The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-27-2020, 02:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Outstanding John! Going to be one purdy geetar. Love the shop plywood neck and tail blocks. And quite a beautiful set of Kia (I mean Koa - at first I thought maybe you had gone into the car business but I see someone fixed it for you). I think you are going to make Paul a little jealous on this one.
Thanks Dennis

Maybe Paul will get jealous. Maybe he will order his 5th guitar just to stay ahead
Old 01-27-2020, 02:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

All the lining opposite the players side where there are no bevels is laminated. I just prop my sides tightly into th he mold, cover the inside of the side with packing tape and using the sides as a mold glue up the layers.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

The other side of the guitar will have thicker deeper kerfed linings top and back. Here is a shot of two layers ganged up and a third partial
and tapered layer ready to glue to the area that needs to thicker.

Everything is glued in square and then shaped by hand after the glue has dried. Knife and sandpaper.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Outstanding John! Going to be one purdy geetar. Love the shop plywood neck and tail blocks. And quite a beautiful set of Kia (I mean Koa - at first I thought maybe you had gone into the car business but I see someone fixed it for you). I think you are going to make Paul a little jealous on this one.
So if Higuerilla is a tonewood from South America and koa is from Hawaii; maybe Hyundai and Kia are the new tonewoods from Asia!
Old 01-28-2020, 07:34 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
So if Higuerilla is a tonewood from South America and koa is from Hawaii; maybe Hyundai and Kia are the new tonewoods from Asia!
LOL
You know i don't think I typed Kia. I’m pretty sure i typed Koa and my phone changed it. On the other hand, the I and O are right next to each other and well.... I’d rather blame the phone.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Profiling the back

The top of the guitar is pretty flat and so will take the lining prior to being profiled since that operation does not remove much wood, but the back needs to be profiled first and then have the lining applied. So using this spinning disk not only Is the taper being sanded back to front, but in this case A manzer wedge is getting sanded in as well. The disk is a hemisphere so in addition to all that, the finished surface will have a hemispherical profile.

It’s hard to take pictures with one hand and hold this rim with the other onto a spinning disk but hey you guys deserve my best efforts.

Mission accomplished. Good fit.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Da back.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default And the top

Needs a little more cleanup but you can see the bracing pattern

Old 01-30-2020, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

Nice--Dos Equis bracing!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-30-2020, 01:20 PM
Charter Member

Smile Hmmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Thanks Dennis

Maybe Paul will get jealous. Maybe he will order his 5th guitar just to stay ahead
I am not sure what we could do to top the one coming any day now... but I wager John still has some cool innovative stuff up his sleeve!

But I am already way ahead, with FOUR of John's Customs. Steve will have two.

Anyone else with four?

I may have to sell one, and a couple KILLER 90s Taylors, too, as a roof is in the cards for this Spring. Wah!!!

Off to play the Brown Bomb for some Fat Slide Goodness...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-03-2020, 06:30 PM

Cool FINALLY!

Well I guess better late than never..........(indicates a long diatribe).
Anyway, after being advised by Pablo that there are pictures and info about my guitar on here, I figured out where here is and how to get here, no mean feat for one as tech challenged as me!
I am, as always, astounded by John’s incredible skill, craftsmanship and artistic sensibility.
For those of you who have not played one of his creations, well, uuuuhhhh, hmmmm, I just don’t know what to say!
Y’all probably know the depth and extent of Paul’s ever and ongoing guitar collection. Well he and I have played, ( A vs. B), against most all the known guitar brands, Martin, Taylor, Santa Cruz, Ryan,.....................
We also had the added benefit of the amazing Cindy, Paul’s beautiful life mate. Cindy has the most amazing ear for sound that I have ever experienced. Along with Paul, Cindy and my meager skills, we determined that some were close, but none surpassed John’s guitars for pure sound making. (Too many commas). Comma comma down doobee dooobe do down down writing stuff is hard tooooo do.
Beauty, ( more commas), playability, comfort, sound and value!
I am sure that in John’s genetic past, there is a Dryad in the family tree. He is the premier wood whisperer of our time. His guitars don’t whisper, but he whispers to them to make them all that they can be!
Meanwhile, (,) back to my guitar, it’s going to be the BOMB of all bombs! No cutaway for more sound. Rare and fabulous whispered woods. A huge, beautiful sound making machine.
Get ready Pablo, you won’t want to A vs B with me!
Many thanks John!
Anyway() I am really excited to get my hands on this one.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile Comma, comma...

"Comma comma down doobee dooobe do down down writing stuff is hard tooooo do."

Well put, Steve!!! Hahahaha

John reported today he did not want to ship the Big Gun off. Says it is quite something!!!

Interesting, as he has never sounded so confident before, and all his guitars are KILLERS

Glad you remembered how to work your "glowing wrecktangle". Hahaha

Come visit soon!

Happy Monday evening to all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-03-2020, 07:45 PM

Wow, nothing is being held back on this one!!!!! Congrats Steve
Old 02-03-2020, 08:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthand View Post
Well I guess better late than never..........(indicates a long diatribe).
Anyway, after being advised by Pablo that there are pictures and info about my guitar on here, I figured out where here is and how to get here, no mean feat for one as tech challenged as me!
I am, as always, astounded by John’s incredible skill, craftsmanship and artistic sensibility.
For those of you who have not played one of his creations, well, uuuuhhhh, hmmmm, I just don’t know what to say!
Y’all probably know the depth and extent of Paul’s ever and ongoing guitar collection. Well he and I have played, ( A vs. B), against most all the known guitar brands, Martin, Taylor, Santa Cruz, Ryan,.....................
We also had the added benefit of the amazing Cindy, Paul’s beautiful life mate. Cindy has the most amazing ear for sound that I have ever experienced. Along with Paul, Cindy and my meager skills, we determined that some were close, but none surpassed John’s guitars for pure sound making. (Too many commas). Comma comma down doobee dooobe do down down writing stuff is hard tooooo do.
Beauty, ( more commas), playability, comfort, sound and value!
I am sure that in John’s genetic past, there is a Dryad in the family tree. He is the premier wood whisperer of our time. His guitars don’t whisper, but he whispers to them to make them all that they can be!
Meanwhile, (,) back to my guitar, it’s going to be the BOMB of all bombs! No cutaway for more sound. Rare and fabulous whispered woods. A huge, beautiful sound making machine.
Get ready Pablo, you won’t want to A vs B with me!
Many thanks John!
Anyway() I am really excited to get my hands on this one.
I’m blushing.
Hopefully this guitar will live up to its billing
Old 02-03-2020, 08:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Prep work for the sliding mechanism that hold the nuts that the neck bolts attach too. I wanted something a little harder than Spanish cedar as a bearing surface so a strip of Brazilian rosewood should do it. This Chanel that I should have cut before the block was glued to the sides, will be the home for A sliding internal block.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop