The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-03-2021, 06:26 PM

Live speakers and studio speakers have significantly different design parameters. I would NOT use one type in both environments.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci

Last edited by Gordon Currie; 02-05-2021 at 09:09 PM. Reason: forgot to include the word NOT.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:07 PM

Got the Kali's. I found some isolators on ebay for cheap (Radial Ice Cube's), which is what I was trying to find, so just ordered the speakers. I have everything else I need I think. We'll see. Supposedly delivery is early next week. I'll report back later when I have an initial impression on the speakers.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishn View Post
Got the Kali's. I found some isolators on ebay for cheap (Radial Ice Cube's), which is what I was trying to find, so just ordered the speakers. I have everything else I need I think. We'll see. Supposedly delivery is early next week. I'll report back later when I have an initial impression on the speakers.
Study placement of nearfield studio monitors. Basically they should be at ear level (when you are sitting in front of them) and form an equilateral triangle with your head. Don't put the table on which they're placed in a corner or too close to a wall. It's usually better to place the table in your room across the longer wall and not the shorter wall.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Study placement of nearfield studio monitors. Basically they should be at ear level (when you are sitting in front of them) and form an equilateral triangle with your head. Don't put the table on which they're placed in a corner or too close to a wall. It's usually better to place the table in your room across the longer wall and not the shorter wall.
" Across the longer wall " ??? Not sure what that means, but I have all ways read and seen the mixing desk/table as being placed lengthways between the longer walls facing a shorter wall , is that what you mean ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 02-08-2021, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

I've owned the 8 inch Kalis for a couple years, couldn't be happier w/ the purchase.

JBLs previously and they didn't work as well, always had to adjust my mix after listening on other sources. Not w/ the Kalis.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:53 PM

I've had the speakers here (Kali 6.5") for a few days and so far so good. I have not had a good handle on the volume/loudness yet but have had them "too loud" for the room here. I do not know where the distortion point is in my application. As far as I can tell the volume is fine for the room as I wanted. The sound out of them is crisp and clear. Yes, I am not in an acoustically treated environment so I will only hear so good of audio. I am happy with them so far.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD