The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-16-2020, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Early in the video he makes it pretty clear that he's not a huge fan of Lowden's regular line. Seems a lot like all the posts we see here about "I appreciate [brand name] is a well made guitar but I just couldn't bond with it."
He posted in comments how Dowina (for instance) is too competitive with Lowden for him to point customers to the much more expensive guitar in good conscience.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:18 PM

At one point in the video he mentioned that the back and sides are a laminate. I think his point is that he can't recommend a guitar at that price point that is a laminate and under performs acoustically - at least to his ear. Based on the videos I've seen, I would have to agree. I would like to play one in person to either confirm or disprove that impression.

There are some great small bodied guitars like the GS Mini or the Martin DJr that make for some stiff competition, at least here U.S.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 02-17-2020, 01:12 AM
Charter Member

The guy in the video is a dealer. It’s his business, and it’s his right to choose which builders’ guitars his business carries - no problem with that. He’s decided not to carry Lowden or Sheeran guitars going forward - that’s fine, no problem with that either.

I ‘get it’ that he’s personally not a lover of Lowden guitars - he’s entitled to his personal opinion just as we all are. What I do wonder about, though, is why he felt it necessary to publish a very negative video announcing that he wasn’t going to carry Lowden and Sheeran instruments, and comparing them unfavourably with other brands? It seems a very graceless and vindictive way to behave - he could have just quietly dropped those two lines from his inventory and carried on. Words like ‘throwing’, ‘teddy’ and ‘pram’ spring to mind. I’d very much like to have been a fly on the wall when he was having his conversations with George Lowden Guitar Co. Ltd.

I believe there’s a different agenda than the one he tries (unsuccessfully IMHO) to present in what seems to me to be a nasty, spiteful little video, and I seemed to get a very strong whiff of a perfume called ‘Vengeance’ as I watched it. But, exactly like SoCalSurf above, I’m speaking from a position of having no knowledge whatsoever!

So, back to that delicious popcorn. Carry on...

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 02-17-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The guy in the video is a dealer. It’s his business, and it’s his right to choose which builders’ guitars his business carries - no problem with that. He’s decided not to carry Lowden or Sheeran guitars going forward - that’s fine, no problem with that either.

I ‘get it’ that he’s personally not a lover of Lowden guitars - he’s entitled to his personal opinion just as we all are. What I do wonder about, though, is why he felt it necessary to publish a very negative video announcing that he wasn’t going to carry Lowden and Sheeran instruments, and comparing them unfavourably with other brands? It seems a very graceless and vindictive way to behave - he could have just quietly dropped those two lines from his inventory and carried on. Words like ‘throwing’, ‘teddy’ and ‘pram’ spring to mind. I’d very much like to have been a fly on the wall when he was having his conversations with George Lowden Guitar Co. Ltd.

I believe there’s a different agenda than the one he tries (unsuccessfully IMHO) to present in his nasty little video, and I seemed to get a very strong whiff of a perfume called ‘Vengeance’ as I watched it. But, exactly like SoCalSurf above, I’m speaking from a position of having no knowledge whatsoever!

So, back to that delicious popcorn. Carry on...

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.
Lowden is a big name among "serious" guitar buyers. Seems quite likely people ask the guy "Hey, why no Lowdens?' So he posts an answer.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:07 AM
Charter Member

I have tried the whole line almost and can say I was not blown away but there was nothing wrong either. The S02 I actually quite liked but for $1200 for a parlor-ish guitar I felt I could do better.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:13 AM

I've never tried a Sheeran by Lowden guitar but I wouldn't buy one simply because I don't care for Ed Sheeran. His music seems *cough* derivative and his persona insincere. There are plenty of other equivalent or better products available at similar and lower price points.

I love the sound of Lowden guitars and would certainly consider buying one if I could afford it but nothing with the name of Ed Sheeran on it.

Mark Twain
Old 02-17-2020, 04:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmruegg View Post
There are some great small bodied guitars like the GS Mini or the Martin DJr that make for some stiff competition, at least here U.S.
And those two guitars are half the price.

In they're price range they compete against the Martin Road Series, Yamaha L series, Gibson Studio, Taylor 1 & 2 series, Eastmans (which I wish I could find more to play), and others.

I've tried the larger Lowden's and they are glorious. I lost interest in the Sheeran when I tried the Lowden S model that it's based on and it was unimpressive. The Sheeran's that I see on the Music Zoo website are also not visually appealing. I'll probably get over there on Wednesday and see what I think of them live.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
What I do wonder about, though, is why he felt it necessary to publish a very negative video announcing that he wasn’t going to carry Lowden and Sheeran instruments, and comparing them unfavourably with other brands? It seems a very graceless and vindictive way to behave.
I think it is his usual MO. When I first started looking at guitar stuff on Youtube I came across a couple of his videos in which he was rubbishing Martin guitars. He is obviously entitled to his own opinion and free to stock what he likes in his shop but IMO his videos are counterproductive as they just portray him as a rather sad and bitter man. A bit creepy in truth. As such, I would never buy a guitar from his shop.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wattsy View Post
I think it is his usual MO. When I first started looking at guitar stuff on Youtube I came across a couple of his videos in which he was rubbishing Martin guitars. He is obviously entitled to his own opinion and free to stock what he likes in his shop but IMO his videos are counterproductive as they just portray him as a rather sad and bitter man. A bit creepy in truth. As such, I would never buy a guitar from his shop.
That’s two of us then, Wattsy!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
...and then there's this, the other side of the coin:
He certainly enjoys talking.....
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 02-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneh View Post
I have tried the whole line almost and can say I was not blown away but there was nothing wrong either. The S02 I actually quite liked but for $1200 for a parlor-ish guitar I felt I could do better.
Curious as to why you are calling the S02 a parlor-ish guitar. It's almost the same body measurements as my Easteman OM.

SO2:
Body length: 19
Lower Bout: 14 3/4
Body Depth: 4"

Eastman OM
Body length: 19 1/4"
Lower Bout: 15"
Body Depth: 4.25
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 02-17-2020, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy bookout View Post
He certainly enjoys talking.....
That's what I thought too!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Some folks like to hear their own voices
Old 02-17-2020, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Curious as to why you are calling the S02 a parlor-ish guitar. It's almost the same body measurements as my Easteman OM.

SO2:
Body length: 19
Lower Bout: 14 3/4
Body Depth: 4"

Eastman OM
Body length: 19 1/4"
Lower Bout: 15"
Body Depth: 4.25

Karen, do you know any place that stocks Eastman's? I would love to try them but all I've ever seen were 2 used ones at Alto in Middletown and one at Music Zoo on Long Island. If I could try a few of them, I might end up with one. But it seems like they are just too hard to find around here.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Jim,
Alto music used to have a lot of Eastman's, but as you've discovered, they don't anymore.

If you don't mind traveling, New Canaan music in CT has more than most:
https://www.newcanaanmusic.com/acoustic

Also in CT, www.acousticmusic.org
They have some.

What have you played and what are you interested in playing?
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion