The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Default into a Portable PA or Powered Speaker

Ok after the New releases Of Battery powered amps... I'm confused

What is better in terms of Tone... For Vocal and Acoustic guitar for remote gigs?

A battery-powered Acoustic amp
A battery-powered PA Speaker...Like Samson XP108 -208, Behringer MPA40-100
Or a battery-sine-wave inverter and PA Speaker like QSC CP8 or??

I think you need at least a 8in speaker for this application(vocal-guitar)
Old 01-20-2020, 08:19 AM

No 'one style' generalizations can be used. Every system has its own characteristics and sound. The Samson and a Bose will sound different - both with battery power and 8" speakers.
Battery or 110v power (or inverter) will not/should not affect the tone, only, possibly, the overall volume.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 01-20-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Ok after the New releases Of Battery powered amps... I'm confused

What is better in terms of Tone... For Vocal and Acoustic guitar for remote gigs?

A battery-powered Acoustic amp
A battery-powered PA Speaker...Like Samson XP108 -208, Behringer MPA40-100
Or a battery-sine-wave inverter and PA Speaker like QSC CP8 or??

I think you need at least a 8in speaker for this application(vocal-guitar)
With a battery/inverter system you have a lot more choices and for me the best choices will be K8.2, DXR or CP8; QSC is my favourite because of its quietness and overall quality.

For battery powered I’d go with Eon Compact, S1 Pro or Mini Chrage. They’re good for smaller venues.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:03 PM

You are largely wasting money buying up from modified to pure sine wave. After rectification, a necessary step in any power supply, they are both going to have a series of 1/n amplitude odd harmonics (just the math).

The modified sine wave will have 1/n harmonics as it leaves the inverter, and the pure will not, BUT that only matters if you're trying run a motor or have an old tube type transformerless black and white TV.

I'm sure there is newer stuff which needs a quiet power supply at the plug, but that is the exception and an example of poor design.

Since everything on Amazon is returnable at Kohl's with no boxing the risks of a bad choice are pretty nominal. I own this and it works GREAT with my CP8. It also has the advantage of the most robust Li Ion battery chemistry. You can run it so loud it will damage your hearing. Three sets and it still had a full charge according to its display.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-21-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
You are largely wasting money buying up from modified to pure sine wave. After rectification, a necessary step in any power supply, they are both going to have a series of 1/n amplitude odd harmonics (just the math).

The modified sine wave will have 1/n harmonics as it leaves the inverter, and the pure will not, BUT that only matters if your trying run a motor or have an old tube type transformerless black and white TV.

I'm sure there is newer stuff which needs a quiet power supply at the plug, but that is the exception and an example of poor design.

Since everything on Amazon is returnable at Kohl's with no boxing the risks of a bad choice are pretty nominal. I own this and it works GREAT with my CP8. It also has the advantage of the most robust Li Ion battery chemistry. You can run it so loud it will damage your hearing. Three sets and it still had a full charge according to its display.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thanks! I took home a CAT jump box with air, this weekend, it has USB charging ports and a AC plugin, So plugged in my Kustom PA 50 , plugged in a radio into aux plug and turned up to a single player gig volume in the garage and it played 6.5 hours and only went down one bar of 5
So I will be looking to buy the one you linked to me. Thanks again
Old 01-20-2020, 09:32 PM

Quote:

The modified sine wave will have 1/n harmonics as it leaves the inverter, and the pure will not, BUT that only matters if your trying run a motor or have an old tube type transformerless black and white TV.

Sorry, there is some false info above. First off, rectification is the process of converting an AC voltage to DC. An inverter does exactly the opposite, turning DC (usually from a battery) into AC.

An inverter typically uses semiconductors like SCR's (gated diodes) or transistors to produce a stepped DC voltage in a square wave. A square wave is equivalent to a sine wave with the even-order harmonics removed as suggested above. This is what you get with a Modified Sine Wave inverter - essentially a square wave inverter. It is easier to produce and thus is cheaper. Some electronics do not work well with a modified sine wave inverter. Problems can lead to excess heat, inefficiency or damage. Certain lighting fixtures and motors will also not work correctly due to the starters used.

A Pure Sine Wave inverter creates a pure sine wave (go figure) that is identical to the AC you get from a wall socket at home. There is no doubt that a pure sine wave inverter (of sufficient power) can power anything you can run at home, with no risk of damage. It is true that most amplifiers or powered speakers take whatever incoming AC voltage you feed it and immediately rectify it and divide it down in a DC power supply, so you're probably OK using a cheaper modified sine wave inverter.

Quote:
I've never used the device (BEAUDENS Portable Power Station) referenced above. The 166 Wh (166 watt-hours) rating is pretty low. Assuming the output is 120 VAC, that is 166 watts divided by 120 volts or 1.4 amps for one hour.

I use a Cotek SK200-112 Pure Sine Wave inverter rated at 200 W continuous duty with a 35 amp-hour lead acid deep cycle battery. It will power my Carvin AG300, which draws about 3 amps (AC) at a comfortable stage volume for about 7 hours.

My recommendation is do a little research, talk to knowledgeable people and get an inverter that meets your weight/power/capacity needs. Then you can power whatever you want with it and you'll have way more options. Here is some more info on the subject:

This one, go to post #48

Last edited by Mandobart; 01-20-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
...the device (BEAUDENS Portable Power Station) referenced above. The 166 Wh (166 watt-hours) rating is pretty low. Assuming the output is 120 VAC, that is 166 watts divided by 120 volts or 1.4 amps for one hour.
Just noted that the QSC CP8 is only rated "100 - 240 V ~ 0.75 - 0.31 A 50/60 Hz". So the BEAUDENS Portable Power Station should be plenty. How this translates to "1000 W" is a whole other subject.....

240 V x 0.31 A = 74.4 W

100 V x 0.75 A = 75 W
Old 01-21-2020, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Sorry, there is some false info above. First off, rectification is the process of converting an AC voltage to DC. An inverter does exactly the opposite, turning DC (usually from a battery) into AC.
Hi Mandobart,

Try reading my post slowly and see if you can understand my point.

1/n odd harmonics in a power source might be a problem for some poorly designed products.

All power electronics in the final product you are powering rectify the incoming power first. This generates a series of 1/n odd harmonics regardless of the incoming waveform AND that end product must be able to filter them out.

Paying to get rid of the 1/n odd harmonics at the inverter is a waste of money when you are not driving a motor.

Jon Fields
Old 01-21-2020, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Just noted that the QSC CP8 is only rated "100 - 240 V ~ 0.75 - 0.31 A 50/60 Hz". So the BEAUDENS Portable Power Station should be plenty. How this translates to "1000 W" is a whole other subject.....

240 V x 0.31 A = 74.4 W

100 V x 0.75 A = 75 W
Lately most powered speakers are rated for undistorted peak power. Subtract 10 dB (divide by 10) and that is likely the continuous power. 100 watts of continuous power is deafening and if you're not a DJ you will never get close.

But even 100 watts truly continuous is likely beyond the thermal design of most powered PA speakers (imagine a 100 watt incandescent bulb in a sealed plastic box with a tiny fan -- my sister had one 50 years ago and it was called an Easy Bake Oven).

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 01-21-2020 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:59 AM

Got a question....
Looking at the Headrush FRFR 108 rated at 2000w Peak
Spec's:

Output Power 2000 W (peak, 1300 LF + 700 HF)
1000 W (continuous RMS, 650 LF + 350 HF)
Drivers Low-Frequency 8.0” (203 mm) driver, 2.5” (65 mm) high-temperature
voice coil
High-Frequency 1.4” (35 mm) neodymium driver with precision
waveguide
Crossover Frequency 2.5 KHz
Maximum SPL 129 dB (peak), 126 dB (continuous) (dB-SPL @ 1 m)
Frequency Response 62 Hz – 20 kHz (+3 dB)
Frequency Range 52 Hz – 22 kHz (-10 dB)
Horn Coverage 90Ί horizontal x 60Ί vertical (nominal)
Equalization Contour switch with low- and high-frequency +3 dB boost
Connectors (2) XLR/TRS 1/4” (6.35 mm) combo inputs
(1) XLR link output
(1) IEC power cable input
Controls Power switch, (2) volume control knobs (1 per input), EQ contour switch,
ground-lift switch
Indicators Power LED (rear panel), clip limiter LED
Protection Electronic clip, thermal & transducer overdrive
Power Connection IEC
Input Voltage 100 V~, 110–120 V~, 220–240 V~; 50/60 Hz (switchable)
Fuse 100–120V T10AL AC250V
220–240V T5AL AC250V
Consumption 800 W
Enclosure Trapezoidal, injection-molded polypropylene enclosure with perforated
steel grille
Mounting Standard 36 mm pole socket
Dimensions
(height x width x depth)
17.1” x 10.1” x 9.6”
434 x 256 x 245 mm
Weight 20.2 lb.
9.2 kg

What size inverter and battery would work with this?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification