The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2021, 03:29 PM

Default New Guitar Soreness?

My Kopp is a month old and I'm getting an irritation on my left hand where it contacts the fretboard. It's on the palm side first knuckle. I had the frets dressed about ten days ago so everything feels fine to the touch. I'm not sure what to make of it and am wondering if it's part of the adjustment back to a 14 fret guitar. All my guitars for the past 3 years have been 12 frets. If I concentrate I can prevent contact but it's not my natural most comfortable position.
Old 01-20-2021, 03:36 PM

It's possible that your hand doesn't like the neck profile. Is it different than your other guitars, i.e. thicker?

When you mention "palm side first knuckle", is it the first finger or all fingers?

Curious, what happens if you put a capo in the 2nd fret (or higher) and play it for a couple days. Does the issue go away?
Old 01-20-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
My Kopp is a month old and I'm getting an irritation on my left hand where it contacts the fretboard. It's on the palm side first knuckle. I had the frets dressed about ten days ago so everything feels fine to the touch. I'm not sure what to make of it and am wondering if it's part of the adjustment back to a 14 fret guitar. All my guitars for the past 3 years have been 12 frets. If I concentrate I can prevent contact but it's not my natural most comfortable position.
Index finger? and is it the knuckle closest to you hand or the knuckle closest to your finger tip?
2008 Taylor 814CE
2020 Emerald X-30
Old 01-20-2021, 05:54 PM

Should have been clearer. It's a skin irritation on the palm side, first finger, first knuckle.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Probably not the finish...lacquer probably not much different builder to builder.
I'm not even pretending to be a doctor, just an old guy with aches/pains.

Could be something not guitar related...Low humidity/dry skin?
A new neck shape/fretboard shape/neck binding rough spot your hand is not used to?
try adjusting the way your grasp?
Bigger body, 2 more frets...balance maybe, try changing your position/posture.

Not suggesting this for you, but many of the aches I get are age/posture/efficiency related.

Quote:
Old 01-20-2021, 08:48 PM

Does the knuckle hurt? If so, maybe it's arthritis. Otherwise, check out remedies to treat chafed skin.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Should have been clearer. It's a skin irritation on the palm side, first finger, first knuckle.
Upon close examination the treble side fretboard edge is noticeably sharper than the bass side. Would this be something a luthier/tech could remedy without having to involve the frets?
Old 01-21-2021, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Upon close examination the treble side fretboard edge is noticeably sharper than the bass side. Would this be something a luthier/tech could remedy without having to involve the frets?
It's the fretboard itself that's sharp and not the frets? Is it the top of the fretboard or where the fretboard joins to the neck?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion