The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-31-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
This is an excellent exercise, thanks for posting that. OP, you should try it.
I was working on this exercise for about an hour last night. What's really weird is that after only 5 min of doing this with the C chord I could see my fingers holding the shape better. So simple, but really effective!
Old 03-31-2020, 12:27 PM

A exercise I use when learning a new chord (yes I am still learning after 50 years).

1. form the chord getting all notes to ring clear.
2. remove your hand from the fingerboard place your hand on something flat.
3. form the next chord getting all the notes to ring clear.
4. go to step 2 and continue.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

What I used to do when learning a new chord was to put my fretting hand on my lap, then slowly reach up and grab the chord, strum it to make sure it sounds clean, fix if required, then repeat. I did it from the lap because it was a "cold re-boot" of sorts.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

As mentioned above "air" chord shaping is a good idea and comes fairly naturally with time. Not something you can really practice without the guitar neck in your hands (puts thumb position and width of grip in the right specs).

Coming to a particular chord on the fretboard from various other chord shapes and positions up or down the fretboard helps break the habit of over reliance on the use of guide fingers.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-01-2020, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
I was working on this exercise for about an hour last night. What's really weird is that after only 5 min of doing this with the C chord I could see my fingers holding the shape better. So simple, but really effective!
I'm glad to hear it's helping! I've found it really helpful for my students that have had problems changing chords quickly. After you've practiced doing this exercise with each of your chords and move on to stringing the chords together keep in mind that you've already done the chords individually so you KNOW you can do them. At this point you have to push yourself mentally to trust that you'll get the fingers in the correct shape and on the fingerboard in time for the next chord and just do it. Start at a slow speed, but don't miss the beat. Use a metronome (or metronome app on a phone) if you need. Sometimes hearing the metronome ticking is just the push you need to force you to get the chord changed in time. Above all, don't get frustrated - HAVE FUN!
Old 04-02-2020, 10:36 AM

Default lar nailed it:

4) Using a metronome, set it to 30 BPM and start changing chords. Increase speed until you make mistakes. Then practice at a slightly lower speed where you DON'T make mistakes. Each day re-test the speed where you start making mistakes. It will increase each day or two. Keep doing this every day.

Chord changes need to be from muscle memory, which comes from the cortex of the brain “programming” the cerebellum. A metronome works like magic. Start out so slow that changes are perfect and gradually increase the tempo while maintaining perfection.

Use short but frequent sessions. The real learn happens in between sessions when your brain works it out. It is all about building new neural connections.

Russ

Last edited by rjathon; 04-02-2020 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
https://www.justinguitar.com/

Just can't say enough.

While going thru his course(s), I would also do reps of 300 C-D, C-G, G-D, etc...
You can do this just sitting watching TV.
I'll second Justin. Ir really helps to form a chord, take your hand completely off the fretboard, and then form it again. Repeat 100 or more times in a row. If your chord forms are already solid, then do the same thing with chord changes. SLOWLY. I mean REALLY slowly. The speed will come naturally in the context of songs AFTER you've programmed your fingers to move slowly but precisely.
Old 04-02-2020, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post

Use short but frequent sessions. The real learn happens in between sessions when your brain works it out. It is all about building new neural connections.

Russ
That is a wonderful observation, especially for those of us inexperienced players who can sometimes forget that less drilling is sometimes more learning.
Obliged for that, Russ.
David
Old 04-04-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim44 View Post
Hi everyone,

I’m getting discouraged. I don’t know if I should be, but I am. I’ve been practicing changing between A, C, D, E, and G everyday for about 30 minutes for about 5 months and I don’t feel like I’m getting any better.

Should I be frustrated? I keep thinking that a year from now I will still be struggling.

Any advise is appreciated. Thanks!

Jim
Are you posting this thread for public assessment of your frustration? Like empathy? You got it. I empathize.

Now...

Fluidly changing chords (reshaping the fingers/hand/mindset) takes time and, together with observing each chord for methods of making the changes easier, will ultimately be achieved.

You might take the time to review what you attempt to do and break it down into its parts. Moving from one chord shape to another doesn't always require a simultaneous ungrouping-regrouping of the fingers from one chord shape to another. Nor does it matter which fingers, or number of fingers, are manipulated, or how they are ordered.

The A major chord should be played strictly as a half barre with the index finger. That doesn't immediately come, though. In time the fingertip will gain backward bending flexibility making the chord a single finger no-brainer.

Pulling a single finger off the fret board to use in the next chord shape is a lot easier on the brain and hand. That next chord shape is already in the bag but do all the strings have to be fretted simultaneously? Usually not. In the case of the C chord place the finger on the first string sounded and then let the others take their respective places. This is the way of it for all successive chord shapes. If you're strumming then you'll just have to be quicker at it, or make your first strum a quarter-note beat holder thump as your fingers lay down for the following (sounded) strums.

Some people have a challenging time of it coordinating chord changes but usually they too will become adept at it with practice. Give yourself a break from the frustration, though. It won't help.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Are you posting this thread for public assessment of your frustration? Like empathy? You got it. I empathize.

Now...

Fluidly changing chords (reshaping the fingers/hand/mindset) takes time and, together with observing each chord for methods of making the changes easier, will ultimately be achieved.

You might take the time to review what you attempt to do and break it down into its parts. Moving from one chord shape to another doesn't always require a simultaneous ungrouping-regrouping of the fingers from one chord shape to another. Nor does it matter which fingers, or number of fingers, are manipulated, or how they are ordered.

The A major chord should be played strictly as a half barre with the index finger. That doesn't immediately come, though. In time the fingertip will gain backward bending flexibility making the chord a single finger no-brainer.

Pulling a single finger off the fret board to use in the next chord shape is a lot easier on the brain and hand. That next chord shape is already in the bag but do all the strings have to be fretted simultaneously? Usually not. In the case of the C chord place the finger on the first string sounded and then let the others take their respective places. This is the way of it for all successive chord shapes. If you're strumming then you'll just have to be quicker at it, or make your first strum a quarter-note beat holder thump as your fingers lay down for the following (sounded) strums.

Some people have a challenging time of it coordinating chord changes but usually they too will become adept at it with practice. Give yourself a break from the frustration, though. It won't help.

I disagree about the A chord has to played “strictly” with the single finger barre. That’s one way of fingering that chord, but I personally prefer using the 234 fingers because it opens other seamless chord transitions.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I disagree about the A chord has to played “strictly” with the single finger barre. That’s one way of fingering that chord, but I personally prefer using the 234 fingers because it opens other seamless chord transitions.
I prefer using the 213 fingers for basically the same reason. Sometimes I cheat and do a quick B chord with the single finger barre on the 4th fret.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Never say never and never say always.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-04-2020, 10:58 PM

The ergonomics of changing chords smoothly quickly and efficiently are the most important, and the most neglected, element of learning how to play guitar.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:04 PM

i agree with playing songs. Also, if you can start playing along with someone or a group of folks, that will help a lot. As for drills, try counting along with the changes to learn to change chords in time. Like G 2, 3, 4 C, 2, 3, 4, D 2, 3, 4 etc.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:06 AM

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the reassurance and advice.

Jim

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write