The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-30-2020, 06:45 PM

Default L.R. Baggs Para di vs L.R. Baggs Align di

Need some advice from anyone who has experience with both units. I have a Gibson J45 with a L.R. Baggs anthem pick up. I currently use the L.R. Baggs di and run it into a Schertler Roy amp. Everything thing sounds pretty good, play mostly in worship band at church, but like everyone, I am always looking to improve the sound. Not really looking for much as far as changing the voice of the guitar, mainly trying to get the purest acoustic sound; so that it sound like it is unplugged, only louder. Anyway, did know if maybe the L.R. Baggs align di plus the L.R. Baggs align EQ would be better than the L.R. Baggs para di I am currently using. Should probably mention band consists of drums, bass, keyboard electric guitar(lead) and acoustic(rhythm). Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:38 PM

I'm a worship guitarist as well. For acoustic I mostly use a Simon and Patrick showcase rosewood with an LR baggs Anthem. Such a great pickup!

I've used the Para DI for years. Excellent DI, but I found there were some adjustments I wanted to make to my tone that couldn't be achieved with just the Para DI. So I grabbed the Align Session, and while it is subtle, I just love what it does to my tone and the feel of my playing. That being said, I like having the ability to make some adjustments to the eq in addition to what the Session offers. I also have a Venue, and I've been running the Session in to that and am SO happy with it.

To answer your question, I haven't compared the Align DI and eq to the Para DI. I'm sure they're excellent, but don't know how much of an improvement it would make over what you already have . I'd be curious to hear if anyone on here has some experience in that regard.
But I'd say, if you already have the Para DI, instead of getting the align DI and EQ, I'd go for an Align Session and run that in to the Para DI.
Takamine Santa Fe
Simon and Patrick Songsmith Parlor
Simon and Patrick Showcase rosewood (with LR Baggs Anthem SL)
Ovation Celebrity Limited Edition CP2001
Old 03-31-2020, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Both choices would be fine, but I think the Venue offers more flexibility as far as the EQ. The align pedals are quite nice, and I agree, the Session gives you something unique. The reverb is also excellent. The EQ has well-chosen frequencies for guitar. but the Venue, with 2 sweepable mids would be hard to beat with a fixed 5 band EQ. Both do the job as far as the DI part. It kind of comes down to whether you need the sweepable mids, and whether you prefer a component approach with multiple small pedals.

Of course to make your plugged in guitar sound like the acoustic version, the answer would something like ToneDexter, or to stay with Baggs, the new Soundscape DI, once it's comes out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification