The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-29-2021, 10:27 AM

Default Contact mic advice needed.

I bought this a couple of weeks ago but I haven't fitted it yet.( I tried dangling it in the soundhole of a nylon string classical style guitar,plugged into a Fender Champion 20,just for a test and got a very quiet response.)
I guess,as a contact mic,it needs to be contacted to something. Not dangled.
I'm looking for advice on the best place to position it. Inside/outside the guitar?
Behind/forward of the bridge?

https://www.amazon.nl/dp/B00V4VQ1N4/...language=en_GB

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2021, 12:10 PM

It has sensors on the flat surface that must be activated by vibration so it HAS TO BE stuck on to the guitar. For my Takamine P5DC, the manufacturer says near the bridge on the bass side. I put mine inside the guitar since my preamp has an input for my particular pickup.

In your case, lightly affix it to the top of the guitar near the bridge close to the bass side. Experiment with placing it on the other side as well. Once you find a spot that works best, firmly affix it there. You may even want to affix it to the inside. Keep in mind the adhesive is more forgiving on a finished surface.
Old 01-30-2021, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

It's a misnomer - it's not really a mic but a piezo transducer pickup and yes, it needs to be stuck to the guitar body. Did it not come with a magnetic disk or at least some instructions on how to attach? I see from the Amazon ad it uses a sticky tape. I'd be loathe to attach that to a guitar with a nice finish.

I just purchased the Cling On pickup system which is very similar. That system comes with a small, magnetic disk that adheres to the inside of your guitar with some putty and then the pickup magnetically sticks to the outside in that area. It has a soft pad on the pickup so it won't mar your finish. And you can easily remove and move the disk inside.

I'm still in the early stages of using this system. I installed it in an area that doesn't give me great tone so the next time I change my strings I'm going to try to move it in a few different places to see if I get better tone. I've got it over behind the bridge on the treble side and it's too jangly. I think in the center would be better or maybe even toward the bass strings maybe.

When I bought mine I noticed several very similar systems that were extremely cheap on Amazon but I chose to go with what looked like a more reputable version since it was still relatively inexpensive and you often get what you pay for.

I did a shot video review of this system and a few new toys recently on the main page but I'll post a direct link below:

Last edited by Methos1979; 01-30-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-30-2021, 12:19 PM

Contact pickups need to be firmly stuck to the guitar top to work properly, putty, double sided tape or anything that doesn't rigidly stick the pickup on won't work. Superglue or epoxy is best, something that drys hard not soft. But that does usually make the installation a one time permanent job.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 01-30-2021, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Contact pickups need to be firmly stuck to the guitar top to work properly, putty, double sided tape or anything that doesn't rigidly stick the pickup on won't work. Superglue or epoxy is best, something that drys hard not soft. But that does usually make the installation a one time permanent job.
This is FALSE. I've had success using the double-sided tape K&K provides. I've had great success using putty with JJB pickups. I have two custom instruments where the builder glued the JJB SBT's in place, and 16 or more that I mounted with blu-tak putty. There is NO difference in volume, signal strength or anything else audible.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:28 AM

Thanks to you all for the replies. The mic came with no instructions, thats why I posted here. The reviews on Amazon seem mostly positive for such a cheap bit of gear and Im not looking for, or expecting, top quality sound. I just want to be able to plug into a loop machine.
It does come with a double sided sticky pad but as I was hoping to use it on multiple instruments, I will try a bit of tape or blu-tak.
I will experiment and let you know how it works out. Thanks again.
Old 02-18-2021, 06:35 PM

Default Using Hide glue to attach contact pickup

I get the best results for contact pickup installation using Franklin liquid hide glue . Cut it by 20 - 50% with warm water, and use a deep throated C clamp to hold in place while the glue dries. I prefer to install contact pickups somewhere on the bridge plate as removal at a later time will not damage the soundboard, even though I use thinned hide glue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification