The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
This is another in the continuing series of posts of “I’m taking it to a luthier tomorrow, but wanted to ask here what needs to be done...”

If one is taking ones guitar in to have a professional examine it, getting opinions from those who can’t examine it is mostly a waste of everyone’s time. It happens with sufficient frequency as to make me want to think twice before providing any advice on topics of guitar repair or setup.

If you know before you start a post that you are going to take your guitar in to a professional for his or her assessment, don’t post to get preemptive guesses/diagnosis here.
Hi charles

Not sure it's a waste of time for people to ask even if the next item on their agenda is to take the guitar to a professional, for at least 2 reasons.
  1. When players who are not familiar with techs have to go to a tech (who some call a luthier despite the fact they have never built nor even done anything more technical than a basic setup) I think players want guidance as to what to ask for from the technician. Many players have gone to a tech and didn't realize they were not a good tech, thinking they are more like Doctors who are fully trained and have worked on thousands of 'patients'.
  2. Players feel like such novices that perhaps there is a simpler answer than paying top-dollar for services from a professional luthier or tech, people want to know if there's anything obvious they should-have-known.

But I'm sure you are concerned that the solid advice from pros like yourself gets mixed in with the lore that is tossed into these threads, and it probably feels like a waste of your time and expertise…which you have generously donated in this forum for YEARS. I, for one appreciate your contributions and know-how and generosity.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-16-2020, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Those are basically extra lights, and as such aren’t really the optimum strings for strumming. You should definitely try some beefier strings on the guitar if you’re strumming a lot.

whm
Hi Wade
…10-46 are X-light, and 11-52 are Custom Light.

They work fine for many players for strumming and picking. They are very popular among people who are aging, lack wrist strength, or grip strength, or who have hand/wrist injuries, or arthritis.

Players can moderate their strumming to accommodate any strings on instrument they are playing. If they have extenuating circumstances (or even if they just want lighter strings for better action) they may have to make adjustments other than putting on heavier strings.

So I don't share your opinion on this. I play .011 on one guitar, and .012 on the rest, and have friends in their 70s who play .010.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-16-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi charles

Not sure it's a waste of time for people to ask even if the next item on their agenda is to take the guitar to a professional, for at least 2 reasons.
  1. When players who are not familiar with techs have to go to a tech (who some call a luthier despite the fact they have never built nor even done anything more technical than a basic setup) I think players want guidance as to what to ask for from the technician. Many players have gone to a tech and didn't realize they were not a good tech, thinking they are more like Doctors who are fully trained and have worked on thousands of 'patients'.
  2. Players feel like such novices that perhaps there is a simpler answer than paying top-dollar for services from a professional luthier or tech, people want to know if there's anything obvious they should-have-known.

But I'm sure you are concerned that the solid advice from pros like yourself gets mixed in with the lore that is tossed into these threads, and it probably feels like a waste of your time and expertise…which you have generously donated in this forum for YEARS. I, for one appreciate your contributions and know-how and generosity.

OP here -- THANKS LJ - I couldn't agree more. Asking questions and having an inquisitive nature is the bedrock of learning, and I am one who seeks and appreciates various views and perspectives when problem solving and to educate myself generally. In this instance, the knowledge I gained from AGF member responses made for a great conversation with my tech when I took my guitar to him this afternoon. K&K Pure mini was installed, the problem (a slightly raised fret) was diagnosed and addressed, action was tweeked just a bit, I replaced 11's with 12's (subject to reversal if my carpal tunnel acts up), playing style was observed and discussed, and guitar sounds great! THANKS to everyone for their input! As always, AGF was affirmed as being a friendly, informative forum! Happy strumming my friends! Cheers!
Old 02-17-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
This is another in the continuing series of posts of “I’m taking it to a luthier tomorrow, but wanted to ask here what needs to be done...”

If one is taking ones guitar in to have a professional examine it, getting opinions from those who can’t examine it is mostly a waste of everyone’s time. It happens with sufficient frequency as to make me want to think twice before providing any advice on topics of guitar repair or setup.

If you know before you start a post that you are going to take your guitar in to a professional for his or her assessment, don’t post to get preemptive guesses/diagnosis here.
Interesting Diatribe.
I was under the impression that the AGF was open to all members in the quest for knowledge, information, and general conversation and observation, in a positive environment.
To this end the old sayings “ No question is a dumb question” and “If a person can’t say anything good, Don’t say anything” might apply.

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 02-17-2020 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage40s View Post
I did that last fall and Larrivee said they use Mediums on all their guitars.
----------

Subject: Re: Contact Form
Date: September 5, 2019 at 3:37:53 PM EDT
To: Allan …. <…… @twc.com>
Hi Allan,
Larrivée sets up all guitars with D’Addario EXP17 13-56’s. We have always used mediums on parlors specifically for maximum tone.
Thank you
Larrivée Service
Yes, The Parlors and 00 sized Larrivee guitars ship with D’Addario mediums. The larger sized bodies I have checked on came with lights although they were Canadian made.

From Larrivee:
“Hello Michael,
Your Vancouver built OM-03R was setup with D’Addario EXP-16 12-53’s. The California built 00 was set up with EXP-17 13-56’s. Either string gauge is fine. The 12’s offer a little more playability and the 13’s offer a little more tone.”

It appears as though the OP has a Canadian guitar that was set up with light gauge strings. Either way, If the strings were swapped out to lighter strings There would be less tension on the neck making the neck straighten out and the strings Would be closer to the frets causing the slapping.
With this in mind it might be as simple as a truss rod adjustment.

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion