The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-12-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I build amps fairly regularly and have built a few Mojotone kits. The kits are quality, but the documentation is sparse and there's occasionally missing or incorrect parts. They're great about dropping replacements in the mail at no charge. It's always a good idea to verify values with a meter when possible with any kit, just as good practice.

Tube Depot doesn't make a TMB version of the kit you want, but their documentation is top shelf. Clear, accurate, well written instructions, and accompanying videos with tips to help you.

I've also gone through the directions StewMac published, and there's issues not apparent to a beginning or intermediate builder. Wire nuts absolutely do not belong in mobile electronic equipment that's subject to possible rough handling. Safety grounds are often done illegally in their kits (it's a code requirement that they get their own dedicated fastener, not tied together with others on a transformer bolt) and their power cord wiring usually does not meet code either. Just a heads up there. You'll get a working amp, but there's room for improvement in the safety department.
Great advice! I'll add that the 2 main changes I deviated from the Stew Mac directions were the power cord and ground wire. The advice I was getting online STRONGLY suggested I don't follow Stew Mac's directions on those. So I didn't but interestingly enough, I asked Stew Mac about it and they insist that you follow their directions exactly as written. I also did a small wire change from the power switch that was recommended. There were other recommendations but I felt so overwhelmed and clueless that I simply felt more comfortable following the directions. If I built another one, I'd be cool to follow all the advice. In the end, all the extra advice, besides the power cord and ground, were to make the amp quieter. In the end, my amp is fairly quiet unless I turn it to 1 or above lol. It's LOUD!
Old 11-12-2020, 03:28 PM

I’m really interested in a smaller kit like a champ. I’m pretty good with electronics. I was the electrical diag guy at my job as an auto tech.
Old 11-12-2020, 03:41 PM

Sweet! Thanks for your replies. I'll probably take it over to my amp guy for a safety check just to be sure.

And yes I will deficient build and get the proper tools for the job too.

I think I will pull the trigger tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:10 PM

So this is that cab I'm thinking of getting for this amp too. I think a Greenback ought to work well. What do you all think?

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/...2m-67-Heritage

The original combo's were a 1x12 right? Do you think a 2X12 would be better? I really like the angled idea of this cab. My Twin has kick back legs and I put my little Mesa on a kick back stand.
Old 11-14-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
So this is that cab I'm thinking of getting for this amp too. I think a Greenback ought to work well. What do you all think?

https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/...2m-67-Heritage

The original combo's were a 1x12 right? Do you think a 2X12 would be better? I really like the angled idea of this cab. My Twin has kick back legs and I put my little Mesa on a kick back stand.
My 18W is paired with a 1x12 loaded with a G12H30 Greenback. Superb pairing, though I wish I had a bigger cab like you linked for a bigger, fuller sound. That's going to sound great, just be aware it's going to get pretty loud when you crank that amp.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-14-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Oh, not bad. Been laying low on most social media with all the stuff happening this year. Everyone is so short tempered these days. Taking care of the family, riding my mountain bike, playing guitar at home, and working.
Good to hear from you Clint. We've missed your wisdom with amps . I avoid all social media except for the AGF. It's my escape, lol.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
My 18W is paired with a 1x12 loaded with a G12H30 Greenback. Superb pairing, though I wish I had a bigger cab like you linked for a bigger, fuller sound. That's going to sound great, just be aware it's going to get pretty loud when you crank that amp.
I really like the original design with the vibrato. The sound clips I heard from it were great but I went with the TMB without the vibrato becasue it has the master volume. That way I can get those tubes nice and hot but not blow the windows out of the neighbors house.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:14 PM

FWIW, I just saw stew mac is having a sale with $100 off of amp kits until the 18th.
Old 11-15-2020, 08:42 AM
Charter Member

Yes I admit I have pondered what seems like could be a great wintertime project of building an amp.
For me It would be an Amp Head and somewhere in the 5 - 20 watt range

I do know how to solder (a bit) and have soldered a couple times on the circuit board of my Monster 3500 power conditioner but am not what would be considered "experienced" by any means.

So I would be looking for a well designed , simple, straightforward all inclusive kit. I don't feel comfortable trying to spec my own components ......
And I am only interested in very good high quality components price is not so much a factor as quality and ease ( with the caveat that , up to the point where it might be only a little more money for an assembled one )

I currently have a Supro Titan 50 watt and REVV D20 20 watt, so I would be interested in a different contrasting flavor but not sure if it would be more like a Marshal or a Fender Blackface or Tweed flavor,,,,, or other ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-15-2020, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czgunner View Post
I’m really interested in a smaller kit like a champ. I’m pretty good with electronics. I was the electrical diag guy at my job as an auto tech.
When I asked about what kit to choose as my first, a lot of people suggested a Princeton or 5E3 because the chassis on those is bigger than the Champ (5F1) and they are not much more complex as far as the circuit board. When you go to solder the connections to the tube sockets, input jacks, etc. there's not a lot of room to maneuver.

I went with the Champ because I have small hands (gal with a 4 1/2 ring size) but YMMV.
Old 11-15-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acoustigoat View Post
When I asked about what kit to choose as my first, a lot of people suggested a Princeton or 5E3 because the chassis on those is bigger than the Champ (5F1) and they are not much more complex as far as the circuit board. When you go to solder the connections to the tube sockets, input jacks, etc. there's not a lot of room to maneuver.

I went with the Champ because I have small hands (gal with a 4 1/2 ring size) but YMMV.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 11-15-2020, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Yes I admit I have pondered what seems like could be a great wintertime project of building an amp.
For me It would be an Amp Head and somewhere in the 5 - 20 watt range

I do know how to solder (a bit) and have soldered a couple times on the circuit board of my Monster 3500 power conditioner but am not what would be considered "experienced" by any means.

So I would be looking for a well designed , simple, straightforward all inclusive kit. I don't feel comfortable trying to spec my own components ......
And I am only interested in very good high quality components price is not so much a factor as quality and ease ( with the caveat that , up to the point where it might be only a little more money for an assembled one )

I currently have a Supro Titan 50 watt and REVV D20 20 watt, so I would be interested in a different contrasting flavor but not sure if it would be more like a Marshal or a Fender Blackface or Tweed flavor,,,,, or other ?
I think Supro falls into the American sound category. Fender, Ampeg kind of thing. So My suggestion? Go for a British sound. The 18 Watt Marshall I am going to build might just be up your alley.
Old 11-16-2020, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
I think Supro falls into the American sound category. Fender, Ampeg kind of thing. So My suggestion? Go for a British sound. The 18 Watt Marshall I am going to build might just be up your alley.
Thanks for the reply As I understand it the Supro is a wee bit "Darker" than the traditional Fender but it is high headroom clean before brake up so you may be right on,,,, So are looking at a kit , which one , ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-24-2020, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

I am also thinking of building a kit. I'm retired and just looking for a fun project. I don't really need another amp.

I'm debating between the Mojotone and the StewMac Champ kits.

Not sure if the StewMac kit is worth the extra $, but maybe so for my first attempt.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I am also thinking of building a kit. I'm retired and just looking for a fun project. I don't really need another amp.

I'm debating between the Mojotone and the StewMac Champ kits.

Not sure if the StewMac kit is worth the extra $, but maybe so for my first attempt.
The thing with the StewMac kit, and what I needed the most, are the directions. I am proof that any fool can do it. The directions are simple and easy to follow. Step by step. And I think all of the components are just fine. It's my best sounding amp. Sounds better than the Fender Bassman 59 LTD that I just got rid of.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars