The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-15-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

I started playing in 1960 before there were 'guitar techs' to do everything for you. I opened a full line music store in 1975 and was a service center for about every major brand and repaired for some internationally know touring musicians when they were in the area. I also started building instruments about that time including banjos, dulcimers and later arch top jazz guitars. I sold the store in the 80's but continue building (mostly Telecasters) to this day. Getting ready to start an all 'hog' 00 acoustic in the near future.
In the day, we didn't have all the fancy tools and parts that Stew Mac sells and about the only repair book was the one Martin put out to it's service centers. I think that everyone who plays should know how to do basic setups on their guitars (it's not rocket surgery!) and, if nothing else, at least learn to install your own strings. Nowadays it seems 'cool' and feeds the ego to say you have your own personal 'luthier', I guess.
Old 02-15-2021, 02:20 PM

I played in the early 90's and let life get in the way and stopped playing. I recently retired and found guitar again. I knew nothing about guitars when I joined. I don't know a lot, but anything I do know, is from the great people on AGF. They welcomed me, and put up with me, and they never even heard me play. That is saying a lot. There is soo much more to learn.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:15 AM

This forum has been great for me. I learned the differences in wood combinations and I found out about carbon fiber guitars! I continue to learn something new here every day.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:48 AM

Good question JHay. I knew nothing when I started playing... learned most everything about guitars from AGF and Delcamp, both of which sent me down a whole bunch of other rabbit holes. I am greatful to AGF and the community at large.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Not much about guitars. I could play some chords and strum songs, but I knew very little about the guitars themselves. I have learned a whole bunch here, and some of what I've learned is actually usefull. The rest is handy to know on trivia night at the bar.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 02-16-2021, 12:53 PM

I played electric guitar for a couple of years. I decided I needed a decent acoustic so I went down to my local store and came away with a great sounding dred. It sounded so good I figured I was done. I started learning finger style and in the meantime I joined AGF. Now after learning about all the different choices out there I keep looking for the next one. Like others said I didn't know how much I didn't know.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:55 PM

I knew almost nothing. I’m still trying to figure it out. But, since joining here, I’m at least heading in the right direction as far as finding what works for me and what doesn’t. Now I sort of know what to look for in a guitar. I only wish I found this place before I went and bought six guitars.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

No matter how much you think you know, there's always something to learn.

But pre-AGF, I've played acoustics most my life and was an apprentice at a luthier's shop for a couple years in the 1970s, I had a fair knowledge.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:58 PM

I was subscriber to printed guitar magazines for years and well informed about the basics, also had friends who built guitars and professional musicians. So I think my theoretical knowledge vastly exceeds my playing skill. The forum still brings awareness about more exotic topics and updates about current trends. Though sometimes it is a challenge to separate useful information from opinions and myths.
Old 02-16-2021, 01:32 PM

I joined AGF to find out if it was reasonable for an American to buy an Irish guitar. Still don't know the answer.

I think I've learned about 70% of what I know about guitars from this forum. In terms of my resulting financial state, I'm not sure I had to learn all of it.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:12 PM

I've learned that even the simplest, most honest question can result with great debate.
Old 02-16-2021, 03:36 PM

i felt i was knowledgeable in all facets...much more so now however
1990 Alvarez DY-50
2019 McPherson Sable
Godin A6 Ultra
lots of electrics and amps!
Old 02-18-2021, 09:11 AM

I started playing long before the internet, and got a lot of gear insight going to music stores and experiencing guitars hands on. I learned to trust my ears.

Since the internet, and sites like this, the most impactful thing I've learned are that my bank account grows, and my playing improves the less time I spend here.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:19 AM

Well, I did know quite much about brands, models, tonewoods and setup.

Anyway, I come here everyday and still find valuable informations from other members.

I found my comfort zone concerning acoustic guitar specs.

I am now looking for sounds and I am particularly interested in posts where
one would talk about his own comparison of guitars or strings.

And I discover new guitar brands and models too.
Old 02-18-2021, 09:23 AM

I knew about the same before and after AGF
Accept for how many gassers and collectors actually
Exist out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion