The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-25-2020, 12:51 AM

Ok so if I need to summarize all the comments I think it's between the
Bugera AC60 and the Fishman Loud box mini

My budget is limit so the Bugera is really the one

I need it only for home and I used it for fingerPicking for my Martin ooo10e

My Yamaha has already big volume and manly used for flat picking.
Yamaha LL-TA
Old 03-25-2020, 11:14 AM

I've had a Fishman Loudbox Artist (middle of the line up) for several years because someone didn't appreciate the pa being set up in the dining room. I mostly use it as a vocal monitor for practice because amplifying a strummed guitar doesn't require additional amplification in this situation, but finger picking songs do. It has been reliable and I like the sound. I think it has a few extra features compared to the mini.

I've been looking at the Fender Accoustasonic 40 as a more lightweight amp that is easier to move around at an advertised weight of 16.5 pounds. The Loudbox Artist is pretty heavy for an old guy although I'm sure the mini is lighter. MF has it regularly for about $200. I've had a Bugera G20 for over 2 years and love it. Great tone and has been reliable although it has never left the house. Best of luck of finding the right amp for you.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:20 AM
Charter Member

Loudbox mini all the way. I just got my first amp and I chose the Loudbox after checking out as many as I could both live and online.

I was able to play the Loudbox, the Marshall, Fender, and Acoustic (GC house brand). I checked out others online. The Loudbox was the clear winner for me.

For those of you who question why someone wants an amp for home, I say ''try it, you might like it.'' I have one guitar with a JJB pickup and I have a lot of fun playing it. When you play your guitar, you don't really hear how it sounds in front, with a little amp tilted up in front of you, you really get a great tone coming right at you.

Once I got the amp set where I like it, High 2 o'clock, mid 11, low 2, reverb off, chorus light, I haven't changed it at all.

If you want an amp, get one. It's another great way to play your guitar.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMN View Post
Hi, I'm looking for practice amp only for my home.

I want an amp that will give the most authentic sound of the guitar.

It's difficult for me to hear all of them together so I want to hear some opinion or maybe a better solution for my needs

thanks
I'm only familiar (as in hands-on for a good amount of time) with two of those you listed, the Fishman and the Marshall. I've had hands-on with other amps in the room with most of the amps I discuss here. That 'hearing-them-all-together' (even one or two at a time) is pretty critical.

The Marshall is a lot louder, but lacks in the high end range. The one you listed may be an updated model from the one I spent time with…but compared to my UltraSound amps, there was just about zero treble adjustment. Perhaps it had a blown tweeter…

The clarity of an acoustic comes from the ability to add some high end.

The Fishman amps work fine, and have good tone adjustment, and a bit too much treble for my ear/needs compared to others. They will cut through on a moderate stage, but solo in a room always sound a bit harsher to me.

The Rolands are a good compromise, and sound better in the living room but struggle to cut through on stage. I did a gig with a young man who owns the big Roland acoustic amp, and we ended up subbing in one of my spare UltraSound amps because his just got lost in the stage volume (loud floor monitors, and loud stage).

The UltraSounds are a great middle-o-the road, but even though I love all 3 of mine, I'd not buy a new one. Their service and availability were ruined since Dean Markley bought them a few years back.

And the AER amps are king! They have the most natural, balanced sound and great features right out of the box. They are pricey. Humphreys are good too, but double the price of the AER. If you are looking to invest in a life-time-of-great-amp the AER is light, small and powerful…plus it sounds amazing.

If anyone get's hands-on with an Orange, I'd love to hear thoughts and comparisons with it.

[/size]

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-26-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
The UltraSounds are a great middle-o-the road, but even though I love all 3 of mine, I'd not buy a new one. Their service and availability were ruined since Dean Markley bought them a few years back.

And the AER amps are king! They have the most natural, balanced sound and great features right out of the box. They are pricey . . .[/size]
Totally agree. I almost bought an early UltraSound but ended up with my Genz-Benz Shen 85. The UltraSound had, to my ears, the most natural guitar sound of any at the time but, IMO, lacked a bit for vocals. I had a friend, though, that had a great sounding system with 2 of the UltaSounds on stands & a small mixer.

While I haven't had the pleasure of playing through an AER, they do have the reputation for being great sounding combo amps! As I researched before my latest amp purchase, I read a bunch of reviews the said the Bugera AC60 had a very similar sound, probably as it is closely designed (knocked off?) after the AER Compact 60. I haven't been able to A-B them myself, but can attest to the fact that the Bugera AC60 sounds great! When you factor the significant price differential into the equation, it really does support the Bugera as a "bang-for-the-buck" winner. If I were making my living playing out I would check out the AER, for sure, but for the occasional gig & "home amp" use, the Bugera gets a nod from me.

Frank
Old 03-26-2020, 12:13 PM

I've played through a Loudbox Mini and was really impressed.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 03-26-2020, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaMN View Post
Hi, I'm looking for practice amp only for my home.

I want an amp that will give the most authentic sound of the guitar.

I thinking on few model:

1. Fishman loud box mini - 570$

2. BugeraAC60 - 285$

3. Orange Crash Acoustic - 485$

4. Nux stageman 50 - 485$

5. Marshall AS50D. - 485$

It's difficult for me to hear all of them together so I want to hear some opinion or maybe a better solution for my needs

thanks
ShaMN:

I think you misquoted the price on the Loudbox Mini. They can be found as low as $279.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:55 PM

My first acoustic amp really helped me to be a better player. It magnified all my mistakes. So, support having that acoustic home amp to improve your learning process.

Hold everything. My suggestion is to buy and amp you use at home but take out to gigs later. If you can find a used SWR Strawberry Blonde (if at Guitar Center by the insurance). It will last a lifetime. Mine is about 20 years old and still sounds pretty good, and after all pretty good is pretty good and often good enough.

Good luck!
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-27-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

1. Fishman loud box mini - 570$

2. BugeraAC60 - 285$

3. Orange Crash Acoustic - 485$

4. Nux stageman 50 - 485$

5. Marshall AS50D. - 485$

I've got to say that since this is just for at home, looking at the prices you post, I'd really want to try the Bugera and see if I could love it!
Old 03-27-2020, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

I've owned one of the Bugeras for well over a year, bought it after reading reviews from folks on this forum. I must say it does everything I need for an acoustic amp to do. Sounds great with my various guitars and pickup systems and the vocals sound pretty decent as well. I leave mine at church, where I use it every week to play music for 100-150 kids in a pretty big room. Works perfect for that.

I also keep another small amp at home to practice looping and that sort of thing. The sound quality isn't really all that critical, but I still want it to sound decent, just for my own aesthetics. I have a well-used Roland CM-30 Cube Monitor that is just perfect for that. No effects, but plenty of inputs to add backing tracks, vocals, drum machines, or whatever else I want to add. Mine is at least 9 years old, I've even used it for a bunch of patio gigs and it still keeps ticking. You can find them used for well under $200. Just one more option to consider.
Old 03-27-2020, 09:11 AM

Loving my 3 band eq/reverb/chorus/bluetooth Loudbox Mini Charge for the apocalypse now. If they shut the power out I’m still good for 4-12hours on battery depending on the master and unlike the Bose counterpart mine holds a charge. $530 on sweetwater.com right now, but if you don’t want the off the grid option the Loudbox Mini BT is only $350 both are solid deals for a fricken loud little practice amp/gig monitor.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfoo6952 View Post
ShaMN:

I think you misquoted the price on the Loudbox Mini. They can be found as low as $279.
Unfortunately in my country (Israel) this is the price
Yamaha LL-TA
Old 03-29-2020, 05:35 PM

I have the Loudbox Mini, a Fender Acoustic 200, and had the Yamaha THR5A. All have their use cases and pros/cons. But for a simple practice amp, the Loudbox Mini is tough to beat, especially at the price point. It accurately amplifies the acoustic tone of my guitars very well. Great at low volumes, but can get impressively loud. The main drawbacks I've heard mentioned are the lack of phantom power for condenser mics, and that the Tolex covering on older models doesn't hold up well.

I actually sold my original Loudbox Mini when I "upgraded" to the Fender, but missed it so much I bought another one. Highly recommend.

Eastman AC722ce ('21 Natural)
Eastman E20D-TC
Eastman E20OM-TC
Eastman E20OO-SB
Taylor 814ce DLX
Taylor 812ce DLX 12-Fret
Taylor 517 WHB Grand Pacific
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa ('16)
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Eastman T64/v
Eastman SB59-GB
Fender Am Ultra Telecaster Ultraburst
Fender Am Pro Strat Ltd
Duesenberg Caribou Blonde Butterscotch
Old 03-30-2020, 03:52 PM
Charter Member

Assuming this is just for acoustics I would also look at the boss acoustic singer live. I bought the loudbox and it to do a comparison and the boss won out.

It does a lot more (looper USB interface / recording etc) and has a lot more tone flexibility. The down side is that it takes more to dial in to what you want whereas the loudbox is pretty easy to get a good tone out of right off the bat.

My loudbox has basically been sitting since I bought the boss and I need to just put it on the market

I also have a Yamaha thr5a. I consider it a great amp for using with headphones and very quiet play time through the speaker
Old 04-01-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

As an update I just picked up a thr10ii. Also a good choice for a home practice amp if space is a premium or you have a desktop use case. Much better all around and for Accoustic from what I've seen so far than my thr5a

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification