The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-15-2020, 12:49 PM

Default Squier Bullet Telecaster . . . Golly

I was in Guitar Center yesterday to pick something up, and I saw some Telecasters out on the floor. I have a longtime Tele Jones. I was especially interested in the Classic Vibe mahogany Thinline. The vintage tint neck and the body finish made for a striking instrument.

The neck felt good, but the guitar didn't sound special or anything. I put it back and picked up the seafoam green Bullet next to it. It's a very nice-looking guitar. The body is a little thinner than a standard Tele, but that means it's also lighter. I plugged into the nothing-special "Champion" amp I had used and was kind of shocked at how much better it sounded than the Thinline. The bridge pickup was only decent, but the neck pickup sounded better than I am used to from MiM Teles and even better than the American-made '79 Tele that I owned back in the day. I didn't check (having used all my available time playing the Bullet) but I assume the Thinline had the pickup height set too low. I can't imagine there could be that much difference in output otherwise.

Another surprise: The neck felt great. No rough edges on the board or sharp fret ends. It was pretty tempting at the sub-$200 price they were asking. So I went home and did some research. As it turns out, they are selling the Lake Placid Blue version for $50 less. So I ordered it (LPB Is a great color, though not my favorite). We'll see how it turns out. Maybe the green one is the notorious "great" example we've all stumbled across. But I have the headroom for a gigbag and an upgrade to the jack and nut, at least.

Quite a pleasant surprise. I have some trouble determining any real quality difference between Standard/Affinity/Bullet guitars at this point. ANd the bullet said it includes Squier Standard Series pickups. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 01-15-2020, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuman View Post
I was in Guitar Center yesterday to pick something up, and I saw some Telecasters out on the floor. I have a longtime Tele Jones. I was especially interested in the Classic Vibe mahogany Thinline. The vintage tint neck and the body finish made for a striking instrument.

The neck felt good, but the guitar didn't sound special or anything. I put it back and picked up the seafoam green Bullet next to it. It's a very nice-looking guitar. The body is a little thinner than a standard Tele, but that means it's also lighter. I plugged into the nothing-special "Champion" amp I had used and was kind of shocked at how much better it sounded than the Thinline. The bridge pickup was only decent, but the neck pickup sounded better than I am used to from MiM Teles and even better than the American-made '79 Tele that I owned back in the day. I didn't check (having used all my available time playing the Bullet) but I assume the Thinline had the pickup height set too low. I can't imagine there could be that much difference in output otherwise.

Another surprise: The neck felt great. No rough edges on the board or sharp fret ends. It was pretty tempting at the sub-$200 price they were asking. So I went home and did some research. As it turns out, they are selling the Lake Placid Blue version for $50 less. So I ordered it (LPB Is a great color, though not my favorite). We'll see how it turns out. Maybe the green one is the notorious "great" example we've all stumbled across. But I have the headroom for a gigbag and an upgrade to the jack and nut, at least.

Quite a pleasant surprise. I have some trouble determining any real quality difference between Standard/Affinity/Bullet guitars at this point. ANd the bullet said it includes Squier Standard Series pickups. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Nice report - from your experience with the neck on that Seafoam Green Bullet you tried - I would have gone with that one, because I’ve felt too many rough edges/ fret ends on the Affinity and Bullet series across the line, although some work with a file can make these friendly to the hand - and if you like the neck and the fretwork is good - it’s a bargain deal for a guitar that probably would only require upgrading the wiring and internal components.
Old 01-15-2020, 02:09 PM

Hope to see some photos! Enjoy the new guitar!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:02 PM

I have two Squire Bullet Stratocasters in the same seafoam green that I've had for 3 years or so that were $109 each. I've had a 40th Anniv. Amer. Std. Stratocaster since new in 1994. The plan was to buy a cheap Strat and mod with a DiMarzio Area prewired pickguard. When the first arrived, I liked it so much (stock pickups and all) I wanted to keep it that way so ordered a second and did the DiMarzio pickguard. The Bullet Strats are also thinner than the Fender models and the pick ups on mine are a little thinner (did an A/B with the Fender) but have their own charm.

I've had great experience with the Bullet guitars. Most of my guitars are natural or sunburst, but the Seafoam Green is a fun color. No complaints about the fit, finish, or set up (tweaked a bit to suit me). I'm glad to hear others have had good experiences with these guitars also. Been thinking about the Bullet Teles - glad you like them.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:50 AM

thx- i was looking to pick up one of these, looking forward for more review after you receive it
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-13-2020, 08:07 AM

Put some alnico pickups on it, like some of the GFS pickups, you'll probably love the sound change. https://www.guitarfetish.com/Fits-Telereg_c_580.html
Pickups tend to be the weak point on the Squires.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2020, 08:08 AM

IME. the Bullet and Affinity's can sound quite good clean. Put an OD or Dist in front of them and they fall apart. Buzzy and mushy with no note definition.

I was gifted a used Affinity Strat for Christmas and replaced the pickguard with one loaded with Chinese Alnico 5's. Not really better clean, just different. Overdriven is a different story. Sound great.

Sometimes it's hard to tell how much difference there is between guitars through a budget SS amp.

You want to play something that will raise your eyebrows, play a Squier with Wide Range Humbuckers...........

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-13-2020, 08:11 AM

That's a great color!! The bullet strats and teles can be surprisingly good. From my experience checking them out in the store, the quality of them is really inconsistent. Hopefully the one you receive is as good as the one you put your hands on in the store.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:10 AM

any news on the guitar yet?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-17-2020, 09:29 AM

Maybe a little topic-adjacent, but I really enjoyed this interview where Fender Custom Shop master builder Ron Thorn plays a bunch of Squiers and comments on their build quality, playability, and how to assess them.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
Maybe a little topic-adjacent, but I really enjoyed this interview where Fender Custom Shop master builder Ron Thorn plays a bunch of Squiers and comments on their build quality, playability, and how to assess them.

Ron Thorn seems like a really cool guy - I can’t think of a better dream job/ occupation/ employment than what he’s doing. Also especially appreciated his reference to background in the 1980s when fast playability - slim neck carve, no shoulder or v or fat profile - was the goal for what the human hand (no matter the size) is capable of on a guitar neck, but also insuring there is a generous amount of fretboard width so that strings are not falling off the fretboard, aided by narrow string spacing at the saddles.

Thanks for sharing this.

Last edited by Jaden; 02-17-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:34 PM

I watched that video when it first came out. I subscribe to Phil McKnight's channel (he did this video). Great guy, and very knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post

Old 02-17-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I watched that video when it first came out. I subscribe to Phil McKnight's channel (he did this video). Great guy, and very knowledgeable.
Yes, agree - McKnight does an excellent job reviewing gear. I like that guy.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:25 PM

I ordered the Bullet LPB off MF @ $119 minus points I have saved up. Delivery date thurs the 20th. Very much looking forward Thursday
2014 Yamaha LS16
2020 Squier CV 50's Telecaster
2022 Yamaha FG3
Old 02-19-2020, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls82261 View Post
I ordered the Bullet LPB off MF @ $119 minus points I have saved up. Delivery date thurs the 20th. Very much looking forward Thursday
Seriously good deal - let us know how it goes with it. Telecasters by their very nature should be affordable according to the simple construction, with modern cnc the neck and fretwork can be spot on - the classic vibe teles are very smooth, the medium jumbo frets feel ‘softer’ more rounded than vintage 6230 fret wire, the fretboard isn’t rolled, but rolling entails a lot of extra dressing of fret ends - not a fan - the bullet will be similar to the cv with full fretboard width (good).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars