The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-15-2020, 10:37 PM

Default Coming back from stroke (43)

I had a guy today who was still recovering from a stroke last year. He had played keyboard and guitar professionally in the past. Since the stroke he had made significant recovery. He could still play keyboard, but his fretting hand continued to be weak and awkward.
He said that physical therapy was helping and he was going to request special exercises to see how much more finger dexterity he could regain.
His attitude and determination were commendable.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I had a guy today who was still recovering from a stroke last year. He had played keyboard and guitar professionally in the past. Since the stroke he had made significant recovery. He could still play keyboard, but his fretting hand continued to be weak and awkward.
He said that physical therapy was helping and he was going to request special exercises to see how much more finger dexterity he could regain.
His attitude and determination were commendable.
Hi whvick
I have a friend who went through that at about the same age. It took him over a year to recover decent dexterity, but he finally achieved it. He described it as re-training his hands to do what his brain told them to they should be doing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-16-2020, 09:03 AM

Sad to hear this kind of story. Of all the things that can (and will) do me in, I have to say that a stroke is the one thing that scares me the most having seen my mother, for one, be taken down painfully slowly by a couple of them.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I take it the guy was 43 years old. That's a young age and he can overcome the physical issues. Older people not so much. Many here have physical issues that they have to contend with to make music. The fact is playing an instrument is about overcoming and dealing with our physical limitations. It's all part of our journey and part of our music making journey also. I wish him the best of luck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-16-2020, 11:03 AM

Are you teaching him lessons? That's gotta be a tough thing to come back from, anything that takes away your passion. Sounds like he may have the right attitude to get back into music.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I take it the guy was 43 years old. That's a young age and he can overcome the physical issues. Older people not so much. Many here have physical issues that they have to contend with to make music. The fact is playing an instrument is about overcoming and dealing with our physical limitations. It's all part of our journey and part of our music making journey also. I wish him the best of luck.

Sorry
The 43, is to note it is #43 in a series of guitar stories where I give my patient a pick and ask them to tell me a story about their guitar experience. This guy is in his 60s, and doing well with recovery. A good attitude makes a difference. And a desire to get back to something such as guitar is a good motivator.
Thanks
Whvick
Old 02-16-2020, 06:36 PM

My husband has had two major strokes and a few "clinically silent" ones. Attitude is everything. I'm always trying to figure out how to motivate him, but there is very little he wants to do to help himself. I do think his ability to care about stuff has been diminished. I would have great hope for anyone, though, who is committed to regaining their skills.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 02-16-2020, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Have your friend watch one of Pete Huttlinger's final interviews

The part pertaining to your friend starts at 13:02 and if it gets boring skip ahead to 20:28 - but it is great 40 minute interview and we could all get something out of it.
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin

Last edited by Cypress Knee; 02-17-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
Have your friend watch one of Pete Huttlinger's final interviews

The part pertaining to your friend starts at 13:02 and if it gets boring skip ahead to 20:28 - but it is great 40 minute interview and we could all get something out of it.

Thanks
I watched and was impressed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic