The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-04-2020, 07:49 AM

Default k&k

Hi ; thinking of purchasing an acoustic with a K&K mini in it.If we ever get to play music out in public again; will it help to have preamp? plugged in to my fishman soloamp. What is recommended ,as a basic preamp? Thanks.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

You'll find lots of info on this if you do a search in this forum. I've tried a lot of preamps including some expensive ones like the Grace Alix but I keep coming back to my Red Eye. Very simple, just a boost button and a treble control (useful if a room gets loud and you don't want to get into a volume war with your audience - boosting the treble lets the signal cut through without additional volume). Hand made in the U.S., great customer support, small and easy to carry, built like a tank. I ALWAYS use it with my K&K-equipped Martins when performing.

Some people like the K&K preamp but it sounded too harsh to me, the RedEye is much more pleasing, to my ear anyway. But you'll get a lot of info....some of it contradictory....so try before you buy, if possible.

Gene
Old 04-04-2020, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
Hi ; thinking of purchasing an acoustic with a K&K mini in it.If we ever get to play music out in public again; will it help to have preamp? plugged in to my fishman soloamp. What is recommended ,as a basic preamp? Thanks.
Hi eyesore

Yes, a preamp improves the sound of K&K Pure Mini pickups through amps and PA systems.

The 'sleeper' solid, quiet operating, middle of the road prosumer preamp (my opinion) is the Fishman Platinum Stage model at $150. It's got as many features as high end preamps (sweepable mids, ground lift, selectable lo frequency cut, auto ground lift, gain-n-master volumes, powers on 9V or Phantom, Aluminum housing, adjustable boost, simultaneous ¼"-n-XLR out…plus more features).

It fits in the pick drawer of my cases, and built like a little tank.

It's $150…

I love the low profile, small size, quiet operation, lots of features, and great sound…

If you want a decent preamp on a budget, the $33 Behringer ADI 21 is actually quite good. The only things I've heard people ding it for is that the case is plastic and the foot switch 'seems' not as solid as high end pedals. Mine is over 10 years old, and the case is holding up just fine. Just hit the foot switch and turn the Blend all the way up (and never turn either off ever again) and fire away! Quiet and plenty of adjustability and signal boost. Again simultaneous ¼"-n-XLR out.

Amazon doesn't handle them sometimes but Musicians Friend, Guitar Center, Adorama, Sweetwater all have them in stock.

This is the first preamp many of my students bought over the years after they borrowed mine for a gig. It's the only one some of them are still using 15-20 years later.

Some players don't think a preamp is needed with Sound Board Transducers. I run sound from time to time, and always loan one from my gear bag to anyone
who doesn't have one. Makes things sound better, and work better (gives me XLR connection to the board).

Hope this adds to the discussion…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-04-2020, 10:54 AM

I have a K&K in my Martin HD-28V. A preamp will help, but the biggest issue is impedance matching. Using a high impedance (Hi-Z) input, typically 1Mohm, significantly reduces piezo "quack." Most mixers do not have Hi-Z inputs, so you need something between the guitar and the mixer to match impedance. A good preamp designed for guitars will do this, as well as give you some EQ control.

K&K makes their own preamp, and I have found that even the inexpensive Behringer ADI21 ($33 at Sweetwater) works reasonably well.

Personally, after trying several preamps, I bit the bullet and bought a ToneDexter, which gives me a sound much closer to that of a "mic'd" guitar than anything else I've tried. Of course, the cost is significantly more.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-04-2020, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

The first thing I would recommend is:

Plug it in to the instrument line input on your Soloamp... you just may find that you like the tone that way!

If you don't, then you're off to "Preamp Land"! I have the K&K Pure XLR preamp and it works well with the K&K - that's what it was designed for?!

Many people have used many different preamps and had success... you get to pick and choose!

The easiest option, of course, would be to use the K&K straight into your PA... especially if you aren't playing "out" very often... which, of course, none of us are doing at the moment!

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 04-04-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
The first thing I would recommend is:

Plug it in to the instrument line input on your Soloamp... you just may find that you like the tone that way!

If you don't, then you're off to "Preamp Land"! I have the K&K Pure XLR preamp and it works well with the K&K - that's what it was designed for?!

Many people have used many different preamps and had success... you get to pick and choose!

The easiest option, of course, would be to use the K&K straight into your PA... especially if you aren't playing "out" very often... which, of course, none of us are doing at the moment!

Agreed. The solo amp has a preamp built right in. You likely won’t need anything else. However, if you plug into a conventional mixer in the future, a preamp, like those mentioned above, is a near necessity.
Old 04-04-2020, 03:23 PM

Yay! don't need a preamp with my soloamp? I guess I'll try it ;when i buy this guitar ...and when I play out in wineries again . stay safe friends!!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:32 PM

many great options - from BOSS GE7, Redeye, Fishman Platinum, Tonedexter ...
if you scroll down to "Best Preamp for K&K Pure Mini passive?" here on AGF, you read some more.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 04-04-2020, 07:19 PM

For $33 a Behringer ADI21 is hard to beat. For $400 a ToneDexter has something nothing less expensive has got (you might find it for $360 if you make some offers). I like those two extremes.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 04-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Far and away the most important thing for any piezo pickups is a proper 1Meg input impedance. Virtually all amps made for acoustic instruments will have at least one channel like this. But I do think a devise like a RedEye will improve the sound some, and are really handy to have in your case if someone wants you to plug into a PA.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 04-04-2020, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
For $33 a Behringer ADI21 is hard to beat. For $400 a ToneDexter has something nothing less expensive has got (you might find it for $360 if you make some offers). I like those two extremes.
One additional cost of the ToneDexter, however, is that you need a mic to train it, and you may find yourself buying, borrowing or stealing multiple mics in your attempt to get the "perfect" wavemap! Still, I have absolutely no regrets about buying it.

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-04-2020, 09:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
One additional cost of the ToneDexter, however, is that you need a mic to train it, and you may find yourself buying, borrowing or stealing multiple mics in your attempt to get the "perfect" wavemap! Still, I have absolutely no regrets about buying it.
Hi phc

High End mics can be rented at reasonable rates.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-04-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:

Many of us think ToneDexter sounds best with an SM57. :-)
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Many of us think ToneDexter sounds best with an SM57. :-)
Molly Tuttle seems to agree (at about 4:20).

2012 Martin HD-28V
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-04-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Molly Tuttle seems to agree (at about 4:20).

Funny! I assume it’s because it’s the mic we all used before the myriad of pickup options came flooding in. The sound we’re used to?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification