The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2021, 07:11 AM

Default My new guitar sounds very tinny - is it just how it goes?

Recently I managed to buy a guitar that I've looked for for months as I fell in love with the design, namely the Luna Moonflower Custom Trans Mallard. I also liked its mellow tone when listening to it online. Thing is, after it arrived yesterday, I was quite shocked to find that it seems to sound way, way worse than my Takamine GD-20NS which I've been using so far (and which is a third of the Luna's price). At first, I thought that the strings may be at fault since who knows how long has passed since they were put on - so I changed them to a new D'Addario Phosphor Bronze set but sadly, this did not change much (if anything). The setup looks OK action-wise, it's great to play as far as playability goes but as for the tone, to my ear it sounds like I was playing on a tin can and certainly not on an almost $1000 instrument. There's no depth to the sound, no warm tone, feels like what I would imagine a $150 guitar to play. However, as I'm not really experienced, I wonder if maybe my ears are at fault here as I did not have the chance to try too many guitars in my life so far - so I reckoned I'd ask the more experienced guitarists here as to what do you think.

So here are a few samples played on both the Luna and the Taka -three short song snippets, one of just strumming open chords. Does the sound of the Luna strike you as so much inferior to the Taka as it does to me or do I just need my ears to adjust for a couple days?
Old 02-23-2021, 07:49 AM

From an online search the tone woods used couldn't be more different - maple/maple for the Luna, cedar/mahogany for the Tak. If you research different tonewoods, you'll find yours are more or less what you'd expect from those combinations.

From those clips, I personally like the sound of the Luna much more than the Tak, but you're right, there's no taming the metallic punch of a maple guitar. Maybe play it, and just it, for awhile, and see if your ear gets used to it?
Old 02-23-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
From an online search the tone woods used couldn't be more different - maple/maple for the Luna, cedar/mahogany for the Tak. If you research different tonewoods, you'll find yours are more or less what you'd expect from those combinations.

From those clips, I personally like the sound of the Luna much more than the Tak, but you're right, there's no taming the metallic punch of a maple guitar. Maybe play it, and just it, for awhile, and see if your ear gets used to it?
I, too, like the Luna (maybe not *much* more, but still). And agree about maple as a tonewood. Back before Taylor redesigned and mellowed a maple line of guitars I went to a Roadshow where they described maple guitars as the ones you would get to punch through an ensemble and be heard. Maybe it will grow on you, maybe check out some other types of string (drift through this thread https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=599755 or search mellow strings on the carbon fiber thread). Also, as strings age and mellow out you may be happier.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 AM

When guitars break in they tend to open up the bass a bit more but it sounds like you are going to have a long lasting bad first impression and you should probably just return it and try something else. I know it's difficult for some who don't live near music stores and there are far less of them around but obviously that's the best way to buy a guitar. Online videos are not that great at representing the true tone of a guitar as you now know.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Send it back. You shouldn't be playing a guitar that sounds bad to you. This happens to people who buy guitars online without trying them live. You really can't tell anything from online videos.

It's just my opinion but Luna guitars seem like they are made to be looked at first and listened to second. For the price of that one you can get a really good sounding guitar from any of the major guitar companies.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:00 AM

If you can send it back I would - today. My ear agrees with your ear. buying ear unheard is a gamble, and sometimes when you gamble you lose.

My suggestion would be to play your Tak until such time as you can safely visit a music store and play a few instruments. Used instruments in that price range can be quite lovely.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 02-23-2021, 09:07 AM

Yes. Send it back. New purchases should make you smile.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-23-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

I've had a few guitars that really needed to open up. Most recently a Santa Cruz that I thought about returning, but am now glad I didn't as it's opening up nicely already after only about a month of playing. The thing is that I have played several D/PW's that I loved, so I was pretty confident that this one would end up sounding good.

Maple is a bright and metallic tonewood though. If you don't like it in this case I'd probably return it, unless you have actually played this model before and loved it.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 02-23-2021, 10:06 AM

It can be "how it goes" when you base a purchase on a sound sample.

The absolute worst guitar I ever bought, and would be in the running for the worst I've ever played, was the best recorded guitar I've ever heard to this day. It was a total sham.

Get rid of that dog and be happy with another.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-23-2021, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Send it back. You shouldn't be playing a guitar that sounds bad to you. This happens to people who buy guitars online without trying them live. You really can't tell anything from online videos.

It's just my opinion but Luna guitars seem like they are made to be looked at first and listened to second. For the price of that one you can get a really good sounding guitar from any of the major guitar companies.
+1 on this. There are several brands that focus on aesthetics rather than tone. From what I understand, SOME of them actually sound goor too - but usually not. Send it back if you can........

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-23-2021, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I'd agree with the sentiment that if the guitar doesn't make you want to play it then maybe it's best to return it since you'll have a bit of buyers remorse constantly with it.

However, you may want to value the difference in sound between the two guitars as well. Last week I purchased a new Furch guitar and though it sounds very bright and almost harsh next to my old Larrivee, I like the fact that they have very different and unique sounds for different types of music and playing style. I would have been sad if I spent a lot of money on a guitar that ended up sounding the exact same as the one I already have.

You also might have to recognize that your ear is very much used to and comfortable with the sound of your Tak so moving to something new will also be a bit unusual sounding at first.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigro View Post
Recently I managed to buy a guitar that I've looked for for months as I fell in love with the design, namely the Luna Moonflower Custom Trans Mallard. I also liked its mellow tone when listening to it online. Thing is, after it arrived yesterday, I was quite shocked to find that it seems to sound way, way worse than my Takamine GD-20NS which I've been using so far (and which is a third of the Luna's price). At first, I thought that the strings may be at fault since who knows how long has passed since they were put on - so I changed them to a new D'Addario Phosphor Bronze set but sadly, this did not change much (if anything). The setup looks OK action-wise, it's great to play as far as playability goes but as for the tone, to my ear it sounds like I was playing on a tin can and certainly not on an almost $1000 instrument. There's no depth to the sound, no warm tone, feels like what I would imagine a $150 guitar to play. However, as I'm not really experienced, I wonder if maybe my ears are at fault here as I did not have the chance to try too many guitars in my life so far - so I reckoned I'd ask the more experienced guitarists here as to what do you think.

So here are a few samples played on both the Luna and the Taka -three short song snippets, one of just strumming open chords. Does the sound of the Luna strike you as so much inferior to the Taka as it does to me or do I just need my ears to adjust for a couple days?
Its true that in time the tone will mature a touch. In the meantime try some DR-Rare strings. They are not overly metalic. They are warm and dark. Very gentle up top.
Old 02-23-2021, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I whole heartily agree. If you don't like the sound of the Luna it should go back. I have one guitar that I do not care for the sound of but I play it because it was a gift from my wife. If I was buying it, it would have never left the shop.

We used to have a shop in town that lost their lease and closed shop. They were a Luna dealer. I must admit, they had some beautiful guitars. But the only way I would purchase one would be for art.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 02-23-2021, 10:55 AM

Based on your recordings my suggestion would be to send the Luna back if you're able to do so. If you're looking for a mellow tone, the Luna doesn't hit that mark. I generally prefer a mellow tone myself, and thought your Tak sounded much better than the Luna in all of the recording samples you provided.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-23-2021, 02:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatfinger McGee View Post
Agreed 100%. Maple flat-top guitars have a tone that is much more thin sounding than spruce/cedar/mahogany. Most of the ones I've played, for example the Gibson Starburst, (a very similar style and build) are designed to be played amplified. The maple top is not as resonant, and works much better with piezo pickups, at reducing feedback on stage. But played unamplified and I think they sound horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdA7mG4dsWs

Yuck

1918 Gibson L-1
1928 Gibson L-4 (Blond w/Ebony Fret-board)
1930's Kalamazoo KG-32
1930's Gretsch F-50
1934 Gibson L-7
1934 Gibson L-50 (KG-11/14 Body Shape)
1935 Gibson L-50 (Flat-back)
1935 Gibson L-30 (Flat-back)
1942 Gibson L-50 (WWII Banner Head)
1948 Gibson L-50
1949 Epiphone Blackstone

"a sharp mind cuts cleaner than a sharp tool"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion