The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-24-2021, 05:00 PM

Default Fingering question on Lagrima

Hello
I consider myself a novice player for sure. I did take some lessons initially but for the most part I am self taught.
I am currently working on Lagrima and I am having some difficulty with the 2nd fret 5 string bar. I have come up with some altered fingering that does not require the bar.
My question to the more experienced player, is this OK or should I persevere with the bar. I am playing it on both a steel string and nylon crossover. It seems a little easier on my nylon.
Thanks
Old 02-24-2021, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Reinhart View Post
Hello
I consider myself a novice player for sure. I did take some lessons initially but for the most part I am self taught.
I am currently working on Lagrima and I am having some difficulty with the 2nd fret 5 string bar. I have come up with some altered fingering that does not require the bar.
My question to the more experienced player, is this OK or should I persevere with the bar. I am playing it on both a steel string and nylon crossover. It seems a little easier on my nylon.
Thanks
Finding different fingerings is fine, IF, you don't compromise the musical lines. Indicated finger bars are sometimes there to keep note durations and melody voices going.
In Lagrima, I know of two 2nd fret finger bars. In the first and 4th measures of the second part. Is that what you mean? In both cases, it appears to me that they are the only way to keep note durations as required by the music.
I do have another transcription though in which the second bar is played up at the 7th fret, to grab the same notes (B-D#-F#). It's still a bar, but it might be easier to finger.
In both cases though, these are half-note bars. So, they have to be maintained for at least two beats as you play the other melody notes in the measure.
Hope that helps!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-24-2021, 06:10 PM

That does help!
Thank you, I'll stick with the bar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical