The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2021, 05:37 PM

Default A couple of X20s and an X10 popped up on Reverb recently

I don't know the sellers nor have an interest in the outcome, but if anyone is in a hurry for an Emerald, maybe check'em out. If posting these is against the rules, please let me know.

https://reverb.com/item/38722550-eme...d-carbon-fiber

https://reverb.com/item/38719246-car...18-wood-veneer

https://reverb.com/item/38505264-eme...tisan-acoustic
Old 02-08-2021, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Thanks!

Price on the first X20 seems decidedly optimistic to me.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-08-2021, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Thanks!

Price on the first X20 seems decidedly optimistic to me.
Does that mean too high?
Old 02-08-2021, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Does that mean too high?
Of course. A brand-new X20 with the same spec lists for $2250, before shipping.

Plus it's the older model, before the recent mods.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-08-2021, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Of course. A brand-new X20 with the same spec lists for $2250, before shipping. Plus it's the older model, before the recent mods.
So this used X20 price is only $50 less than a new order with VTC pickup and Hiscox case, once shipping is included. That is a bit optimistic. I wish that I could get that kind of price on used CF guitars that I might have up for sale. The typical is more like 75% of new price, if you can get it.

As for the new version versus old X20, I could go either way on that - and I have both. I like the end scallop of the new fingerboard, as that does not interfere with my strumming stroke like the square 24-fret did. But the matte texture is harder to keep clean of fingerprints and has noticeably more friction when moving up and down the neck. It is subtle but noticeable to me as my fingers start to press down while still moving between positions. Given a choice, the old glossy fret board surface is a bit slicker.

I'm agnostic on the pinless bridge. It is OK but I've never minded bridge pins. I've found that I need a single bridge pin anyway (or a golf tee) to keep the ball end in place when restringing. That almost requires putting on one string at a time and bringing each up to tension. With pinned bridges, I set all six strings and pins at once and then tension each string in sequence. Not a big deal, but different.
Old 02-08-2021, 07:59 PM

I've been looking for a smoking deal on an X20 for 2 years. The one on here that did pop up was snagged so fast I had no idea it was even listed (It was an amber artisan, older style and I forget who listed it). I think that guitar was around $1495 w/shipping and fees included. To me that is more reasonable. FWIW I also look at used RainSongs all the time on Reverb and they are typically more reasonably priced knocking several hundred dollars off of what one would go for new. Sorry but I don't get the exorbitant asking price for used Emeralds maybe except for the truth that you don't have to wait.

They are just used guitars and cannot be that good.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
It might be worth it to someone who is impatient and does not want to wait 4-5 months. If you gotta have it RIGHT NOW, that comes at a premium. Not me though.....
Old 02-08-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Sorry but I don't get the exorbitant asking price for used Emeralds maybe except for the truth that you don't have to wait.

I have a saved search on Reverb under "my feed" and I added "carbon fiber" as a key word. But I don't think Reverb can be configured to send an email notification of a new listing by keyword; maybe it does. I've seen one or two Emerald "deals" pop up over the last 6 months and sell in a week or less. One was a 2019 X7 standard range that went for about $1,300 delivered and I just bought a green 2018 X10 standard range in excellent condition, soft case, no humbucker, for $1,450 delivered. When I say standard range, that's with no upgrades, including veneer.

Covid pushed up the used market for sure. But I think the Emerald pricing strategy is more about what someone would pay to avoid the wait. With covid disrupting Alistair's labor and material resources, there is no way to know how long an order today might take. I'm thinking 6-10 months, but that's a total guess.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
It might be worth it to someone who is impatient and does not want to wait 4-5 months. If you gotta have it RIGHT NOW, that comes at a premium. Not me though.....
I agree. People may pay premiums for expediency and certainty.

I'm planning to order a custom soon and will post my proposed specs for comments. I'm basically gonna stick an X10 neck onto an X7 body at 12 frets clear and 24" scale.

I read some posts from folks who waited during 2020. Based on what others said, I'm guessing 6-10 months if I order today. If Emerald offered a 25 day delivery for a 15% premium (around $550), I'd pay that. If I could get an "off-the-rack" carbon guitar that suits my wants elsewhere, I'd buy it. But ultimately, Emerald's offer to customize is somewhat unique in the market, so we'll get in the que and see what random outcome occurs. Not Alistair's fault they are delayed. Who knows what his supply chains will look like.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
I have a saved search on Reverb under "my feed" and I added "carbon fiber" as a key word. But I don't think Reverb can be configured to send an email notification of a new listing by keyword; maybe it does. I've seen one or two Emerald "deals" pop up over the last 6 months and sell in a week or less. One was a 2019 X7 standard range that went for about $1,300 delivered and I just bought a green 2018 X10 standard range in excellent condition, soft case, no humbucker, for $1,450 delivered. When I say standard range, that's with no upgrades, including veneer.

Covid pushed up the used market for sure. But I think the Emerald pricing strategy is more about what someone would pay to avoid the wait. With covid disrupting Alistair's labor and material resources, there is no way to know how long an order today might take. I'm thinking 6-10 months, but that's a total guess.
Reverb does send notifications but it is very picky about the key words you put into "Customize My Feed". For example, in my searches I'll put in "Emerald X20", "emerald x 20", "emerald x20" because if I leave out any variation I may not see a guitar that was posted. You can also fine tune notifications to "free shipping", or sellers in the Continental US only. In short I've tried all these variations but I've yet to see a real deal other than an X7 amber that was on here a few months ago. Otherwise the costs often times exactly what you would pay to order one new, and that even for older models! To them I say "gullible isn't even a word". I've even seen guitars marked "Brand New". How can that be possible from a direct sales company that doesn't reside in the U.S.? I suspect many sellers take advantage of the uninformed public.....but not this guy I'm well trained from you guys around here.
Old 02-09-2021, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Reverb does send notifications but it is very picky about the key words you put into "Customize My Feed". For example, in my searches I'll put in "Emerald X20", "emerald x 20", "emerald x20" because if I leave out any variation I may not see a guitar that was posted. You can also fine tune notifications to "free shipping", or sellers in the Continental US only. In short I've tried all these variations but I've yet to see a real deal other than an X7 amber that was on here a few months ago.
Good info. Thanks.

Yea, on that amber, if it's the one you're referring to, I was negotiating (made 1st offer through messaging) with the fellow with the amber pictured leaning on the wood fence. He used sandpaper on the neck, rather amateurishly at that, but a great deal for a recent model X7.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber