The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2020, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have 4 or 5 short stands that I made by cutting the main tube of standard tripod stands.
I did that so I could have a mic stand that would fit in a backpack while playing 3 nights a week in Japan and having to haul my guitar and sound system in two backpacks on the trains around Tokyo.
Cut the top and bottom tubes so that the stand with an extendable boom was just barely high enough to hold my mic at the right height.
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212
Old 01-28-2020, 09:45 AM

I have plenty of short stands with booms, but I'd love something that's full height but packs up small. I like to stand when performing.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
I have plenty of short stands with booms, but I'd love something that's full height but packs up small. I like to stand when performing.
Well this is that.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Well this is that.
I know. But I've heard of durability issues with these, so I'm hoping they're better now.

My comment was in reference to all the people cutting down stands to make them fold up smaller, which can work fine if you're seated, I suppose. Short stands are not the same as the Airturn stand though.

The most comparable stand that K&M makes is the 252, but it's 6" longer than the Airturn stand when folded. I have a lot more confidence in K&M, but 6" is 33% longer, which makes for a much larger case (and rules out a normal sized backpack).

https://www.amazon.com/Stands-M-252-.../dp/B004UHTXN4
Old 01-31-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Adams View Post
I know. But I've heard of durability issues with these, so I'm hoping they're better now.

My comment was in reference to all the people cutting down stands to make them fold up smaller, which can work fine if you're seated, I suppose.
I don't know about the other guy but I always stand while performing and my method worked perfectly for anyone wanting a rock solid stand with telescoping boom arm.
I packed that stand all around Japan in a normal sized backpack, alongside my powered Yamaha speaker and mixer.

My complaint with the AirTurn mic stand is wobbliness.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:02 AM

Four gigs in, and I like the goSTAND. It doesn't wobble if I don't extend each section to the max, which isn't necessary with the boom (I play standing in this band, and I'm 6'2"). I have a SM58 on the boom, and an iPad holder and iPad. I'll report back in a year or so (sooner if the thing falls apart before then).
Old 02-13-2020, 08:13 PM

I had a piece of 4" PVC cut to 17" length to store it in my backpack so it doesn't get damaged. I am pretty happy with mine but I don't sing so I only use it to hold my tablet. If definitely helps to not fully extend the sections.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
If you were closer by I'd let you borrow mine so you could check it out yourself, but in the meantime, I just ordered one of the Samson MK10 stands that ricdoug posted about.

My Ultimate Support stand is absolute perfection, but I'm hoping that for the gigs where weight matters, the Samson will help make life a little easier too.

Just ordered, on your recommendation.
Thoughts on the Samson MK10?
Old 02-23-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Thoughts on the Samson MK10?
The day it showed up I ordered two more. Also picked up my #1 stand, the old Ultimate Support instant-opening stand and it will go back into primary usage, but the Samson MK10 stands are very, very nice for the price and weight. Nice and sturdy and surprisingly light. Used it already at a gig two weeks ago.
I wouldn't want to see them getting tossed around or messed with by others, but I'm planning on using them when I need to go light and I wish I'd had one of these when I was carrying speakers and a stand with me to every gig in Japan.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nama Ensou View Post
The day it showed up I ordered two more. Also picked up my #1 stand, the old Ultimate Support instant-opening stand and it will go back into primary usage, but the Samson MK10 stands are very, very nice for the price and weight. Nice and sturdy and surprisingly light. Used it already at a gig two weeks ago.
I wouldn't want to see them getting tossed around or messed with by others, but I'm planning on using them when I need to go light and I wish I'd had one of these when I was carrying speakers and a stand with me to every gig in Japan.
I am wondering about this mic stand. The base cost listed on links in this thread does NOT include the boom needed to attach a mic while playing a guitar and singing?? Nor does the boom appear in any of the pictures of the stand?

Steve
Old 02-23-2020, 09:04 PM

Just some thoughts:

The AirTurn goSTAND has no boom, but a boom is available separately for a few $$ more.
The whole rig folds down to 18 inches and weighs 3.9 pounds, based on their website.

The Samson MK10 always has a boom. It weighs 4 pounds and folds down to 25 inches,
but perhaps it could be shortened some if needed.

You can buy just over 3 of the MK10s for the cost of 1 goSTAND & boom.

Hmmm. _Roger
Old 02-24-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post

Hmmm. _Roger
But none of the three would fit in my 20” rolling gig case, no matter how inexpensive they might be. Sometimes ya gotta pay to get what you need. Six gigs in, I’m happy. It won’t outlive my 20 year old K&M, but neither will I.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
I am wondering about this mic stand. The base cost listed on links in this thread does NOT include the boom needed to attach a mic while playing a guitar and singing?? Nor does the boom appear in any of the pictures of the stand?
Here's a pic I found of the Samson MK-10 and like Roger said, it always comes with a boom arm, not to mention a mic, cord and clip.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPease View Post
The AirTurn goSTAND has no boom, but a boom is available separately for a few $$ more.
The whole rig folds down to 18 inches and weighs 3.9 pounds, based on their website.

The Samson MK10 always has a boom. It weighs 4 pounds and folds down to 25 inches...

Having bought one of the AirTurn stands, it's only ideal for someone needing absolute compactness and also careful with their equipment. The Samson is much more robust, less fiddly, much less wobbly, far faster to setup, comes with the boom arm, way cheaper to buy, making the primary reason for the AirTurn to pretty much sum up as shorter traveling package.

I gave my AirTurn to a friend a few weeks back who liked the idea of its absolute shortness when packed but have yet to hear back how he likes it. I absolutely like the Samson MK-10 so far and the main concern I have will be the handy lever lock for the legs, which depending on the quality of plastic used could turn out to be a frustrating breakable component, or one of its nicest features. Only time will tell there, and since I'm pretty gentle on my equipment, may never be a problem.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

I’m really surprised at comments about having to be careful or how delicate the Airturn stand is - I’ve had a couple for some years now, with zero problem. The extending base legs are rather nice, as I’ve been able to compensate for ground that is slightly off-level. While I like saving money, I’m very happy with my Airturn stands - if they need replacement someday, I will try a Samson out, but I have a feeling that day is a ways off -

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification