what one would you need for that.

Taken as an emotional question:

You'd take the one that means the most to you for intangible reasons.

#1 is impossible to answer, because I'd be going back in for another guitar after waiting too long to get the first one.

#2 I'd probably grab my Fender "Fat Thinline Nashville" Tele. Has a neck humbucker, traditional Tele bridge, Tele neck pickup in the middle, and that will quack in position 2. Weighs next to nothing. I'm not in love with the neck, but one can do just about anything with it soundwise and it scores in the hardest to replace and utility category. I have a solidbody Squier that has a Firebird mini-humbucker and a Strat middle PU that I like the neck better on, but I could more easily hack together a replacement for that.

#3 I'm not feeling emotional about a particular guitar myself right now, though I would miss the exact examples of many of my electrics if they were incinerated.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-27-2022, 06:18 PM

70th Broadcaster:

Old 04-27-2022, 06:23 PM

And this 335 is my favorite as well: can't decide between them.

Old 04-28-2022, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
... You only have time to save one as you're running out of the burning house, and your insurance will reimburse you for the ones left behind (and your family, pets, and acoustics, have already been safely evacuated) which one do you grab...
Maybe flip the switch?
My wife, 2 teenage kids, 2 dogs, 3 guitars (only own 3) are inside the raging fire, the house is about to burn to the ground...

All of them will likely make it outside and escape the fire except one dog who is shy & slow. I will miss that dog, her name is Luna. RIP.

I will bring out my 3 guitars and cheer-on the others to escape the fire, they SHOULD follow me? Darn it! -I forgot my amp & pedal board! I will ask my Son to run back inside the house-fire to save these. If he flinches for a split-second, I will threaten him with his phone privileges. Key Equipment saved and done.
Old 04-28-2022, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

I can never narrow it to one, for now it's this strat style: rosewood over mahogany body. I built her last year from a Warmoth body & Musikraft neck, Lollar pickups w/ Ghost piezo pickups in the bridge.

Maybe new favorite when she's finished, sounded really good strung up before starting the build proper. With the all maple construction, this axe should have less warmth in the harmonics than my first.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:54 AM

Wardo, that's a beautiful 335! What pickups are in them? I just checked the Gibson site and the 2022s have Calibrated T-Type pickups, which I have no idea what those are. I know some previous years had '57 Classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardo View Post
And this 335 is my favorite as well: can't decide between them.

Old 04-28-2022, 11:23 AM

My recent purchase of a Gibson ‘59 ES-335 RI in vintage burst. As soon as I started playing it, I knew this one just felt right. Absolutely a keeper.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:59 AM

My Telestrat partscaster is possibly the cheapest guitar that I have. But it is at the top of my small pile of guitar cases, it is a little unique, and I like the noises that I can get out of it.

and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-28-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wardo, that's a beautiful 335! What pickups are in them? I just checked the Gibson site and the 2022s have Calibrated T-Type pickups, which I have no idea what those are. I know some previous years had '57 Classics.
This one has T-Type Humbuckers whatever that means. It's a 2020 vintage burst. I got it last summer from L&M and it seemed to be the last one they had which kinda motivated me to buy it. I was looking on their site today and they still don't have any apart from a few Custom Shop rigs. They hardly have any Les Pauls either. I like the pickups they sound good. Gibson Deluxe tuners are surprisingly bad for a guitar that cost this much. I have some Klusons on a 2015 LP Jr that I got used might swap them onto the 335 before I sell the Jr. The 335 needs the nut slots down a bit but otherwise good out of the box. Nut slots I leave to someone who has done them a thousand times. There is some marketing story about the T-Types but I can't remember what it is .. lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars