The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-29-2020, 08:17 AM

Absolutely gorgeous design and flawless execution.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:11 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Love his cutaway design. He worked with Kathy Wingert some as well, correct?
Old 01-30-2020, 05:16 AM
Charter Member

Shaping up really nicely..
Old 01-30-2020, 07:40 AM

Thanks for the feedback Josh, Richard and Vaillant75.

Last edited by gitarro; 01-30-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Love his cutaway design. He worked with Kathy Wingert some as well, correct?
Isaac was Kathy wingert's apprentice and assistant for approximately a decade before accepting orders for his own guitars in addition to also being a repairman who worked on many different types of guitars, even while he was doing high school and university. No doubt he must have also spent much time experimenting on his own free time with designs and builds. Such long training on the job and dedication would have been the necessary price to pay to develop the skill that enabled him to emerge with a guitar design that doesnt look anything like his teacher's only a few years ago...
Old 01-30-2020, 08:03 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Wow, ten years! It shows.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Heres an article on isaac's background

https://www.premierguitar.com/articl...uilders?page=4
Old 02-01-2020, 07:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
Glad to hear that you are joining the Isaac Jang Owners' Group soon and you will not regret ordering through Marcus - he defines the term "Going above and beyond"! What wood combination will you be going for and are you aiming to get an OM or his new SJ model?
Don't mean to hijack your thread but since you asked...
I'm going for an OM with cocobolo b/s and a European spruce top, probably Italian but Isaac will make the final call. I play exclusively with bare fingers and wanted a modern sound so this is where we ended up after a lot of great dialogue.
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 02-03-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfarhadi View Post
Don't mean to hijack your thread but since you asked...
I'm going for an OM with cocobolo b/s and a European spruce top, probably Italian but Isaac will make the final call. I play exclusively with bare fingers and wanted a modern sound so this is where we ended up after a lot of great dialogue.
You cannot go wrong with going with isaac's advice for your playing needs! I play only fingerstyle as well with just finger pads and nails and similarly wanted a modern tonality, but I went with adirondack and brw as I noticed from the more recent clips on the net that Isaac seems to be hitting new heights tonally with his newer guitars that were made with adirondack spruce tops and particularly those which were combined with brazilian rosewood. My own experience with adirondack spruce is very positive when it is used by a luthier who knows how to take advantage of its great threshold for power and yet sensitivity - most of the best guitars that I have ever played were topped with adi...
Old 02-03-2020, 10:47 PM

Anyway here is another batch of photos - coming near to the end of the build now as the neck is being fashioned and attached to the guitar...

Old 02-03-2020, 10:49 PM

Old 02-03-2020, 10:50 PM

Here are the lovely frets having been installe donto the fretboard...

Old 02-04-2020, 07:57 AM

Total stunner. One of *the* most beautiful designs out there, for me maybe the nicest.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
I went with adirondack and brw as I noticed from the more recent clips on the net that Isaac seems to be hitting new heights tonally with his newer guitars that were made with adirondack spruce tops and particularly those which were combined with brazilian rosewood.
Absolutely agree with all of this, though personally the best guitars I've played have had a wider variety of tops.

In the case of Isaac, if I had chosen Braz, I too would have chosen Adi, because this seems to be his own preference.

I don't own any European topped guitars so I wanted to achieve that in this build. From speaking with Isaac, he prefers (like most builders I suppose) certain wood pairings... in the case of coco, a lower density Italian or Swiss.

Anyway, enjoy the heck out of yours! We are truly blessed to be stewards of such fine instruments.
2019 Froggy Bottom H12 (Adi/Bastogne)
2023 Isaac Jang OM (Italian/Coco)
2020 PRS SE Custom
Old 02-04-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

That cutaway and front cutaway bevel ... just exquisite design and execution!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop