The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
From what they are saying, a vaccine could be 12 - 18 months away. As I understand it, there are already a couple out there in phase one trials. Given the severity and number of people effected, every politician on the planet has a vested interest to see it come out successfully, which should help push it past the typical red tape. I remain hopeful.
Yes, that's what I'm hearing from the experts as well ... 12-18 months for a vaccine to be available. Good news is that the World is working on this.

I'm wondering if once this current wave of covid-19 ends whether we'll have another wave during the next flu season, i.e. the Fall or Winter. Experts aren't sure but it is a real possibility we'll have to go through this again in a few more months.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBD View Post
I think it will be around til we get a vaccine. Then it will be behind us.
Like the flu is behind us?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
Yes. It is behind us from the standpoint of significantly altering our conduct, which was the question.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
There are over 100 different subtypes of influenza that can cause human disease. That's why a new flu vaccine is released every year in an attempt to match whatever strain is prevalent at the time.

So far, there's just one virus causing covid-19. A successful vaccine for that virus would largely put the disease behind us.

Last edited by cmd612; 04-05-2020 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Realize that in the near future the lawsuits will begin for every misstep and decision by every business and government made concerning their covid response.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-05-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I believe, like many things, it will just sort of slowly get better then fade from current attention.
I'd love to agree with you, but in this case the social distancing restrictions are going to have to be formally lifted. They were formally put in place so they can't just be forgotten about.

So, my question is -- what's the order of events? How are the restrictions lifted? All at once? Industry by industry? What's the definition of "safe"? Do we have to see deaths go to zero? Do we have to see new infections go to zero?

Will we all be required to wear masks for some period of time, or will it just be a suggestion? If required, what do we do about restaurants? After all, you have to uncover your mouth in order to eat.

How about sports stadiums; where do they fall in the spectrum?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

I hope at least some changes will continue. Personally if people were to continue stay at lest 6 feet away in line,, it could represent perhaps a significant and beneficial paradigm shift in our collective subconscious and social psyche, in that the mindless herding/crowding that we engaged in pre-corona ,,,, is of no actual benefit, time or health wise.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 04-05-2020, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I hope at least some changes will continue. Personally if people were to continue stay at lest 6 feet away in line,, it could represent perhaps a significant and beneficial paradigm shift in our collective subconscious and social psyche, in that the mindless herding/crowding that we engaged in pre-corona ,,,, is of no actual benefit, time or health wise.
I agree. Even pre-covid19, I really didn't like it when someone invaded my personal space. Would be very happy if the current social distancing guidelines remained in place....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-05-2020, 03:49 PM
Charter Member

Once the worst is behind us (and at this point, we don't know when that will be), there will be some return to normalcy, in terms of public interaction. But many things will change in the short term, and some of these will become permanent changes.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Once the worst is behind us (and at this point, we don't know when that will be), there will be some return to normalcy, in terms of public interaction. But many things will change in the short term, and some of these will become permanent changes.
Yes, I think so too.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

This crisis is not over yet by any means.

The end result in terms of SD remains to be seen.It will depend on the total world fatality rate and particularly that of the more advanced countries.

If there are millions affected or large number of deaths, activities involving large numbers of people will be greatly reduced.

I foresee limits on the number of people that congregate in a restaurant,shop or other public place.

More concerning to me is the economic toll.A depression may lead to civil unrest due to the inequity of wealth.

I hope I'm mistaken.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:52 PM
Charter Member

I’m hoping improvements in personal hygiene, hand washing, and awareness of the importance of staying home from school, work, and social gatherings when sick continues. This alone would reduce cases of the flu, bacterial infections, and the common cold.

Living for 12 years in Marin County, where people love to guard their "personal space" has made following personal distancing recommendations much easier. I have used hand sanitizer religiously for the last five years, and now progressed from being viewed as kind of a germaphobe to being mainstream.

We’ve gotten used to wearing N-95 masks the last few years due to fires, so I already had some on hand. If this becomes recommended as a continuing practice, I imagine there will be more fashionable ones to choose from.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class
Old 04-05-2020, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
...Assuming this thing is ultimately contained and goes away....
Well, this is the only reason we're social distancing. If there is no longer any threat of becoming infected by this sometime deadly disease, then there would be no reason for keeping x number of feet apart.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-05-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seannx View Post
...Living for 12 years in Marin County, where people love to guard their "personal space"...
Yeah, even before this pandemic, I certainly didn't like people being in my face, and I don't think other people like it either.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-05-2020, 07:38 PM

It needs to continue while we don't have the capacity to handle what will occur if it's out of control.

Chatting with someone who was at Mayo before where I am now, he pointed out the problems of it getting out of hand in rural areas where so many small hospitals send patients to larger ones. He said they just don't have the beds or capacity.

I've relayed what's going on where my sister in law is in New York. When "the curve is flattened" life will change.

I predict a lot of change for the better. We've been more prepared for something like this in the past. I predict that will return or be even better. For the most part people are getting along and working things out. Families are together. In neighborhoods and communities people are helping each other. A few I know who are not usually too considerate of others are going crazy trying to help.

We've got pain and problems ahead but I expect to see good too.

Keep the availability bias (aka availability heuristic) in mind when you digest all that's going on and take in the news. Peaks and valleys. Don't just see the bad or negative.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic