The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
Just an FYI:
I learned that no one on this site will try to talk you out of buying another new guitar.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:43 PM

0 lol

44 year old virgin when i joined the forum, some 7 month back.

No musical background, ne’er picked up a guitar.

Love the forum, love reading everyone’s post, even when i don't understand half of it.

I even contracted GAS, you really need to check your anti virus here, My Dr says its serious and highly contagious.

On that thought, i was already prepping my next, “pleas help me decide thread” coming up.

I am forever grateful forums like this exist, getting feedback from players young and old, and some sharing 50-60 years experience with you, is greatly appreciated by us beginners.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

Next to nothing.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHey! View Post
Someone on another thread about NGDs mentioned he didn’t know much about acoustic guitars when he joined the forum, and the forum has been a wealth a knowledge. That’s true for me, as well. I’d played guitar for 20+ years before joining the forum, but the majority of that time I acquired guitars more or less fortuitously and without much knowledge about any one guitar over another, whether acoustic or electric. When I decided to be a bit more deliberate in my search for a quality acoustic - It’ll be a “lifer,” I told myself, the last guitar I’ll ever buy. Hahahaha! - I started reading in earnest about different manufacturers, body sizes, wood combos, etc. Anyone who googles slightly more than a few acoustic guitar questions will see the AGF pop up again and again. That definitely happened for me. When I found myself coming to this forum over and over, I joined. When I joined, I knew quite a bit more than I had maybe a month before, but a lot of it I’d learned from the forum as a nonmember. Since joining, I’ve learned even more. Now I appreciate the acoustic guitar in a way I hadn’t even known I could.

So, how much did all of you know about acoustic guitars when you joined the AGF?
Before I join this forum, I only know there are three kinds of acoustic guitars: Martin, Taylor and Gibson. Finished.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 02-24-2021, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

10 or 11 years before I joined this forum I started participating on internet guitar forums. The first one was sponsored by Vintage Guitar magazine. It fizzled out and morphed into the 13th fret. Many of the topics we discussed over 20 years ago are still common threads on the AGF today. The big difference is the membership here is much larger and the number of folks contributing to any given thread is greater. That and the number of guitar and guitar related companies is also much larger which gives members more to discuss. And the ability to link websites and post videos is also a major difference that enhances participation.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:07 PM

I’ve learned that if a solid wood acoustic gets outside of its ideal humidity range by 1 to 2 percent for even a moment, it will render it useless. ��

I guess what has struck me the most is just how obsessive some people are about caring for their instruments. Not a knock on them, just an observation. I don’t abuse mine, but I sure don’t obsess over them as some on here do.

Last edited by Keith G50; 02-24-2021 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:08 PM

About 14 years ago, I bought my first Taylor guitar. It was an 814 and I wondered why it sounded different from my HD28. I found the Taylor guitar forum which became AGF.
Many guitars later, I know lots of info on makes, models, tonewoods etc.
Although in the end, to me, it comes down to which instrument sounds good and feels easy to play. I've got Collings, Santa Cruz and Martin guitars. I've got Eastman, Ovation and 70s Japanese import guitars. They all speak to me in one way or another.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:08 AM

When I joined AGF, I'd already been playing guitar for over 30 years. I knew a fair amount about guitars, courtesy of magazines I'd been reading for quite some time like Guitar Player Magazine, and Acoustic Guitar, and my uncle (who learned his guitar knowledge from my long deceased grandfather [a luthier], and passed it on to me). While I'd had acoustic guitars since Day 1, most of my knowledge was electric guitar biased (that what happens when you play in rock bands ), so acoustic guitar-wise I never really considered neck specs, tonewoods, etc. with that critical of an eye - as long as the guitar sounded good, and played OK, I was good to go.

Thanks to AGF, I've widened my acoustic guitar horizons quite a bit. Before AGF, I thought the only thing that mattered in acoustic guitars was dreadnoughts - I perceived smaller bodied other guitars as being ukelele-like sound-wise. Wrong!! They just sound different, but just as good - in some ways even better than 'dreads. As a result, my latest acquisition is an Eastman E8OM, OM sized guitar, that sounds killer. I've also learned about guitar brands, that I never would have known about in the past. As a result, I've know become kind of intrigued about the Beard Deco Phonics.

It goes to show you that you can always learn something new.

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 AM

Pretty much every forum I've joined in pursuit of my passions has improved my understanding of the subject. This forum included.

The down side is that every one of those forums seemed to have formed an attachment to my wallet, because the drain on it is frequent and noticeable.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:23 AM

I knew nearly as much as I know now about playing them. But I knew much, much less about how they are built, how they work, and how to take care of them. (And, I should add, how to shop for them.)
Martin D12X1AE
LaPatrie CW Concert

Last edited by nightchef; 02-25-2021 at 08:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion