The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Default Cutaways--fading away?

Looking around our acoustic guitar universe, it's hard to avoid noticing that various body styles (dreads, OMs, slopes, parlors, jumbos) are now far more common in their traditional states than with cutaways. Even Taylor--who rose to dominance partly as a result of their mainstreaming of cutaways--has gone traditional with their Grand Pacific.

I myself have always loved the curvaceous beauty of a great cutaway like the Santa Cruz F/FS (the Marilyn Monroe of guitars). But, like so many things, guitar building goes through styles and trends, and cutaways are now looking so last century.

Of course, the extreme cutaway in Martin's new SC-13E is an exception, but this model seems more geared to electric players than to acoustic purists.

Thoughts?
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've lived through so many guitar gear style periods that I've come up with the term, "Sneer periods," as in periods where trendy people have something to sneer about at non-trendy people. I might give it a little more time before I call it a trend. It might be a trend, but when it becomes hard to find a cutaway in the stores, I'll call it a style. More about Sneer Periods, HERE.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

+1, Bob Womack, +1.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:00 AM

Other than the GP I haven't noticed such a "trend". When I go see people play out in clubs it's cutaways being used at a 3 or 4 to 1 ratio.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've lived through so many guitar gear style periods that I've come up with the term, "Sneer periods," as in periods where trendy people have something to sneer about at non-trendy people. I might give it a little more time before I call it a trend. It might be a trend, but when it becomes hard to find a cutaway in the stores, I'll call it a style. More about Sneer Periods, HERE.

Bob
amusing but all about 'lectric 'tars (passing fad!)

I do see fashions in acoustics although judging from most threads here they are mainly about D18s or OMs. (dunno anything about Taylors or CFs).

Lately, I see far more baby boomers getting too fat/creaky for dreads and jumbos and looking for smaller guitars (which many think are all "parlours"!)

Certainly wouldn't mourn the passing of cutaways - never seen the point - if you feel a need to play up that high - get a telecaster!

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 02-12-2020 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:09 AM

I'm not so sure. Martin just released a big new cutaway model. Bourgeois has been releasing new cutaway models. Seems like the normal eb and flow : traditional brands branching out with non traditional models, and non-traditional brands branching out with more tradional models. Everyone's trying to expand their market.
1968 Yamaha FG-180
Old 02-12-2020, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

I think the cutaway on the acoustic guitar was part of the modern sound trend. I think in response to the modern sound trend, Martin, in particular, moved towards recreating their history. So that started a traditional or authentic trend, which tended to mean no cutaways.

I think there is room in this world for both trends, since both are useful and produce fascinating guitar tones. As the OP noted, the shape of the Santa Cruz FS model (a model I own) is pretty attractive and for instrumental music, the guitar is wonderful. I think there is also a fair amount of enthusiasm for Martin's Authentic line of guitars and Taylor's Grand Pacific line has also been received with enthusiasm. So has the Collings Waterloo guitars and Gibson's reissues. At the same time, there are plenty of Martin guitars out there with cutaways, too.

It's all good. I don't think the cutaway is going away, but it's also a good thing for people who are not enamored of cutaways that there is another trend towards the traditional.

- Glenn
Old 02-12-2020, 10:18 AM

Lately I have thought about my own musical journey and in doing so I Have considered the very subject matter at hand, that being the evolution of cutaway guitars that have passed through my hands over the last 50+ years.

It seems as though the popular rock music of the late 1950’s through the 1990’s had all of us folks that cut our teeth primarily with an electric guitar (most of which were/are cutaway body styles) seeking out acoustic and acoustic-electric instruments as our musical tastes matured. Of course we would choose to buy a cutaway acoustic because of the COOL factor as well as the fact that that’s what we were used to playing and that’s what we thought we needed.

In today’s world the acoustic guitar has come on to its own with many forms of electronic amplification available and electric guitars have done the same with modeling and any number of effects. Acoustic and electric guitars are commonly played as accompaniment to each other which leaves the acoustic guitar to be just that......an acoustic guitar!

With this in mind I feel all of the folks that thought they needed an acoustic cutaway back in the day are getting a bit older and their music style has evolved and matured.
I find this to be my mindset as I have abandoned my cutaway acoustic guitars (Save for one cut dread and my Archtop Jazz Box) for full bodied acoustics, five of which are OM or smaller and four are 12 fretters.
I have also been concentrating on fingerstyle guitar which has limited use for a cutaway.

Blues
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
Lately I have thought about my own musical journey and in doing so I Have considered the very subject matter at hand, that being the evolution of cutaway guitars that have passed through my hands over the last 50+ years.

It seems as though the popular rock music of the late 1950’s through the 1990’s had all of us folks that cut our teeth primarily with an electric guitar (most of which were/are cutaway body styles) seeking out acoustic and acoustic-electric instruments as our musical tastes matured. Of course we would choose to buy a cutaway acoustic because of the COOL factor as well as the fact that that’s what we were used to playing and that’s what we thought we needed.

In today’s world the acoustic guitar has come on to its own with many forms of electronic amplification available and electric guitars have done the same with modeling and any number of effects. Acoustic and electric guitars are commonly played as accompaniment to each other which leaves the acoustic guitar to be just that......an acoustic guitar!

With this in mind I feel all of the folks that thought they needed an acoustic cutaway back in the day are getting a bit older and their music style has evolved and matured.
I find this to be my mindset as I have abandoned my cutaway acoustic guitars (Save for one cut dread and my Archtop Jazz Box) for full bodied acoustics, five of which are OM or smaller and four are 12 fretters.
I have also been concentrating on fingerstyle guitar which has limited use for a cutaway.

Blues
Very sound observations, Blues. Through their cutaways, slim, bolt-on necks, and on-board electronics, Taylor was building bridges to electric players. And they succeeded in widening the definition of acoustic guitar.

Now, it seems, a lot of players--including aging boomers like me--want their acoustics to be pure acoustics, in a more traditional sense. Less need or desire for the electric aspect.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
I myself have always loved the curvaceous beauty of a great cutaway like the Santa Cruz F/FS (the Marilyn Monroe of guitars).
That is a great line - and I agree 1000% - it was the look that attracted me initially to SCGC, but it was the quality, the tone, and the company attitude that has held me since.

But I wouldn’t “not” buy a guitar because of its cutaway status. Done well, they look great, done poorly, they detract from the overall appearance - much like soundports.

I find the only time I “need” a cutaway is on the relatively rare occasions I want to capo up high on the neck, and I actually need to use that extra fretboard space - but thats pretty rare -
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Certainly wouldn't mourn the passing of cutaways - never seen the point - if you feel a need to play up that high - get a telecaster!
Foo

-Mike
Old 02-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
That is a great line - and I agree 1000% - it was the look that attracted me initially to SCGC, but it was the quality, the tone, and the company attitude that has held me since.

But I wouldn’t “not” buy a guitar because of its cutaway status. Done well, they look great, done poorly, they detract from the overall appearance - much like soundports.

I find the only time I “need” a cutaway is on the relatively rare occasions I want to capo up high on the neck, and I actually need to use that extra fretboard space - but thats pretty rare -
Thanks, Tadol. I do regard that F/FS as the most beautiful and iconic cutaway of all time. It's just perfect, a masterpiece of shape and proportion.

Oddly enough, I've never actually owned one. Someday, I hope!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
…Thoughts?
Hi h325

A couple thoughts, and not just applicable to cutaways…

Trends in guitar building are like waves on a beach, they change and repeat in cycles. If a design was successful for a company in stirring up a sales boost, it will need revamping in the future as buyers are attracted to the trends of other builders.

Companies like Martin, Taylor, SantaCruz, etc. change up designs so a person will be attracted to owning more-than-one.

I actually think companies play down the concept of a "Life Instrument" or "Instrument for Life" concept to make sure they have an ongoing market.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-12-2020, 11:13 AM

Maybe it's the music we're playing these days? I have only one cutaway, but I don't often use any frets above ten, and never above twelve. From that perspective, the cutaway is a waste of valuable real estate.

Looks cool, I guess.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:19 AM

Cutaways did not attrack me... until I began to climb the neck.
Twelve fretters with a cutaway now catch my eye.
But I still prefer non cutaways models.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion