The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-08-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
I asked specifically about the return policy on my "plain jane" X-20, but with a Baggs anthem. I was told 10 days of receipt.
Hello. How is that 10 day period defined? When does it start and stop? Seems like it should be from customer receipt to the day the returning customer posts it back to Emerald.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
Hello. How is that 10 day period defined? When does it start and stop? Seems like it should be from customer receipt to the day the returning customer posts it back to Emerald.
From the Emerald website - seems pretty clear:

5. Returns Policy

The Returns and Exchange Policy described below only applies to our standard Opus and Artisan models. The policy does not cover instruments which have received any Custom Shop modifications as well as any Select Series models.

Refunds and Exchanges

We are happy to offer a refund if the instrument is unsuitable within 10 days of receipt of your order. The instrument must be in as new condition and original packaging.

Following inspection an email shall be sent confirming receipt and you will be refunded the full amount due through the original method of payment.

The cost of return shipping is covered by the customer. Before returning any instrument, please contact us on [email protected] and await our response with a 'Returned Goods' shipping label.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-10-2021, 02:17 PM

How about this possibility.

They had some stock guitars and due to high demand (because they are incredible) they're gone, and now, new orders (custom) are all they can produce.

I'd certainly fill existing orders before producing open stock.

I don't pretend to know anything about their company except that the X30 that I lucked up on is sensational.

I think that has placed an extremely high demand on the company.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 02-10-2021, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

They had some stock guitars and due to high demand (because they are incredible) they're gone, and now, new orders (custom) are all they can produce.

I don't pretend to know anything about their company except that the X30 that I lucked up on is sensational.

I believe that's exactly the case.
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-10-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post

Sounds about right to me.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

As of this morning, there are now 21 instruments listed as ‘in stock’.

They’ve been busy
Cordoba Stage

Old 02-11-2021, 10:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
As of this morning, there are now 21 instruments listed as ‘in stock’.

They’ve been busy
Wow! More fine looking guitars!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Wow! More fine looking guitars!
For X10 lovers, it's interesting that the current offerings (total of 3) consist of 2 @ 22 frets and 1 @ 24 frets. Did the spec change? The website's typical artisan X10 shows 24 frets in the photograph, 24 in the written description and 22 in the specs.

I emailed Kevin, because I'm considering the X10 vs the X7 for a custom.
Old 02-11-2021, 01:04 PM
Guest 928

I just took a look at the stock. There's something for everyone. The only Emerald instrument models that are not in the lineup are the Uke and guitar harps (which probably have a very small market).

I think those lower priced X30s are a really good deal.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I just took a look at the stock. There's something for everyone. The only Emerald instrument models that are not in the lineup are the Uke and guitar harps (which probably have a very small market).

I think those lower priced X30s are a really good deal.
Agreed. Having the Artisan models in the stock lineup makes a lot of sense.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 02-11-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:11 AM

I agree that it is a good practice to have at least a few stock models on hand for the impatient customer. No point in missing out on the impulse buyer....

For the Emerald newbies, "Artisan" refers to the old style of labeling models. They had the deluxe Artisan (gloss, hard case) and the stripper version Opus (textured back and sides, gig bag) for each model. But 95% of their orders were Artisans, often with some customization, so the Opus versions went by the wayside a couple of years ago. These days, we usually just refer to them here as "stock models", rather than Artisan. I guess they still call them Artisans.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:51 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Fwiw, also for Emerald newbies...

To add more clarity to Artisan vs. Opus, the base guitar is exactly the same one-piece CF construction with stainless steel frets. Apart from the tuners on the Opus being a slightly lesser model (but still high quality Gotoh) than the Artisan’s Gotoh 510, everything else was purely cosmetic...

- the Artisan offered various colors while the Opus were all black CF (there was a period when the Opus was offered in colors);
- the Artisan was all gloss while the Opus had what Emerald referred to as “Crystal Ice” textured finish (a very nice finish, not lesser than the all-gloss, just different) applied on the back and sides and front and back of headstock. I’ve owned both...no difference in tone;
- the Artisan came with electronics while the Opus did not, though it could be ordered with it;
- The Artisan comes with an Emerald-branded Hiscox hardshell case, while the Opus came with the Emerald branded gigbag.

So, the same base guitar with appointment adjustments. I own an ‘08 CA Cargo and really like the “road tough” finish applied to the entire guitar. In 2018, I ordered an X20 after having owned other custom all-gloss Artisan models and wanted the crystal ice finish (but gloss on the front of the headstock so looking from the front it’s an Artisan), I wanted a “vertical” CF weave like that done for the June 2017 “Select Series”, no electronics and the Hiscox hardshell case. For these adjustments, although Emerald labelled it as a “Custom Shop Opus”, it is an Artisan/Opus hybrid.

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-12-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for defining the differences, Tom....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-12-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Well, as long as we're explaining things for the newbies: my previous generation X7 was an Opus, with the B-Band pickup added. Glossy top, Crushed Ice back and sides. Emerald branded gig bag. I was very impressed with all of it.

My second Emerald was a Custom from their second Select Series offering, all gloss, with a lauro preto veneer. Hiscox hard case and an Emerald Branded gig bag. This guitar is spectacular.

When it came time to order another Emerald (this time not from stock), I decided to go with the X10 with a red tint to the carbon fiber weave. I requested the Crushed Ice back and sides (no longer a standard offering), glossy top, and a custom neck with a 24.6" scale (standard on the X10 is 25.5"). Level 2 pickups, with the individual bridge piezos and the Krivo humbucker on the top. I opted for the Emerald branded gig bag instead of the Hiscox case. That suits the way I travel, but I have to say the Hiscox case is my favorite of all my hard shell cases. I had to wait 4 1/2 months for that guitar.

The reason for this walk down my Emerald memory lane: they are the only carbon fiber guitar maker to offer this level of customization. Each of these guitars fits a use for me (fit is an optimal word with the ergonomics on Emerald guitars), and each is a beautiful example of their different products. We are in a different world these days with all kinds of businesses being affected as collateral damage to the pandemic. Many have closed up. Many that haven't closed have had to restructure how they do business. My take is Emerald was fortunate (??) to have some stock built up when they first had to lockdown due to the virus. They didn't have that advantage this time around. Things will get back to some semblance of "normal," and assuming the demand is there, I would imagine it will take Emerald some time to get caught up to the point where they can have the manpower to build more guitars for in-stock.

I don't see this as a "new sales program," but their best shot at dealing with the situation. Their guitars are something special - I wish them all the best.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
...I don't see this as a "new sales program," but their best shot at dealing with the situation. Their guitars are something special - I wish them all the best.
At the time that I initiated this thread, I did not know if offering guitars only by special order with no in-stock offerings was a response to covid shortages or a new method of sales and distribution that would be more or less permanent. As David (eatswodo) pointed out, they've replenished their in-stock supply so that question has been answered to my satisfaction...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber