The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 09:33 AM

Default Opinions on Breedlove Concertina

Newbie here. I currently have a Taylor AD27e that I love. I’m looking for something a little smaller that I can travel in an RV with. Unfortunately there are no stores near me to try a bunch of different guitars.

My local shop only has a limited selection of Taylor’s. I tried the GS mini and didn’t care for the scale length. I liked the Big Baby but can’t get past the screwed on neck. I really like the GT Urban but it is a bit too pricey.

Been considering the Martin DJr-10 but I am really interested in the Breedlove Artista Concertina Natural Shadow CE. I’m having trouble finding any reviews though. Does the Breedlove compare to the Martin or Taylor in this price range ($500 to $1000)? I would really appreciate any input from you guys.

Last edited by Jimmy4570; 02-24-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

I haven't played an Artista, but I have a Premier Concertina. And I've had several Taylors (including a GS Mini and a BBT). I really like the Concertina body size. That, plus being 12-fret makes it very comfortable. Mine has a very nice bass presence and is responsive. Perhaps not as bright as, say, the BBT.

I bought the GS Mini with the intention of it being a travel guitar, mostly for road trips, but possibly by air (that was pre-Covid). Even though it's small - smaller than the Concertina, I found it a little too big as a travel guitar. If you're looking at something mainly for travel, have you considered other options - like Journey, Voyage Air, or (my personal favorite) the Furch Little Jane?
Old 02-24-2021, 11:05 AM

Thank you for the quick reply. On paper, the Breedlove Concertina body is similar in size to the GS Mini. Is this not the case?

In regards to your other suggestions, which I do appreciate, I don’t necessarily feel the need for something mor compact during travel. I want something with a more compact body so it is easier to play within the confines of the RV...if that makes sense.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:19 AM

I have played a few in GC. I almost bought a Discovery Concertina for just that purpose. Besides having a good sound, it was the right size and if something happened to it I wouldn't cry as hard. It is on sale (MF) occasionally so it was a good deal.

I ended up getting a Martin 000X1E for $370 including hard case, so I went with it instead. I could get a Concertina next time just as easily.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:43 AM

That’s a great price on the Martin! The 000-2XE is on my short list as well. I think I slightly prefer the looks of the Breedlove and for a slight increase in price I can get solid wood instead of HPL. I’m not sure how the electronics compare but I don’t really see me using them anyway.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy4570 View Post
Thank you for the quick reply. On paper, the Breedlove Concertina body is similar in size to the GS Mini. Is this not the case?

In regards to your other suggestions, which I do appreciate, I don’t necessarily feel the need for something mor compact during travel. I want something with a more compact body so it is easier to play within the confines of the RV...if that makes sense.
I don't have the GSM anymore, but the specs I have say that, compared to the Concertina, the GSM is shorter by 1.4" in overall length, 1.5" in body length and 0.6" at the lower bout. That I'm sure is partly why the GSM sounded small to me. The Concertina has a much fuller, richer sound. Also, the bridge on the Concertina is positioned further back from the sound hole, in a more central location (as is the case for many 12-fret guitars). So that may help with the sound as well. Anyway, the Concertina is not a large guitar by any means. It sounds like it would be a good fit.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy4570 View Post
I liked the Big Baby but can’t get past the screwed on neck.
Welcome to the forum.

I had that same hesitancy when I auditioned a BBT, but I bought it anyway to use as my sailboat guitar. It has some huge advantages, including the unbraced, arched back that is incredibly strong. And light. It is ultimately playable, and stands up extraordinarily well to humidity.

I no longer notice the bolt-on neck. It's something most people get used to fast.
Old 02-24-2021, 02:46 PM

We purchased a Breedlove import Pursuit Concertina with cedar top and laminate back/sides for my child. As KevinH notes, the 12 fret body really results in a surprisingly full sound with a decent output even for cedar in this case. The Concertina body size is very manageable but keeps you in the feel of a bigger guitar and keeping a larger scale. My child is able to play it just about everywhere in our home. The aesthetics and finishing on our model is excellent, and it came with a low action. It is simply a beautiful guitar with excellent playability.

We picked it after auditioning several of the logical candidates for this size guitar in the same setting. All were nice, but the Concertina just had that extra "something". I played the mahogany back/sides Organic Signature series in my recent auditioning, and it showed a lot of promise. It came off on initial playing as very pleasing with a family resemblance to the Breedlove USA models. I would think a Concertina from one of these new Organic series could make a very nice instrument if you get a representative sample. Good luck!

Best,

Mac
Old 02-24-2021, 03:03 PM

Thank you all for your help. I decided to give the Breedlove a try. Sweetwater has them on sale so I took advantage of that. Can’t wait!
Old 02-24-2021, 08:19 PM

I think you will like it. I have the Wildwood Concertina in the organic series and for a smaller body Guiter it has a huge sound. Am very pleased with mine.

Chris

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion