The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-27-2017, 09:01 AM

Default Most transparent acoustic booster pedal for the buck

I've been looking for a good acoustic boost or eq. pedal that would help me to cut through the mix during solos. I like how my acoustic is sounding as it is through my board...Maton>tuner>Xciter>TC hall of fame>Radial DI....so I'm looking for the cheapest solution that just boosts my lead and doesn't color the tone any further.

I feel kind of guilty looking for a booster because I already have a Xotic RC Booster and an EP booster on my E-Gitarre board that I don't use much anymore. I also have an old Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive.

I tried both the RC and EP booster but the RC sounded a little sterile to me and the EP seemed to the color the tone quit a bit as well. So did the Sparkle Drive.

Am I just being too picky? I've heard of a lot of people here using the Xotic RC and EP pedals as acoustic boosters for lead. I hear a coloration of tone though.

For a cheap solution I was considering using a graphic eq, Boss ge-7.

Seems like a lot of guys use them but I wonder how since there's soo much complaint everywhere that they are soo noisey!

The other option that sounded good to me and that was also recommended by a bluegrass player/friend was the MXR CAE MC 401/Line Driver.

I've been told that it's the most transparent. I found one used and almost bought it.

But again I'd feel guilty about spending the bucks when I already have 2 Xotic boosters sitting around not being used.
After spending the bucks on the MXR CAE would I only find out that it's not much more 'transparent' then the RC and EP booster I already have?

Is an eq pedal a cheaper solution?

Has the boss ge-7 noise/ hiss issues been solved yet? thanks
Old 12-27-2017, 12:07 PM

The RC and EP re great so not sure what you're looking for beyond these ...the "boost" is just for phrases/lead lines, right?

The reported noise of the GE7 is/isn't there depending on one's use and tolerance level. But yes, you can look for a modded one (e.g. Waza Craft or "Boss-waza") that have addressed the issues most folks report. These modded pedals are well regarded by many, FWIW ...I've no personal experience with them.

Edward
Old 12-27-2017, 12:55 PM

Default MXR CAE BOOST/LINE DRIVER

I would definitely recommend it.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/product/mc...t=&ecCategory=

Best thing to do before you buy is to find somewhere to try it out.

Can always order from Guitar Center if not available to try and then return it if you don't like it.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Edward, you had a good point.

I guess I was just wanting to know if there's much of a difference in 'transperancy' between the MXR Line Driver and the boosts that I already own. ie RC and EP booster.

You're right the 'boost' is mostly for lead lines.

Still just messing around w/ my RC Booster, it sounded a little sterile so I was
wondering if it's really designed to be used for an acoustic.

The EPbooster obviously colors the tone more because it was made to do that.

Thanks Emang! I've found a used one for sale here. Again, since I probably won't have much time to test it out or A/B against the Xotic boosters, I'm looking for tips from others to see if the MXR really excels the others enough as far as being more compatible for acoustic....enough to where it's worth buying it.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Are you comfortable modding pedals? If so the GE7 mod is super easy to do yourself and not pay “wazacraft” prices. You could also look at the values in your exotic pedals and play around a bit. I personally built a little boost pedal for myself that fits in a nano sized enclosure and does nothing but clean boost. I also put a voltage doubler in it so that it runs at 18v for more headroom. Exotic sells voltage doublers designed for use with their pedals, that may be something to try as well. I always recommend 18v or even 24v for things that are boosting clean signals if the internal components can handle it.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:43 PM

Probably not on your radar but the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI has a boost feature and was designed for an acoustic guitar. It allows you to pre-set the boost to suit your need and you simply tap the boost button with your foot when needed.
It also has great EQ features, trebles, bass and mids as well as compression, notch filters and feedback controls.
Probably overkill for you but it works really well. It also has a built in tuner with a button that mutes your signal while you tune up or any time you want.
$299

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-27-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Probably not on your radar but the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ/DI has a boost feature and was designed for an acoustic guitar. It allows you to pre-set the boost to suit your need and you simply tap the boost button with your foot when needed.
It also has great EQ features, trebles, bass and mids as well as compression, notch filters and feedback controls.
Probably overkill for you but it works really well. It also has a built in tuner with a button that mutes your signal while you tune up or any time you want.
$299
For that matter, if you like your radial di, they make two versions of their tonebone DI designed for acoustic instruments that both have a built in dedicated boost.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:06 PM

Thanks but for now I'd rather stick with the little Radial DI and the pedal board I set up. Probably a Braggs Venue, Tonebone or Fishman would've been the best way to go originally but I didn't know.

Now that I got the pedalboard I just need to a little notch of extra volume to send me through the mix.

At this point I think I've notched out some of the best 'clean' boost pedal options that work the best with acoustic....

MXR Line Driver or
BBE Boosta Grande

Any others opinions on the MXR Line Driver?

Then again I think maybe the best solution might be to get a Danelectro Fish & Chips eq and just turn up the level a few notches...finished
Old 12-27-2017, 07:13 PM

https://reverb.com/item/2102331-xoti...QAvD_BwE&pla=1
Old 12-27-2017, 09:03 PM

I have a Cusack "More Louder" mini pedal that is just that, more loud, no color. They sell for about $105.00 new on eBay (cheaper if you can find a used one). The RC Boost with the gain turned way down is meant to be used as a clean boost, the bass/treb controls should let you adjust well for the room. Don't know what you mean by the RC sounding Sterile, those tone controls should give you control over sterile. The Keeley Katana boost is another (full size MXR type box) very neutral clean boost that just takes whatever your giving it and makes it louder with no affectation. Good Hunting.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:40 AM

Try the TC Spark mini. Very affordable and extremely transparent.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 AM

Ive used a "fat boost" by fulltone. As I don't
Need or want much boost it sounds really clean
And does not color the tone.but you can make it louder if you want.. 30 bucks used on eBay.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:09 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think after understanding things better I'll just stick to the RC Booster unless I run across something used to try out. I kind of get it now that every booster and any eq. will 'color' the tone. Anything that raises the volume. I found an MXR CAE used but it's still over 100 bucks so probably not worth it. I'd probably switch over to a preamp DI ie Fishman, Braggs Venue or Tonebone.
Old 12-30-2017, 04:44 AM

I think one of the problems with boosting an acoustic is when you are trying it out in a non band/live situ you hear more amp (less direct guitar) when you boost ... and often this is not as pleasant as before the boost. Also, you are driving the amp harder and this can also change the sound a bit for the worse (or better, depending on what you want).

I certainly found this when I started with 'transparent' boosts ... i.e. ones that provide just a volume increase. Now I tend towards boosting with a slight tweak in EQ to balance this these effects. Strangely, the boost then sounds more transparent and just louder ... but of course it isn't because the sound has been processed to sound like that.

The other advantage of a boost with EQ is that you can get the guitar to stick out for solos without actually making the guitar louder which I prefer to the volume boost method.

Hope that helps in your quest.

My EQ boost of choice is Carl Martin ParaEQ, but I found a cheap one that also works is the TC Spark (full version with bass and treble controls). My only reservation with TC is that I have had failures with their pedals ... usually the switches ... which makes me reluctant to use any TC pedals live now. Shame, because they sound great ... but reliability is the most impoprtant quality for a live use pedal in my book. I wish TC Electronics would address this much discussed issue which so many have reported for so many of their pedals on so many forums
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 AM

The boxes by grace design are real nice preamp
The Felix I have has a boost that has a volume knob
And is compleatly transparent clean boost. The BIX is
The most affordable (295)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification