The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 02-06-2021, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Default Good video and comments from John Williams

Williams and some playing by Segovia.

Some good info on tone control and other comments. Very steady right hand on Recuerdos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_BzuMN_SA

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-07-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
He is a tremendous player and has been very influential to many students and pros alike. The very first classical recording I bought featured the BWV 1007 cello suite and a few other popular pieces (he was playing the prelude at the beginning of the video).
I'm glad I got to see him close up in concert. Symphony Hall in Boston had screwed up my ticket order and didn't have my tickets when I showed up at the booth to pick them up the day of the concert. They were very nice about it and gave me front row center as replacements. Usually, those aren't the best seats for symphony type concerts, but for a solo guitarist, you can't ask for much better.
He was in fine playing mode that day, with only a minor flub in the Bourree from the Bach 4th lute suite, which annoyed him to no end. He was visibly upset with himself. The rest of the concert was flawless. Just like listening to his recordings.
Personally, I like his early tone better than his most recent recordings. I think it has to do with his guitar choices. He obviously loves the Smallman he plays, but it almost makes him sound amplified to my ears. Not as much warmth or roundness as there used to be.
Still great though of course.
Thanks again for posting the video.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-07-2021, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Interesting video. Thanks for posting.
He is a tremendous player and has been very influential to many students and pros alike. The very first classical recording I bought featured the BWV 1007 cello suite and a few other popular pieces (he was playing the prelude at the beginning of the video).
I'm glad I got to see him close up in concert. Symphony Hall in Boston had screwed up my ticket order and didn't have my tickets when I showed up at the booth to pick them up the day of the concert. They were very nice about it and gave me front row center as replacements. Usually, those aren't the best seats for symphony type concerts, but for a solo guitarist, you can't ask for much better.
He was in fine playing mode that day, with only a minor flub in the Bourree from the Bach 4th lute suite, which annoyed him to no end. He was visibly upset with himself. The rest of the concert was flawless. Just like listening to his recordings.
Personally, I like his early tone better than his most recent recordings. I think it has to do with his guitar choices. He obviously loves the Smallman he plays, but it almost makes him sound amplified to my ears. Not as much warmth or roundness as there used to be.
Still great though of course.
Thanks again for posting the video.
There is some controversy among classical guitar players regarding the tone of Smallman guitars. He uses a quite unusual bracing method on his guitar tops.
Never heard Williams in person though was fortunate to be able to see Segovia in concert twice.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-07-2021, 12:29 PM

Thanks for posting this video- very good stuff! Nice to see Williams playing
that cello suite prelude (maybe that's his spruce Fleta?). The recording that
Andre mentioned was one of my first CG discs- IIRC he played the third
cello suite on it too, and superbly. Very nice to see the Segovia clips as well.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:34 AM

Very interesting - thanks.

Amazing performance of Recuerdos!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 02-10-2021, 03:49 PM

12 hours to be a rock guitarist? LOL That's funny.

You don't need nails to play classical guitar either.

Heck of a good performance by Williams though for sure.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Thank you for posting this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical