The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-28-2020, 06:15 AM

Default More Preamps/Audio Interface

Hi again,
I am considering to buy the Motu M4 audio interface to replace my Audient ID22. I need more that two preamps and this Motu M4 seems to be priced fine for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who has added one of these units to their system generally to get a feel for how they perform

Cheers
Alan
Old 01-28-2020, 07:03 AM

I have no experience with this unit, but these people have much to say:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/prod...erfaces-4.html

~Bob
Old 01-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmarle View Post
Hi again,
I am considering to buy the Motu M4 audio interface to replace my Audient ID22. I need more that two preamps and this Motu M4 seems to be priced fine for me. I'd like to hear from anyone who has added one of these units to their system generally to get a feel for how they perform

Cheers
Alan
I'm missing something. Both the Motu M4 and Audient ID22 have exactly 2 mic preamps. How do you get more by going from the Audient (a pretty good unit by all reports) to the Motu?
Old 01-28-2020, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
I'm missing something. Both the Motu M4 and Audient ID22 have exactly 2 mic preamps. How do you get more by going from the Audient (a pretty good unit by all reports) to the Motu?
Hi Keith, thanks for reply
The ID22 yes 2 x preamps, the Motu M4 have 4 x inputs consisting of 2 x preamps - plus 2 x 1/4 inputs - so I can run the Gap Pre 73 JR (Vocal Mic) through one of the 1/4 inputs and both my dual source acoustic guitar jacks via preamps 1 & 2. The Audient is excellent, so the ID44 (4 x pre's) is the obvious choice really but is almost double the cost of the Motu M4
Old 01-28-2020, 12:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Keith, thanks for reply
The ID22 yes 2 x preamps, the Motu M4 have 4 x inputs consisting of 2 x preamps - plus 2 x 1/4 inputs - so I can run the Gap Pre 73 JR (Vocal Mic) through one of the 1/4 inputs and both my dual source acoustic guitar jacks via preamps 1 & 2. The Audient is excellent, so the ID44 (4 x pre's) is the obvious choice really but is almost double the cost of the Motu M4
The Audient ID14 has optical in so *I think* you could link the optical out of the ID22 to an ID14, but it can get a bit cumbersome. It would give you an extra mic pre to play with as well.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi again,

Cheers
Alan
Have never used MOTU but it has a very enthusiastic following.
At the feature set and price point it is hard to imagine going wrong

here is some info on it from Sweetwater

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-29-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Have never used MOTU but it has a very enthusiastic following.
At the feature set and price point it is hard to imagine going wrong

here is some info on it from Sweetwater
Thanks KevWind and other replies,
At the moment there are no suppliers with stock in the UK maybe in February, so I am looking to see what is available in ADAT pre's (used) which allows me to connect to my existing ID22. I've never used anything hooked up via ADAT so I'll search and see what is involved. I don't have much of a footprint on my desktop so it is looking like a replacement due to being tight for space
Old 01-29-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Thanks KevWind and other replies,
At the moment there are no suppliers with stock in the UK maybe in February, so I am looking to see what is available in ADAT pre's (used) which allows me to connect to my existing ID22. I've never used anything hooked up via ADAT so I'll search and see what is involved. I don't have much of a footprint on my desktop so it is looking like a replacement due to being tight for space
There are some really nice adat “expanders” out there that will let you add channels to an existing interface. Typically, its not much more diificult than connecting a “lightpipe” adat connecter and then clicking the correct boxes in your software so the two piece of gear work together correctly.
‘20 Gibson 1960 Hummingbird reissue
‘16 Gibson Hummingbird Avant Guard (gigging guitar)

Note to self: Never play a guitar you aren’t willing to buy.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlee7 View Post
There are some really nice adat “expanders” out there that will let you add channels to an existing interface. Typically, its not much more diificult than connecting a “lightpipe” adat connecter and then clicking the correct boxes in your software so the two piece of gear work together correctly.
Thank You Guys for all replies.

It looks like I may go for the Motu M4 (not yet available in the UK) and try a straight replacement for my Audient ID22, mainly due to being tight for space on my desktop, it will give me the additional preamp I want within my budget. If the quality and sound is too far apart I will then revert back to the ID22 and just keep a look out for an ADAT expander and just make/find the space

Regards
Alan
Old 02-02-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
The Audient ID14 has optical in so *I think* you could link the optical out of the ID22 to an ID14, but it can get a bit cumbersome. It would give you an extra mic pre to play with as well.
Thanks keith,
I'm still mulling and searching about but your solution may take up more of my desktop space but it would give me 4 x Audient preamps would it not... ?. I do like my ID22 - a great unit..Hmm.!

Alan
Old 02-03-2020, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks keith,
I'm still mulling and searching about but your solution may take up more of my desktop space but it would give me 4 x Audient preamps would it not... ?. I do like my ID22 - a great unit..Hmm.!

Alan
Hi Keith, I have asked Audient the question about linking the ID22 with the ID14 here is their reply:

Hello there,
"Thank you for your message.
It is possible to use both units at the same time, but they haven't really been designed with this in mind, so it is not very easy to set up and we don't normally recommend this.

The iD driver will only work with one device at a time, so you will need to connect the iD22 and set it up so that it sends its inputs out of the optical outputs. To configure this, bring the Mic 1 and Mic 2 Cue A faders up and pan them all the way left and right. Then open the System Panel, make sure Digital Out is set to ADAT and route the first digital outputs pair to CUE A. You will then unplug the iD22 USB cable and connect the iD14 to the computer. Connect the optical output of the iD22 to the optical input of the iD14 with a Toslink cable, set the iD14 Preferred Clock Source to Optical and match the sample rate of the iD14 to that of the iD22, which will be indicated with the Status light under the Preferred Clock Source menu turning green.

Once this has been done, the inputs of the iD22 will show up under the optical inputs of the iD14. This setup process will need to be repeated every time the interfaces are powered on."
Old 04-05-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Hi again,

Cheers
Alan
I'm also looking at the M2 or M4 for my first audio interface. Seems to be a strong contender, most places out of stock currently.
95 Ovation Custom Legend

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD