The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-04-2020, 01:43 PM

In Singapore, it's a way to keep the country clean... I got lots of information about that during the port brief.
Old 04-04-2020, 02:47 PM

I think it may depend on how soon another contagious infectious disease threatens to go the pandemic route. I've read some speculation from epidemiologists that going forward we (humanity) may see more zoonotic diseases appearing because we've created more favorable conditions globally for this to occur. If Covid-19 is just the first in line of many more such diseases to jump the animal to human barrier, then social distancing may become a cultural staple behavior globally, if not, I believe things will return fairly quickly to pre-Covid-19 norms.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 04-04-2020, 05:11 PM

It all depends on what happens from here. We are in the early innings with this.

The most obvious wrinkle is a vaccine... what if it takes 5 years instead of one or two? Or longer? Doesn’t anyone remember the optimism about finding a cure for cancer back in the 70’s? The so-called “war on cancer”?

There is also the near term trajectory: whether it “disappears” this Summer, or recedes and returns, or whether it lingers over many months.

There is growing concern about what will happen in the South, where several governors have been slow to impose restrictions, and many lof their citizens ack insurance.

We can speculate, but it isn’t any more than speculation. Far too little is known.

Last edited by buddyhu; 04-04-2020 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyhu View Post
It all depends on what happens from here. We are in the early innings with this.

The most obvious wrinkle is a vaccine... what if it takes 5 years instead of one or two? Or longer? Doesn’t anyone remember the optimism about finding a cure for cancer back in the 70’s? The so-called “war on cancer”?

There is also the near term trajectory: whether it “disappears” this Summer, or recedes and returns, or whether it lingers over many months.

There is growing concern about what will happen in the South, where several governors have been slow to impose restrictions, and many lof their citizens ack insurance.

We can speculate, but it isn’t any more than speculation. Far too little is known.
Agreed...and hindsight is 20/20. There will be value in an HONEST postmortem. For those who have not been involved in large projects at work, a "postmortem" is what we do after the project is either finished or near finished to determine what went right, what went wrong, what we could have done better, so we do better the next time. There is always room for improvement, so these things are common practice (at least in engineering circles). We will, both as a nation and as individual states and cities, need this to hopefully be better prepared for the next one of these that comes along.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-04-2020, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

History has proven that an event of this magnitude will change peoples behavior. Understanding human nature as we do we do understand that it will not continue as we are now dealing with things. We also understand it will not go back to the way it was. Things never do and never have. To know how things change you'll have to be a survivor.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-04-2020, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
History has proven that an event of this magnitude will change peoples behavior. Understanding human nature as we do we do understand that it will not continue as we are now dealing with things. We also understand it will not go back to the way it was. Things never do and never have. To know how things change you'll have to be a survivor.
You may have a point. What examples do you have in mind?
Old 04-04-2020, 07:03 PM

I think in this age of short term , quick change, mentality (ie internet) most will nor necessarily forget but be very quick to move on and go back to “normal” in a very short time
Martin D-16e
Goldtone CCR100 Banjo
Fender Albert Hammond Jr. Strat
Fender Player limited edition Cherry Burst Strat
Fender Squire Classic Vibe Tele
Old 04-04-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
I think in this age of short term , quick change, mentality (ie internet) most will nor necessarily forget but be very quick to move on and go back to “normal” in a very short time
Agreed. All it'll take is another Britney Spears, Deepwater Horizon, 9/11 or similar, and most peoples' focus will be diverted to other things.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Totally agree. I hope it's coming. I mean, it sounds like the scientists are still trying to decide how the virus is transmitted. Not only on surfaces and in droplets, but also directly through the air?? That's a different ballgame.
Here's a decent article about the possibility/likelihood of aerosol transmission. The answer appears to be that aerosol transmission is not impossible but is probably not a significant means for the virus to spread.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I have yet to read a credible end game scenario for this pandemic.
I think it will be around til we get a vaccine. Then it will be behind us. It’s going to tank the economy. Lots of people will suffer from illness or poverty or depression or...... People will slowly forget it like the Spanish flu, ebola, aids, the depression, the civil war etc. etc. and return to normal behavior and even normal careless behavior. The economy will recover. Bluetooth “Happy Days are Here again” to the iSpeaker 200 and get back to burning fuel like there’s no tomorrow. But depending on when a vaccine is found, it could be many many years before it fades away to the past.

Last edited by ALBD; 04-04-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 11:08 PM

Far be it for me to be able to predict how many significant behavioral changes and customs will be changed, but I strongly believe there will be many. Changes in smoking habits have changed pretty dramatically over the last 10-20 years as the threat to public health became clearer. The changes in air travel since 9/11 are dramatic. In my lifetime, the development and use of vaccines is nearly universally accepted. Change is coming. So so sadly, when the virus has infected so many and taken so many we are all personally impacted, this will jump out of televisions, smart phones and iPads and become reality rather than reality tv. Then many more people will see the need to do (a number of things) differently.

End of rant

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-05-2020, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
I have yet to read a credible end game scenario for this pandemic.
Nor have I, but I think it's certain that no government that has imposed a lockdown will risk putting its population back into one by loosening things up too early. So we'll see social distancing required as a condition of many activities gradually resuming.

A lot of things will remain changed simply because they've been slow to embrace technology.

In medicine, the practice of distance/tele consultations and even use of robotics will be more widely used.

In education, classroom presence will be much less required, and methods of online learning will be embraced.

In the law, disputes will be resolved more using on-line methods and/or on the basis of documents than witnesses, with in-person hearings and the use of juries in civil cases being greatly reduced.

And so on.

There was a terrific book by Richard Susskind a couple of years ago, The Future of the Professions, that predicted many of the changes we are seeing were going to happen anyway. Just coming sooner rather than later.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:40 AM
Charter Member

I think that post lockdown habits will change but it will depend on cultures.

For the British, I see youngsters "not getting it" - about ten school age kids rambled up our street yesterday afternoon, as if nothing had changed, but kids think they are invincible, which is probably why the News made a big thing abut a young boy who died yesterday ... but do kids watch/listen to the news?

It was a beautiful spring day yesterday and Nanny Jane wanted to take a birthday card to our daughter-in-law the other side of town, so as we are not supposed to use our cars (plenty of others did) we decided to make a long "exercise" walk of it.

Like Us, everyone we met were careful to keep their distance and because it is a new and strange thing, people smile and nod in the process, (its a kind of British "sorry" thing.

I think that it may stay around for some time, particularly in the adult population.

In other cultures - Italy, Spain etc., where folks are far more "touchy feely" perhaps not.

The whole strategy of "flattening the curve" will extend this situation, at least until the economy becomes virtually unsustainable with the government paying everyone's wages to 80%, and the other stuff to support businesses.

We simply cannot sustain this and the cost of living after will plummet and the standards will fall.
Taxes will be crippling, and last for many years as they did after WW2 repaying war "debts".

I believe that Spanish flu re-occurred pretty frequently for about two years after, and I expect this will also, although we might have some defence available, bu viruses mutate faster than we do.

As humanity continues to invade parts of the planet that are populated by creatures that we should not encounter normally, and the wild animal markets of south east Asia continue, new "plagues" will occur.
Old 04-05-2020, 04:04 AM

Plenty of kids are ‘getting it’. I go for a walk every day and have not seen any groups at all. My daughter is fifteen and she hasn’t seen her friends since school closed. She conscientiously does her school work every day. All her friends are the same. I actually feel sorry for kids during this.

OTOH I’ve seen numerous over 70s out and about. I thought maybe they’re the age group who are the most stubborn. But I’m probably jumping to conclusions as well. My parents are both in their 70s and not been out since lockdown began. We delivered shopping to them last week.

Darren
Old 04-05-2020, 06:04 AM

From what they are saying, a vaccine could be 12 - 18 months away. As I understand it, there are already a couple out there in phase one trials. Given the severity and number of people effected, every politician on the planet has a vested interest to see it come out successfully, which should help push it past the typical red tape. I remain hopeful.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic