The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
I think this was the first time a AFC team beat a NFC team. The Lions losing has a looooooong history and I have every confidence they will continue to keep going with their specialty.

Fog
The Saints were always an NFC team.

The current record is 64 yards from Matt Prater, a Broncos kicker kicking at Mile High Stadium. The "rareified" air at a mile above sea level makes balls travel farther. Ask any baseball player playing at Coors field if playing in Denver increases their chances of hitting a ball into the stands.

Tom Dempsey did it at sea level and his record went unmatched from 1970 to 1998 when Jason Elam, another Broncos kicker kicking a mile above sea level also tied it.

The record was then subsequently tied a few more times until Prater broke it.

Lastly, Tom Dempsey kicked it "north/south" style instead of the "soccer style" kicking you see today. Kicking a ball soccer style has a mechanical advantage in that a kicker can get more leg swing, hence more leg velocity, than a "straight on" kicker can get.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 04-05-2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
The Saints were always an NFC team.

The current record is 64 yards from Matt Prater, a Broncos kicker kicking at Mile High Stadium. The "rareified" air at a mile above sea level makes balls travel farther. Ask any baseball player playing at Coors field if playing in Denver increases their chances of hitting a ball into the stands.

Tom Dempsey did it at sea level and his record went unmatched from 1970 to 1998 when Jason Elam, another Broncos kicker kicking a mile above sea level also tied it.

The record was then subsequently tied a few more times until Prater broke it.

Lastly, Tom Dempsey kicked it "north/south" style instead of the "soccer style" kicking you see today. Kicking a ball soccer style has a mechanical advantage in that a kicker can get more leg swing, hence more leg velocity, than a "straight on" kicker can get.
Back in 2002, Ola Kimrin kicked of the Broncos kicked a 65-yard field goal during a preseason game against the Seahawks. The kick didn't count toward the record, though, because it didn't occur during the regular season...
Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry to hear that. I remember that kick well. Amazing guy.
Old 04-06-2020, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracerbullet View Post
Agreed
This is the biggest problem with the panic over this virus. The vast, vast majority of patient deaths are in conjunction with other medical problems. If the patient tests positive for COVID and they die of cancer the patients are being reported as dying from COVID. Unless the medical examiner does a thorough autopsy, which in the best case scenario takes weeks to get completed, One has no idea what actually caused the death.
Cancer isn’t a common “other medical problem” in these deaths, high blood pressure is. Know anyone with high blood pressure? That counts as an underlying medical issue. As does asthma, diabetes, COPD, kidney disease, etc. Basically all of the most common chronic diseases in the US.

Referring to cancer makes it sound like they were going to die anyway. Simply not the case in the overwhelming majority of cases.

Quote:
"These results are consistent with findings from China and Italy, which suggest that patients with underlying health conditions and risk factors, including, but not limited to, diabetes mellitus, hypertension, [chronic obstructive pulmonary disease], coronary artery disease, cerebrovascular disease, chronic renal disease, and smoking, might be at higher risk for severe disease or death from COVID-19," the authors concluded.
http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...hronic-disease

As such, the assertion that "This is the biggest problem with the panic over this virus" or the implication that under/over-reporting of deaths is a major issue, holds no water. People with chronic disease certainly have serious health issues which need medical attention, but are by no means necessarily at death's door.

Last edited by Dirk Hofman; 04-06-2020 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
Cancer isn’t a common “other medical problem” in these deaths, high blood pressure is. Know anyone with high blood pressure? That counts as an underlying medical issue. As does asthma, diabetes, COPD, kidney disease, etc. Basically all of the most common chronic diseases in the US.

Referring to cancer makes it sound like they were going to die anyway. Simply not the case in the overwhelming majority of cases.

http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...hronic-disease

As such, the assertion that "This is the biggest problem with the panic over this virus" or the implication that under/over-reporting of deaths is a major issue, holds no water. People with chronic disease certainly have serious health issues which need medical attention, but are by no means necessarily at death's door.
Here are the actual CDC Guidelines:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

I see a lot of people claiming that the CDC is directing physicians to state Covid-19 as the "cause of death" even if someone dies of another cause but has been diagnosed with Covid-19.

That is complete hogwash. Nowhere do the CDC guidelines linked above state that.

(I know you are not claiming that...your comments clearly state otherwise...I just wish people would actually research claims themselves.)
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 04-06-2020, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
Here are the actual CDC Guidelines:

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvss/vsrg/vsrg03-508.pdf

I see a lot of people claiming that the CDC is directing physicians to state Covid-19 as the "cause of death" even if someone dies of another cause but has been diagnosed with Covid-19.

That is complete hogwash. Nowhere do the CDC guidelines linked above state that.

(I know you are not claiming that...your comments clearly state otherwise...I just wish people would actually research claims themselves.)
What I see in this case is a situation where some media interests and some citizens have a vested interest in downplaying the COVID-19 situation. If they can seize on an example where someone's death has been categorized as death by COVID-19 when it may have been something else, they will do so, and play that up over and over again, attempting to manufacture a scandal out of an edge case.

Doesn't hold up to even brief examination. But it will get traction, sadly.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
...attempting to manufacture a scandal out of an edge case.
What a pithy way to put it. I'm storing this for later use. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-06-2020, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Wow - that's a great pic of his kicking foot.
That's Alex Karras, #71, trying to get in their for the block!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 04-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Yep, Dempsey finished his career here in Buffalo.

Then the NFL decided he had an unfair advantage with a prosthetic and banned them from all competition, effectively banning anyone with a handicap.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic